Bjcp Training Course

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Either day is fine for me. Sunday probably the best.
Is the intended time morning, arvo or night?

Pete

Nooch

I would like to kick things off on Sat 20th or Sun 21st ie in a weeks time. How does a 2-3 hour session at Cardiff in the afternoon suit people ?

I would like to do it on the 20th as i will be flying to figi on the 21st B)

But dont let me stop any one else having fun

rurik

I can make Sunday but not Saturday. Got mother in laws suprise 50th at our place.

Sorry guys - 20-21st no good for me. :(
Have already forked out non-refundable $$$ for Sat & Sun arvo.
Could maybe do Sat morning if finished around noon??

Shmick

Hi Dave,

Sorry for the late reply but I'd like in if possible. Anywhere and time will suit.

Cheers

Geoff White

hmmmm....obviously not our Back Yard Brewer here in SA :huh: (was wondering why BYB was keen on heading to NSW to do BJCP), I can see some confusion brewing on AHB along with the beer.....only thing different about your nicknames is a space and a capital...... :huh:

I am easy for either day, when will we know for sure?

How about now ? :lol:

Sorry for the last minute rush - those who know me will NOT be surprised, those who don't know me well have something to learn !

Taking a balanced approach it looks like Sunday @ 2pm suits best - so Sunday it is then. Non-starters will have their share of the beer drunk for them and will have to catch up - we will set your homework. But honestly we will come back and refresh the styles as we progress so there is no problem missing the odd session or two.

If we kick off at 2pm we can get through some lager styles and get started on Beer Evaluation.

I will PM contact details etc.

Thanks
Dave

I'm good for tomorrow, should make it by 2pm, have to ride though, hope it's a bit cooler tomorrow :(

Do we pay tomorrow?

Well I had an enjoyable (and educational) afternoon - thanks to Dave for hosting the first get together. Now all I have to do is work out what face/name goes with which AHB member.

One thing I did think could be useful (and just to add a little bit more work for Dave) would be if we could get a list of the beers we tasted. I know Dave was bringing down the empty bottles, but I wasn't organised enough to write anything down.

Ben

One thing I did think could be useful (and just to add a little bit more work for Dave) would be if we could get a list of the beers we tasted. I know Dave was bringing down the empty bottles, but I wasn't organised enough to write anything down.

i wrote most of them down but i don't have the list with me here at work

From memory, might even be in the right order:

Bud
Miller Genuine Draft
VB
Weihenstephaner Original
DAB
Konig Pilsner
Staropramen
HB Pils from the Hag Comp
JS Pils
HB CAP
Something else at the end which I can't recall, might have been a Helles

Looks pretty close to me, Scotty. Can't remember the last one either. Big thanks to Dave for taking the time out and opening his home up for us to be able to do this. The brewing bug is going strong in the Hunter

Looks pretty close to me, Scotty. Can't remember the last one either. Big thanks to Dave for taking the time out and opening his home up for us to be able to do this. The brewing bug is going strong in the Hunter

You are most welcome Tony - it was a welcome break from working 7 days per week.

The last one was Hofbrau Original from Munich.

Dave

Big thanks Dave, that was a excellent lead in to beer judging. Enjoying the extra reading you provided.

Thanks for the list of beers guys.

I've got a suggestion for the next session - what about tasting some beers with obvious flaws?

As I mentioned in the first session I had picked up DMS before but not known what it was. I'm thinking something along the lines of really pronounced diacetyl, acetaldehyde, tannins, etc.

I can pick up some acetaldehyde in Blue Tongue Lager - but some of the other flavour defects remain a bit of a mystery to me.

No one wants to drink bad beer, but for me it would be a useful training tool. I'm guessing the beers would have to be brewed using bad methods in order to produce these otherwise undesirable flavours/aromas.

Just a thought - if no one else thinks it any good I might have to do some "bad beer homework" :)

Benniee

I've got a suggestion for the next session - what about tasting some beers with obvious flaws?

As I mentioned in the first session I had picked up DMS before but not known what it was. I'm thinking something along the lines of really pronounced diacetyl, acetaldehyde, tannins, etc.

I can pick up some acetaldehyde in Blue Tongue Lager - but some of the other flavour defects remain a bit of a mystery to me.

No one wants to drink bad beer, but for me it would be a useful training tool. I'm guessing the beers would have to be brewed using bad methods in order to produce these otherwise undesirable flavours/aromas.

Just a thought - if no one else thinks it any good I might have to do some "bad beer homework" :)

Benniee
Those flavours will be mentioned as David presents some home-brewed examples of beer styles.

There is a session which is dedicated to flavour faults. You may have to wait. Taste the good beers first and enjoy them.

You will really enjoy the course! :icon_cheers:

Benniee

Hi Ben,

As Les mentioned there is a certain structure to the course that gives the best results. At this stage we are focusing on the differences between the diffrent styles.

This is all described on the BJCP website - just follow the links in the handouts that you were given.

I will have a full program for you when we register the course with the BJCP.

Thanks
Dave

Latest posts

Back