Full Pint: Brew Supplies

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So what speed do you use for the stir plate?. 2-3 clicks from start looks good but not sure. I imagine a gentle stirring is all that's needed?.

Got some Scottish ale going in once I've boiled the starter. Going into a bitter, then the cake will ferment a 1.070 case swap porter. Excited!

mje1980 said:
So what speed do you use for the stir plate?. 2-3 clicks from start looks good but not sure. I imagine a gentle stirring is all that's needed?.

Got some Scottish ale going in once I've boiled the starter. Going into a bitter, then the cake will ferment a 1.070 case swap porter. Excited!
Generally look for a vortex of around an inch (can be less in smaller starters, 500ml etc). The amount of clicks it takes to get there depends mainly on the volume of your starter.

Their is a concern with inferior flasks. If they don't have a flat bottom, it's easy for a normal stir bar to be thrown - and a stir bar with a pivot point might be needed. Of course larger volume starters (5l etc) will require a big RPM to produce the vortex, and this exacerbates the chances of throwing your stir bar.

Cheers mate, I think my flask may be a cheapy. It does have a slight concave bottom. So far the starter ( I don't waste time!! ) is revolving slowly at about 3 clicks up from off. Got a nice little circle on top that's revolving so It looks like it's working fine. Excited for tomorrow to hopefully pitch.

Oh it needs an actual vortex?. Just ramped it up a few.

mje1980 said:
Oh it needs an actual vortex?. Just ramped it up a few.
It doesn't need to look like a hurricane, but a little vortex promotes some nice gas exchange and increased surface area.

What do you mean?

In only a few hours I almost have a full white foam covering in the flask. To be fair it is fresh yeast but it's a great sign. I normally throw out yeast samples that are 12 months old but now I can happily revive them with this. Awesome. I'm hoping I don't have to clean up a mess tomorrow haha.

Definately be able to pitch tomorrow. Loving it!!

Sounds great mje. Photo? Curious to see the krausen. What size flask / pitch amount are you using?

Asking me mje?

I meant I put the rpm at whatever level after which the stir bar gets thrown to the side. I'm a stir plate noob though. Still, first starter got overnight spin and seemed to have multiplied a bit.

practicalfool said:
Asking me mje?

I meant I put the rpm at whatever level after which the stir bar gets thrown to the side. I'm a stir plate noob though. Still, first starter got overnight spin and seemed to have multiplied a bit.
sorry - should have quoted. That was not clear at all. - curious to see the white foam in mje's flask.

lael said:
Sounds great mje. Photo? Curious to see the krausen. What size flask / pitch amount are you using?
No pic, as the starter is in the fridge cooling to pitch temp!. I got a good krausen and it looked like it was done. Pretty happy.

I used a 3 litre flask with a 1.5 litre starter. I saved about 300ml in raegent bottle as first gen yeast so I've got a good clean sample for stepping it up later on.

practicalfool said:
Asking me mje?
I figured out what you meant mate, tah.

Oh, one question, how do you get the stir bar without pitching it into your wort!? I'm sure it's sanitised but how do I get it?

I just decant off the wort when crashed, then swirl and then pour it in. Stir bar stays at the bottom of the Erlenmeyer.

mofox1 said:
Lol. Use another magnet to drag it up the side and out. Or be very, very careful.

Mick.
That. I'm using the screw picker tool. Just holding it while the starter pours out.

mje1980 said:
Oh, one question, how do you get the stir bar without pitching it into your wort!? I'm sure it's sanitised but how do I get it?
Unplug your stir plate, and then you can either:
  1. hold stir plate under flask when pouring out, stir bar won't move, or
  2. use magnets on stir plate to drag stir bar to the lip of flask and out.

Latest posts

Back