Bjcp Course - Melbourne 2009/10

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just leave it their CM2 then you dont need to remember it next time.

for those going to BJCP tonight, I will be there. So if you've still got to get some stuff off me, you can do so tonight. If your not there I'll bring it to the next meeting also.

see you there for some lovely strong belgians and french ales

for those going to BJCP tonight, I will be there.
Really? Cuz you said that last time... just stirring. i'll try and remember to bring that yeast of yours if I'm able to go.

Really? Cuz you said that last time... just stirring. i'll try and remember to bring that yeast of yours if I'm able to go.
bite me buddy!

yup im coming, even despite my sprained ankle. im even leaving work early to make sure i get there.

edit: your mention of yeast just gave me a thought. we should be collecting the yeast dregs from tonights flight for cultering.

bite me buddy!
yup im coming, even despite my sprained ankle. im even leaving work early to make sure i get there.
edit: your mention of yeast just gave me a thought. we should be collecting the yeast dregs from tonights flight for cultering.

Enjoy the belgians boys! Can't make it tonight, its either train and be selected for cricekt finals or drink Belgians....

I know, i know im not a team player. :icon_chickcheers:

you guys missed a good night.,

Doctored beer session, 2 saisons and a beer de guarde. belgian strongs and trouble shooting next week.

you guys missed a good night.,

Doctored beer session, 2 saisons and a beer de guarde. belgian strongs and trouble shooting next week.

Awww crap! i knew something good was happening last night. I almost came up directly after circket training finished @ 7:30 but i didnt want to doctor your beers with the odour of sweat. :icon_cheers:

I might have to chat to Andy about the doctoring kits so atlest i can get some familiarality with a few faults.

What faults did you play around with?

all of them. well at least 10. i dont have my notes here. if you look at the caseswap thread youll see what we tasted for diacetyl in addition to the doctoring kit.

there was even some entertainment at one point. but enough said about that.

Dupoint Saison :icon_drool2:

bugger, was really hoping to make it for the faults session. had some issues with one of my dogs last night - that took priority.

Dupoint Saison

The only Belgian from Belgium worth drinking! :ph34r: Organic or the standard?!

Damn, just having a look thru the BJCP doctoring guide there are only a few im not totally familliar with, A 6 pack of Heineken will probably help solve my problems. Lightstruck, Oxidation and distinct sulfur aromas are what im lacking a firm grasp on at most times. Oh and a true interpretation of acetaldehyde, how did you doctor this? Its not noted in the BJCP study guide.

The only Belgian from Belgium worth drinking! :ph34r: Organic or the standard?!

Damn, just having a look thru the BJCP doctoring guide there are only a few im not totally familliar with, A 6 pack of Heineken will probably help solve my problems. Lightstruck, Oxidation and distinct sulfur aromas are what im lacking a firm grasp on at most times. Oh and a true interpretation of acetaldehyde, how did you doctor this? Its not noted in the BJCP study guide.
the kit has viles of stuff that doctors the beers, so nfi how it works.

bud and cascade light was the beers being doctored. by the end of the session the bud was tasting good!

the standard dupoint it was.

Dave - hope both bailey and molsen are ok.

edit: you should ahve heard the line up for next week :icon_drool2:

duvel
Rochefort 10
St Bernardus Pater 6, Prior 8 and Abt 12
Westvleteren 8 (I think)

Oh and a true interpretation of acetaldehyde, how did you doctor this? Its not noted in the BJCP study guide.
Green apples.
Pretty easy to recreate in beer - under pitch with old slurry, or just use an old pack of US-05.
Probably the most common fault I've noticed in case-swaps to date (other than acetobacter infection :lol: )

edit: you should ahve heard the line up for next week :icon_drool2:

duvel
Rochefort 10
St Bernardus Pater 6, Prior 8 and Abt 12
Westvleteren 8 (I think)
:icon_drool2:
Need any "volunteers" to help with this?

Four* buy a green or flinty bottle of something leave it in the sun for 1/2 day = strong lightstrike

Sulphur add a tiny bit of metabisulpahte and youve got sulphur

Oxidation decap and decant half of the bottle of beer shake with oxygen and leave to settle you shopuld get a result.

Im pretty sure the kit only has additives for sulphur and xidation but lightstrike is a self performed test.

If you need morer help i will find some more info.

Kleiny

yeah lightstruck was a bottle of cascade light left outside in the sun for a whole day. tasted like heini/eurlager.

Four* buy a green or flinty bottle of something leave it in the sun for 1/2 day = strong lightstrike
Sulphur add a tiny bit of metabisulpahte and youve got sulphur
Oxidation decap and decant half of the bottle of beer shake with oxygen and leave to settle you shopuld get a result.
Im pretty sure the kit only has additives for sulphur and xidation but lightstrike is a self performed test.
If you need morer help i will find some more info.
Kleiny

yeah they are the details of what todo in the BJCP exam study guide. I'll goto dans and crack open a fresh box of heineken for a 6 pack.

- Pop one in the sun for a day for lightstike.
- Another i'll oxidise by chilling to near 0, pouring out some, reseal and shake (so it still has carbonation)
- Finally sodium met solution in another.

Atleast then i have 3 control bottles i can compare the above with.

Green apples.
Pretty easy to recreate in beer - under pitch with old slurry, or just use an old pack of US-05.
Probably the most common fault I've noticed in case-swaps to date (other than acetobacter infection :lol: )

Need any "volunteers" to help with this?

my issue is i pickup green apples as being something like the smell of a rotten apple at the bottom of a schoolbag, not fresh green apples. :(

Hmmm... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_fault#Acetaldehyde
Beyond this level it imparts a sherry type character to the wine which can also be described as green apple, sour and metallic. Acetaldehyde intoxication is also implicated in hangovers.

hmm metallic hey, i get this in HEAPS of home brewed beer. Maybe this is my pointer to acetaldehyde.

and http://waterhouse.ucdavis.edu/winecomp/acetaldehyde.htm
At low levels acetaldehyde can contribute pleasant fruity aromas to a wine, however, at higher levels the aroma is considered a defect and is reminiscent of rotten-apples. The threshold in wine ranges between 100-125 mg/L.

Now, i know this is in wine but its still applicable as it is the same compound.

damn, i need a beer that stands out like dogs balls with acetaldehyde and bring it along to the bjcp course. hmmmm.

Latest posts

Back