Full Pint: Brew Supplies

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because it is conical the side of the flask is almost flat when you pour, which means the bar doesn't come out easily.

I've poured a few stir bars into fermenters before. I now use another stir bar under the flask to catch the internal one.

Be careful putting a large flask down with a magnet on the bottom though! I broke my previous 5L when I put it down full with a magnet stuck to the bottom. The point load cracked it pretty bad :~(

Stux said:
I've poured a few stir bars into fermenters before. I now use another stir bar under the flask to catch the internal one.

Be careful putting a large flask down with a magnet on the bottom though! I broke my previous 5L when I put it down full with a magnet stuck to the bottom. The point load cracked it pretty bad :~(
Really? Wow.

What brand is the flask that we are talking about?

That's about 5x9.8N /30 mm^2
Or about 1.66 x 10^6N/m^2

Which is 1.66 mPa at stir bar/flask interface. Or 16.38 times atmospheric pressure.

I wonder what borosilicate is rated to.

Spiesy said:
Really? Wow.

What brand is the flask that we are talking about?
Yes really :)

It was mostly full at the time.

It was Marienfeld, not as good as the Schott-Duran that I replaced it with, but it was still German pyrex. It had a slightly convex bottom, where as the Schott is flat. Also I think it was thicker than the Schott

Almost 2 years to the day. Was a very sad day :(

IMG_3244.jpg

IMG_3246.jpg

IMG_3247.jpg

Stux said:
Also I think it was thicker than the Schott
Schott have a few different flasks available. The "heavy duty", thicker walled flasks are actually more susceptible to cracking when transferring between hot and cold, which is why we went with what we did.

Sorry guys, but can you please keep conversations in our Full Pint thread specific to Full Pint?

Appreciate your support.

FP Update

2014 crop Australian hops have hit the shop… we have Australian Cascade, Ella, Galaxy and Victoria's Secret; all super-dooper fresh!

We've also topped up in several grains and hops that several people have been waiting on as well as added some newies.

Cheers.

Hey guys,

Just a quick heads up… Full Pint Andrew (aka Cocko) is off to Europe with his wife for a well-earnt holiday for June. For those of you playing at home, Andrew is the bloke that picks and packs your orders and holds down the warehouse at Full Pint. He gets back 28th June.
During this period I'll be fulfilling orders outside of business hours (as I also have a day job), so there may be a 1-day delay, as we can't do same day despatch during this period. Most people won't experience any difference.

The good news is we have a 10% off promotion (click the image above) that should help us serve your needs whilst we're a man down, and you can save yourself some cashola.

Services will resume as normal on 28th June 2014. We appreciate your support and understanding.

Cheers.

Hey Spiesy, I just did the survey (clicked the link above) - I'm a sucker for freebies. All fine but it didn't ask for any name/email etc. I was concerned you won't know who to send the prize to when I win B) or is my identity automatically collected from AHB?

technobabble66 said:
Hey Spiesy, I just did the survey (clicked the link above) - I'm a sucker for freebies. All fine but it didn't ask for any name/email etc. I was concerned you won't know who to send the prize to when I win B) or is my identity automatically collected from AHB?
Hey Stu, did you do it around 8am this morning? Initially the survey didn't have a name field, one person lodged the survey prior to this. I'm guessing that was you?

Sorry mate. My bad. I'll be sure to mark you down as entered.

Yep, I jumped on the "free stuff" opportunity.
Once I pull my finger out and brew again, I will be hitting you guys up for sure. Location alone makes it well worth my while :) Can go past on a thurs arvo, then drop in at Kooinda for a sneaky one on the way home.

surly said:
Yep, I jumped on the "free stuff" opportunity.
Once I pull my finger out and brew again, I will be hitting you guys up for sure. Location alone makes it well worth my while :) Can go past on a thurs arvo, then drop in at Kooinda for a sneaky one on the way home.
Mmm… Kooinda! :kooi:

Latest posts

Back