Bjcp Training Course

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not wanting to hijack a thread, but figured this would eb as good as place as any to pose the question...

Who in Victoria can organise a BJCP training course? Im sure there's a few of us that would be interested. I thought there was a one stage a Vic thread but cant find it (maybe i dreamed it).

I also propose that any BJCP course info could be put into the brewversity section of AHB....

CM2, in the thread HERE there is mention of Melbourne Brewers organising a course soon (though that post was around 6 weeks ago).

The Vicbrew site also suggest a course mid 2009.

CM2, in the thread HERE there is mention of Melbourne Brewers organising a course soon (though that post was around 6 weeks ago).

The Vicbrew site also suggest a course mid 2009.
now wtf couldnt i find that before when i searched? :huh: cheers Cummins

The last courses run in Melbourne were organized by John Preston at Grain and Grape.
You could give him a call and see if anything is in the pipeline.

Cheers

Phil

Melbourne Brewers are planning on arranging a BJCP course, timed to start around July this year.

I am currently responsible to get this underway within Melbourne Brewers.

What I can tell you at the moment:

- It will be held at the Melbourne Brewers regular meeting location in Boronia.

- Places will be limited by the number of participants I can rope in to run the sessions. Am hoping for two groups, but may only be one.

- Payment will be asked for up front to ensure that only people who are committed to doing the course apply.
- note payment only covers cost of materials such as beers for tasting sessions, and costs to cover the BJCP exam.
- we are expecting the total cost to be around the $300 mark (yes those BJCP reference beers are expensive)

Biggest problem I foresee is that there are going to be many more potential participants than places.

Melbourne Brewers are primarily interested in running this course to increase the pool of judges for the Vic state competitions, and so preference will be given to those most likely to achieve this goal.

Note this definitely does not exclude non club members.

At this stage I am very interested in hearing from people who have done the course and are willing to put there hand up to run some sessions.

Will keep you all posted when there is a more concrete plan in place.

not wanting to hijack a thread, but figured this would eb as good as place as any to pose the question...

Who in Victoria can organise a BJCP training course? Im sure there's a few of us that would be interested. I thought there was a one stage a Vic thread but cant find it (maybe i dreamed it).

I also propose that any BJCP course info could be put into the brewversity section of AHB....

G&G and certified BJCP brethren (Rod Patterson, primarily) organised the last one. None of the organisers were paid for their time, or work. A good deal of time goes into the selection of persons/groups, acquisition of beers from session to session (many were sourced from over-seas, organised with friends in the brewing community who were known to be visiting the States (&Europe, etc.) around the session dates and so on). There's the time involved with each session (3-4 hours not including travel time), preparation of cheese, water (palate cleanser), print outs, other material to reference the topic (and or, qualified guest speakers to organise), brewing to provide homebrewed examples of style for discussion, clean-up... guessing I've only scratched the surface. Luckily, John was nice enough to host the sessions at G&G which negates the cost of venue (sure, any pub would work but ideally you should taste in a clean/quiet environment where you are able to freely discuss the beers).

Point is, it's a hell of a big ask for someone to put himself out there like this and I applaud Rod's commitment with the last session. :icon_cheers: .. I think the issue is, no one's put their hand up for the task! It may behove you to contact the folks at VicBrew (Mark, etc.) in addition to John@ G&G.

edit: oh! well there you go, Chris Taylor is your man ;) . best of luck, Chris!

reVox

http://hagbrewers.com/bjcp/[/url]

Can all my current students rock on over and sign up and we can get this thing humming again. I have never seen people so keen to sit an exam :lol:

Thanks
Dave

I have signed up but this is in no way a reflection of my keenness (or readiness for that mater) to sit an exam.
I need to do a lot more research first.

Signed up and ready to continue. Take your time though dave. Life gives plenty of things more important than beer. Will be great to get back into it but only when you are ready mate.
Lee

Geez Lee, where's your commitment? I'm struggling to think of more than a couple... :p
Yeah, Lee. Really?
I'm right with the Goathurdler on this one.

Are you falling out of love with beer, or something?

If David's keen, then don't try and talk him out of it.

Hi Guys,

Rumours of the course (and my) demise have been exagerated. :icon_cheers:

But I do need to get my life back in balance so let's get serious. I have set-up a dedicated section on the HAG website - http://hagbrewers.com/bjcp/

Can all my current students rock on over and sign up and we can get this thing humming again. I have never seen people so keen to sit an exam :lol:

Hooray! Registered and will await updates/news.

Benniee

have joined.

Dave, if you need a hand organizing or paper shuffling, let me know, happy to help if it means more beer to drink!

Latest posts

Back