Nsw Xmas In July Case 2008

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You did completely the right thing by subbing another beer if that one wasn't up to scratch. :icon_cheers: Just commenting that the recipe itself looks good to me and so it might have been something else that made it ordinary. Bring up a bottle and somebody might be able to work out what's not right about it (or maybe it's actually good and it's just you. :lol: )

I am a hard task master when it comes to my brews, but I made a smoky porter for the IBU case swap at the same time and got a similiar sort of result - drinkable but lacking that "bling" . The grain bill should have produced a malty / smoky taste but barely reached the mark. Cortez thought it had a possible infection taste but I've had a couple since and I can't really place that idea. As these were amongst my first all grain efforts I reckon I'll put the results down to lack of experience. Since subbing the braid with Beerbellys' false bottom, I'm getting better results, as well as spending a day pulling everything apart and cleaning all my tuns, urn and fermenters thoroughly. We'll see what happens, especially with about 100kg of fine grains either in or about to go into the stockpile. See ya in June

Rotery Ho Hunter case swappers. 4 weeks to go and the clock is ticking.

we need to organise a spot to assemble all the beers for transport.

There is a good chance i will be picking up Schooey on the day so i guess it would be logical to leave them at either his place or mine.

As far as i can tell we have 4 contenders.

2. Tony - Most likely a stout
16. Schooey
18. Thirstywench
25. Loftboy - Premium Australian 'Lager'

3 of the 4 are active on this thread..... i will try and work out how to send a PM to Thirstywench and see if she remembers us :)

cheers

Happiness is a full case swap list and 27 bottles for consumption during the Olympics in August :beerbang:

Sadness is only getting 26 bottles out of the fermenter (thought I had enough for 30 !). Mini brew planned for next few days -12 litre batch of same recipe for a couple of spare longnecks and a carton of stubbies ! Plus I can have a taster and see if all is well !

Or is someone thinking of pulling out ....................... :rolleyes:

I modified my house ale for the swap. This is something of a Winter Warmer version. Made a bigger batch than normal as well, but stuck to the buckets for measurement:

About 15% Wheat Malt
A bucket and a half of JW Trad Ale
About 3/4 pint glass of light choc malt
About 1/2 kilo white sugar
About 150g "rich" brown sugar

Hit 1.062.

Hopped with 35g of Northern Brewer at 60
30g EKG 20mins
40g "mystery hop" at whirlpool

Fermenting with 1099 Whitbread Ale.

A Mars bar to any non-IBU who can pick the exact variety of the mystery hop.

Hopped with 35g of Northern Brewer at 60
30g EKG 20mins

OOOOOOOOOO a challenge :)

Is it cascade?

is it, is it, is it?

:p

Challenger?
I hope its Challenger...
Please be Challenger...because i'm now officially in love with that hop! :icon_drool2:

Tony, thought your 1st guess would have been POR! :lol: Moved to the dark side have we? ;)

Na mate....... not this century!

However....... you will never guess what the 50 IBU's of my mystery hop is :ph34r:

cheers

Time to taste and transfer from keg to bottles for my submission tonight.
Had to have a quick taster to make sure that it was up to standard.

The velvety creamy tan head looked ok, but the tightness of the bubbles in the foam was maybe just a little too tight.
The deep black but not black colour with subtle ruby highlights was maybe just a smidge darker than what I was aiming for.
The tan residue lacing on the glass was well formed and almost in a nice helical form that is artful and eye pleasing, but fails on symmetry.
The balance between maltyness, sweetness, body and hop flavour with just a hint of roast will please many in that it is very quaffable, but you may only come back for 5 pints and I was aiming for a 6 pint session beer.

So, I'm thinking that even though I've bottled most of my contribution (second keg bottling planned for tomorrow night), I'm considering not boring you guys and gals with a sub-standard entry.

Doc

There is a good chance i will be picking up Schooey on the day so i guess it would be logical to leave them at either his place or mine.

16. Schooey
18. Thirstywench

3 of the 4 are active on this thread..... i will try and work out how to send a PM to Thirstywench and see if she remembers us :)

cheers
Thirstywench was recently on the HAG swap thread. Give her a pm. FYI...

The balance between maltyness, sweetness, body and hop flavour with just a hint of roast will please many in that it is very quaffable, but you may only come back for 5 pints and I was aiming for a 6 pint session beer.
:lol: Hahaha nice one Doc.
To best honest, I have no idea the difference between a 5 and a 6 pint session beer, but what you've described sounds fantastic either way! Can't wait!

16. Schooey
18. Thirstywench

cheers

Tony how could I forget?

I can thank a crap internet connection for most of time away from AHB. And pure laziness for the other bits.

I'm happy to drop off wherever I need to if you guys are willing to ship it down for me. Just let me know where to go (in the nicest possible way of course) and I'll make sure it get there in plenty of time.

I'll be contibuting either an IPA or an Aussie Draught.

Slainte
Thirsty Wench

:D

Was just sending you a PM as you posted, Carol. I have loftboy sorted (I think), Tony. So it's just up to you and I to sort out when and where and which car we take..

Ahh good......... David got on to you. I figured you would be closer. Good to hear from you too ThirstyW........... i was thinking you forgot us!

Shoud we take a free company car or wing it in the V8 Holden Ute :) Its low, loud and lots of fun.

The doors squeek, the speakers turn on and off, the drivers side window doesnt work, the electric ariel is broken, but its got 250HP and an open 3 inch exhaust, twin cats and pacemaker headers :) Full suspension upgrade with inch thick sway bars.

what do you recon mate.............. you game? :unsure: :lol:

Ahh good......... David got on to you. I figured you would be closer. Good to hear from you too ThirstyW........... i was thinking you forgot us!

Shoud we take a free company car or wing it in the V8 Holden Ute :) Its low, loud and lots of fun.

The doors squeek, the speakers turn on and off, the drivers side window doesnt work, the electric ariel is broken, but its got 250HP and an open 3 inch exhaust, twin cats and pacemaker headers :) Full suspension upgrade with inch thick sway bars.

what do you recon mate.............. you game? :unsure: :lol:

Only if you drive it like you stole it...

I'll be fine mate, I'm a firm believer in the 'Get in, sit down, hang on and shut up' theory. I think I have Thirst sorted for her entry too, once it's fermented...

Hey, can you guys drive past my place just so I can see it?? lol

Got to love an old ute with grunt

How do you pronounce that? :unsure: :huh:

She aint that old........... its a 99 model!

This is when it was a bit newer and the window worked :angry:

cheers

the_ute_001.jpg

Latest posts

Back