Bjcp Training Course

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigfridge

Reaction score
Hi All,

Over the past year there have been numerous promises, threats and rumours about another BJCP training course being run in the Hunter. As I have been the main instigator of these rumours I feel that I am best placed to confirm (or deny) them. :rolleyes:

Anyway we are now ready to roll with a set of resources and a series of tutorial sessions. These will be run by a number of the Hunter's top BJCP judges and brewers. Numbers by necessity need to be limited, but I would like to invite any interested people to contact me either by PM or by posting a reply here.

To get the most out of these sessions you will need to be able to meet the following:

- Be available for a two hour session held every 2-3 weeks.
- Pay approx $100 for the costs of beer samples and the BJCP exam
- Attend a Master Class at Potters brewery on 4th October.
- Attend the Bitter & Twisted Festival at Maitland Goal on the 1-2 November
- Sit the formal exam in January 2009 (or some other agreed time)
- Be a non-smoker or refrain from smoking during and for at least 4 hours prior, to each training session due to the effect that it can have on the other tasters.

Once I have a list of possible attendees we can agree on suitable session times and locations.

Let the tasting begin !

Dave

arrggghhhh!!!

So want to do this, but just in the wrong location!!! Well done on getting it up and running!

To get the most out of these sessions you will need to be able to meet the following:

- Be available for a two hour session held every 2-3 weeks.
- Pay approx $100 for the costs of beer samples and the BJCP exam
- Attend a Master Class at Potters brewery on 4th October.
- Attend the Bitter & Twisted Festival at Maitland Goal on the 1-2 November
- Sit the formal exam in January 2009 (or some other agreed time)
- Be a non-smoker or refrain from smoking during and for at least 4 hours prior, to each training session due to the effect that it can have on the other tasters.

How many of the 2 hour sessions are involved, and over what time frame? I spend a lot of time at my son's place in Maitland and all the other criteria are fine for me as I was hoping to get to Bitter and Twisted this year and a trip to Potters is a fave anyway, though not too keen on a long weekend to be honest.

Cheerz Wabster

How many of the 2 hour sessions are involved, and over what time frame?

Hiya,

Starts September, ends January.

Once I have a list of possible attendees we can agree on suitable session times and locations.

ie they are open to negotiation but there will be about 6 or 7.

... I was hoping to get to Bitter and Twisted this year and a trip to Potters is a fave anyway, though not too keen on a long weekend to be honest.

You may have misunderstood the purpose or intent of the course - these are working days where you will be practising or doing judging as part of the B&T festival. With Sept and October being 'beer maddness' months there are no other free weekends to hold them.

Thanks
Dave

Put me down as a definate. Can't wait
Lee

Can I take a temp spot for now with a definite answer within a week, Dave? Just have to get some ducks in a line with work and SWCTM, but I'm dead keen!

I'm in Dave. Great to see this getting off the ground!

Go for it fellas! One of the best things you'll do for your palates - and with a few excursions thrown in for good measure this time as well by the sounds of it! Good on ya Dave for getting things rolling again. You lot down there should all shout him a beer! Or at least sling him a few of your best brews. And good stuff Keith for getting on board as well with Potters. If you guys are happy I'll sling in a mixed carton of ours to help keep you judges lubricated. Don't want any of you drying out now do we?

Good luck with it Dave, Keith and all the HAGS. If any of you guys are wavering just jump in and do it. A great course in my experience and wish I could be down there to help out a bit - and join in the fun - myself! Will get to say G'day at B and T with any luck.

Shawn.

Put me down as a definite please. Happy to travel wherever etc. to do this.

Put me down as a definite please. Happy to travel wherever etc. to do this.

So, it looks like we have the following starters:

Benniee
Leeboy
Schooey
Goatherder
fingolfin
michael mosely
shmick
Peve
Rurik

Plus as possible Exam Sitters I have:

MartinS
berapnopod
Nooch

If I have missed anyone, please sing out.

I would like to kick things off on Sat 20th or Sun 21st ie in a weeks time. How does a 2-3 hour session at Cardiff in the afternoon suit people ?

Now I understand that life has a terrible habbit of getting in the way, of such things so it is not required that you attend every session, but you will need to catch up on your reading and do your 'homework'.

Would all attendees please post/PM your availability for the 20/21st so that I can get some beers organised.

Thanks
David

Being based very close to Cardiff either day suits me - afternoon preferably.

I'm happy to go with the flow - particularly when some guys will be traveling much further than me.

Benniee

Sounds good to me, Cardiff is a bit of hike from my place though :p
That is my birthday weekend too.

Sounds good to me, Cardiff is a bit of hike from my place though :p
That is my birthday weekend too.

And what better birthday present could one want.
There is no doubt in the minds of anyone who has trekked the BJCP path (from relative newbies to highly experienced brewers and judges) that the uptake of knowledge through a well conducted course is huge.
I had to do a double take just a few minutes ago when I realised that is now over 4 years since the BJCP kicked off in Australia, and Dave has been there from the begining. I am not saying it is easy though, its hard though delightfull slog, but the benefits, even if you choose not to sit the exam, will last for many birthdays to come.

K

Either day is OK for me David but I'd probably prefer Sunday.

Which styles are first up?

Latest posts

Back