2016 Qld xmas in july case swap tasting thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay:

6. Lukiferj's Rye Hard with Bitty Smoke. Pours a slightly cloudy reddish-brown colour with non-persistent head and medium carbonation. This is a smoke beer for the masses - very approachable, carbonation and lightish lager like body (and no esters of particular note. Quite quaffable. Normally I find smokey beers to be sippers, but this one could be thrown back easily if needed. Noted on bottle Citra was the hop used, but did not detect it in any meaningful manner. I had the second glass with roast pork, and that just elevated both the pork and beer, really good matching.

5. Motabika Lichtenheiner. I peed myself laughing at the label multiple times. Love it! :lol: Pours very clear, with minimal carbonation and non-existent head. Fruity warhead on the nose. Very very sour. I'm relatively new (2 years of dabbling occasionally) to the sour game, and the lambic style sours still aren't my thing yet. It's a well made beer, and definitely does what it says, but not yet my cup of tea. I did find the smoke detached on the palate from the smoke - as the sour worked through the palate and then dissipated, the smoke came in nicely. I might be a bit ruined, because a week and a half ago I had a commercial (and therefore more mainstream) Lichtenheiner which was sour, but not nut-puckeringly so, where the smoke was subtle and on the palate at the same time as the minor bit of sour. I'm thinking sour is like bitterness, it takes a while to work up to the tolerance levels needed - I certainly don't do subtle with hops and what I found nice and approachable in the early days is insipid now. I hope my sour palate does the same thing (I think - I'm getting fussy as time goes on). Well made beer, a pity I'm a sour luddite at this point in time.

10. Ciderman - Gingerbread Brown Ale.
Mate, this is bloody delicious.
Creamy mouthfeel, gingerbread flavours but nothing to overpowering. I find it very sweet but not too sickly. Not a beer I could have a lot of but its very well balanced and really nice and smooth for 6%
'No alcohol present at all.
Thanks man

Okay, this is a big night, and I'm still drinking one of the two beers.

Drum roll.... in one night I tackled 1. Acerola Tarwe by Perry and 8. Barrel aged imperial stout by Parks.

1. Acerola Tarwe - pours very clear, low head, not particularly persistent. Brilliant coppery brown. Body is thinnish but does not feel so. Very fruity on the nose. Phenomenal beer. I read nothing about this beer (style or Perry's version) so it didn't taint my perception. Faint Belgiany esters, tiny bits of tannin (good), some funkiness, but not dominant and a woody quality. I'm trying not to find wine-toff words but I would say that it's a multilayered thing. It's a brown coloured and tasting beer with all the above qualities. Sorry I can't be much more descriptive, but just to say it's a brilliant beer, well worth drinking. I'd pay good money for this. Oh, and goes with Meshwe, hommus, baba ganouj and meat skewers very well.

8. Park's Barrel Aged Imperial stout. Pours black as I like my women, small tan head, not persistent. Impenetrable by light. This has taken a good two hours to drink and still going. Again, an excellent beer. The abv% is hidden well - only a hint of warmth that disappears as this warms up. Bourbony oakiness is obvious, but not overwhelming and complements a non-sweet dark raiseny fruit cake sort of flavour. I think the thing that appeals to me, is that having had funky, bretty and very good beers, that this has none of that, and yet stands without it as their equal, proving that a good beer in its own genre does not need anything to really set it apart (a bit like - an excellent cheddar is an awesome thing, not every cheese needs to be blue). Very well brewed indeed. I love the complexity of this. It's dry, but still has some caramel but certainly not cloying. Having shared a Founders version of this beer style in the last two days, this certainly stacks up without a doubt. I want a real winter, a fireplace and some time to enjoy this. It is a treat. Thanks so much, Troy.

Had a go of young Perry's acerola tarwe tonight.

Absolutely lovely colour, but carbonation is low and there is not really any head to speak of which I thought might have been due to the acidity.

Smells of light caramel, bread/wheat and stewed cherries.

The flavours are a bit muddled when cold, with the cherry there but stewed (rather than bright and/or acidic) and a very Northern Brewer bitterness finishing.

As it warms, now we're talking. Cherry comes forward more and the caramel and bread come forward more. The bitterness is solid: earthy, slight woodiness and a tea/menthol feel which makes me lean towards NB but I'm probably wrong. I have forgotten the alcohol content but evidently not low; purely from being half-pissed and definitely nothing noticed in taste or aroma.

Unfortunately this beer only came in 750mL and not a six pack as I really enjoyed it. I wasn't sure on it to start with but it finished very strongly as a lovely drop. Nice one mate. :)

8. Parks - Shiraz Barrel-aged RIS 9.4% ABV -
Smells like the barrels we got ayyy, musky oak, wine. Tastes roasty a bit thin & fizzy Heyo a bit acidic I think she's bugged [emoji2] ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1471605877.139022.jpg

A couple more last night:

Evoo4u's Baltic Porter:
2016_evoo_balticporter.jpg
A work of art. Aroma is pretty subdued but it looks intimidatingly good. Flavour is smooth and packed full of caramel, toffee, bread and plums with nicely balanced bitterness. Strong caramel flavours but purely in flavour and not cloying or sweet - excellently done, one of my favourites.

Eine kleines Lichtenhainer:
2016_lichtenhainer.jpg
The smell of this was glorious, and having the pepperoni and blue cheese ready for the pizzas we were making were perhaps a good match. The sour of this was I think was just too much, and IMO too far out of balance - definitely eating the enamel off teeth. I would say more smoke is needed but I think the sour really needs to be wound back to balance. Maximum points for going for it though - that is half the point afterall (straight from Captain Boring himself).

Evo4u's Baltic porter.

Light roasty aromas

The flavours are robust roast and some dark fruits.

Head is very persistent and carbonation is really enjoyable.

Will let it warm up as I hope the fruits express even more.

Lovely beer

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1471762472.567222.jpg

Also finishing the weekend with evoo4u's Baltic porter. Echoing the comments from Adro & Anus, smooth, dark fruit & roast. Very good drinking.
Also props for a label featuring nudity, violence & beer. The cornerstones of civilisation.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1471769898.260934.jpg

Today after finishing operation **** off pigeons I shared the following two beers with my mother in law.

1, Perry's darkish fruity tart beer - delicious. Muddy stamp of approval. I think she wants more.
2. Number 4 - Pierre's Black Rye IPA. Had a musty aroma and flavour - maybe we got a bad bottle. This one went down the sink sad face.

radshoes said:
2. Number 4 - Pierre's Black Rye IPA. Had a musty aroma and flavour - maybe we got a bad bottle. This one went down the sink sad face.
Cheers mate, sorry bout that one, it musta been a bad bottle as you stated, haven't had any other issues with it so far...that's one I owe ya and do plan on brewing it again so will keep you in mind for a replacement.

21. RobV Dark Mild. Pours very clear and medium-darkish brown with small head that is slightly persistent and laces slightly. Body is fuller than it feels (due to dryness of roast, more on that later). Esters quite minimal and clean, beer is semi-dry, and not sweet on the front or back of the palate. This is an excellent beer. Mine tend to be less roasty and more estery and I far far prefer this one. The way the roast flavour is subtle but dries out the beer, without it feeling 'thin' is brilliant. Also love the low carbonation. This has inspired me to have another crack at this style, based on this beer.

11. Cherrywood Smoked Stout - Fattox. I like smoked meat, I like peaty whisky. I'm not a big smoke in beer fan - having made them and tried others. But this beer, I am a big fan of. Dark beer, persistent low-medium head. Body medium. Love how the smoke is both subtle, mixes well with the blacker elements as though it is part of the roasty black bitter chocolate taste. Finishes fuller on the palate, but not cloying. As it warms, it really gets those chocolate, coffee and roasty notes, and the smoke integrates very well. From a smoked beer agnostic - well done. You've nailed this.

I was having a conversation with madpierre06 last week and saying that you could go out the back of Cellerbrations, or other proper independent craft bottle-o, pay $10 or $20 for a beer there.

The beers you brewers as individuals and groups are producing are comfortably their equal and in a number of ways, their superior. Both the creativity of these beers and their execution (and the fact that it doesn't taste like a mess of different styles) is really a testament to the quality of brewers.

4. madpierre06 - Black Rye IPA

Just drinking this one while making burritos for dinner. This is quite an enjoyable drink mate. The Rye plays a big part in the aroma and flavour and the head retention is amazing. I don't know whether it's just because I have just had a smoked beer or not but I am getting slight smokey phenols coming through the aroma. The bitterness is definitely there in the flavour and mouthfeel but the hop flavour seems to be subdued. Slight spiciness and earthy tone from the hops with a hint of a floral hop in there. I'm not getting much hop over the top of the spiciness of the rye.

1471773519062.jpg

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
I was having a conversation with madpierre06 last week and saying that you could go out the back of Cellerbrations, or other proper independent craft bottle-o, pay $10 or $20 for a beer there.

The beers you brewers as individuals and groups are producing are comfortably their equal and in a number of ways, their superior. Both the creativity of these beers and their execution (and the fact that it doesn't taste like a mess of different styles) is really a testament to the quality of brewers.
The quality level of swap beers is incredible for a bunch of dudes what makes beers in their sheds. I would happily pay money for any of the beers in the last few swaps.

I may have to opt out of future swaps as the last month before the actual swap I get so worried my beer will be the one where people are searching for ways to be polite about it. It's no good for my nerves. :)

Well done peeps.

13. NickB - AIPA. Amber, clear beer, with persistent fluffy off-white head. Not estery. Bitter on the palate, with a faint hint of diacetyl in the malt, slight warmth. Bitterness tastes like Nelson Sauvin - a sort of winey taste. Hop flavour is boiled lollies, peach, pineapple and something else in the berry spectrum. Unusual flavour. Bitterness is supported by adequate malt. Well constructed beer, not sure the hop mix is my first preference - but that is only a preference thing. Still happy to sip away at this. Thanks Nick.

I'm playing catch up here!

(btw Angus - totally get that emotion. I felt it, and even worse when the bottling day was a disaster)

4. Madpierre's Black IPA. Dark beer, but clear enough for light to get through - almost like the brown shade you get from scratching liquorice - same effect. Big fluffy-creamy tan head that hangs around for eternity. Aroma is toasty, peaty and the hops aroma is just sneaking through - appears to be C hoppish, but the peat does overpower this. Taste is nice and peaty, not cloying, not dry either. Hops are virtually not-tasteable. If you told me it was an American Porter or Dark Brown, I'd have bought it. Love this beer, love the peatiness. Love the balance in this. Not what I was expecting vis IPA, but definitely enjoying it. Love it.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
I'm playing catch up here!

(btw Angus - totally get that emotion. I felt it, and even worse when the bottling day was a disaster)

4. Madpierre's Black IPA. Dark beer, but clear enough for light to get through - almost like the brown shade you get from scratching liquorice - same effect. Big fluffy-creamy tan head that hangs around for eternity. Aroma is toasty, peaty and the hops aroma is just sneaking through - appears to be C hoppish, but the peat does overpower this. Taste is nice and peaty, not cloying, not dry either. Hops are virtually not-tasteable. If you told me it was an American Porter or Dark Brown, I'd have bought it. Love this beer, love the peatiness. Love the balance in this. Not what I was expecting vis IPA, but definitely enjoying it. Love it.
Interesting re: the hops mate, I belted a truckload of Amarillo and Citra into this, 120g in the dry hopping alone. That's a coupl;e now who've made a similar point.

madpierre06 said:
Interesting re: the hops mate, I belted a truckload of Amarillo and Citra into this, 120g in the dry hopping alone. That's a coupl;e now who've made a similar point.
As it warms up, the peat drops off markedly, and the hops start to come through.

I would hazard a guess that that's the direction of where it is. I get a faint bit of peat on the back of the palate that melds with the lingering bitterness, but the hops up front are more noticeable without that peat.

Latest posts

Back