2016 Qld xmas in july case swap tasting thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll drink Lukifer's beer whenever I want. Actually I put the wrong beer in the fridge. Classic Angus. Sorry luke, I meant to wait the week as advised.
:-|

Man I loves me some citra! It plays nicely with the subtle smoke.

There's a nice flavour play between the rye and malts. Nice after-taste of smoke and rye. Zing.

Warming up the smoke is expressing more.

Inspired bottle art. [emoji108]

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1470631464.818969.jpg

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1470631483.685832.jpg

24. Adr0 - Wheat doppleboc

Yum! Takes me back to the old days of last Saturday smashing sneiders with Liam, Aydan, and master barnes.

Appearance is obviously massive wheaty head, and I may need to grind off the lacing that is already appearing.

Lovely fresh wheat flavours but very young caramel/choc flavours. If I had a second bottle I'd be torn between opening it now or letting it age and see where those lovely caramel flavours took me.

The malt and caramel flavours compete a little bit and I reckon an aged bottle of this would be fantastic. Maybe the malts would fade a little bit, and caramels assert a little more.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1470637178.653466.jpg

angus_grant said:

Yum! Takes me back to the old days of last Saturday smashing sneiders with Liam, Aydan, and master barnes.

Appearance is obviously massive wheaty head, and I may need to grind off the lacing that is already appearing.

Lovely fresh wheat flavours but very young caramel/choc flavours. If I had a second bottle I'd be torn between opening it now or letting it age and see where those lovely caramel flavours took me.

The malt and caramel flavours compete a little bit and I reckon an aged bottle of this would be fantastic. Maybe the malts would fade a little bit, and caramels assert a little more.

attachicon.gif
I've had a weizendoppelbock (ie Aventinus clone) on my to do list for about 2 years now, I might make N0 24 the first official one out of my swap stock.

winkle said:
I've had a weizendoppelbock (ie Aventinus clone) on my to do list for about 2 years now, I might make N0 24 the first official one out of my swap stock.
You're welcome to the recipe if you wish to brew it, but looks like it might be better drinking during Oktoberfest.

2 - Earle's Smoked Rye Farmhouse Ale.

Really enjoying this one mate.
Peppery, citrusy estery goodness with a touch of smoke. Once you get past the smoke aroma, it's classic saison. Well balanced bitterness, slick and delicious.
Great beer mate

21. Robv - Dark Mild 3% , only bottled this week (mid July)

Enjoyed this one over at my neighbours last night. Nice and clear, but because we tried it immediately after my English Brown Ale, it's low alcohol made it seem a little thin/characterless in comparison. But then, it is (was) a 'mild'! Went on to the red after that...

Select how many glasses of RIS are being consumed in this household:
2 x
2016-parks-RIS.jpg
This is Parks' shiraz barrel-aged RIS, and what a cracker. Nice weight to the beer and a reasonably dark brown head. Smells of wood and wine.

The taste of this sucker is juicy. Solid prune slips its hand down your pants with blackberry, wood, solid bitterness and warming alcohol finishing you off. It's a very regal drop indeed.

There was also some marzipan in there, but I didn't get a lot of mid caramel - lots of juicy dark fruits, a nice woody wine character and solid bitterness to balance the solid sweeter flavours. Outstanding.

I think the only thing slightly low was the roast IMO. It's there but it's background, and I feel that it would add something between the dark fruits and the hop bitterness. Thoroughly delicious beer despite this.

17. Natdene - Dark/Black Ale...5.4%

Pretty much a perfect black IPA without the overt late hops. Nice dry roast and firm bitterness.

More lace and tight head then a night with Hugh Hefner.

Nice one.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1470809739.647614.jpg

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1470809799.968863.jpg

Adr_0 said:
This is Parks' shiraz barrel-aged RIS, and what a cracker.

I think the only thing slightly low was the roast IMO. It's there but it's background, and I feel that it would add something between the dark fruits and the hop bitterness. Thoroughly delicious beer despite this.
Cheers mate.

I deliberately kept the roast low as I felt boosting the roast later by blending would be better than having too much.

I would normally use at least 2-3kg per batch but this was about 1.5kg from memory and just a steeping addition in the first batch of a partigyle.

Having 24 the wheat dopplebock. This is exactly what i felt like when i got home from work. Nice dark raisin/ spicy flavours. Well done mate. Thoroughly enjoyed

2. Earle - Smoked Rye Farmhouse Ale - ready to drink now

Wow - I've never had a smoked beer before - what a beauty! My wife, who's not a beer drinker, even reckoned it was a bit of alright. Crystal clear, no hops getting in the way of the smokiness, and a lovely sipper (lasted a good half-hour). I can sure understand why it was brewed up for Brewoomba.

Good one Earle.

21. Robv - Dark Mild 3% , only bottled this week (mid July)

Enjoying this. Actually really nice. I made the mistake of putting it in the fridge almost straight away so mine is a bit flat, but the flavours are great. For a flatter than normal beer, my glass is lacing up a store.
Would happily smash a keg of this beer. Great one man!

Yep, what the kilt lifter said.
Amazing beer.
Is there actual banana in this beer?..... Just kidding.
angus_grant said:

19. Angus - kilted nuts ale

Not sure what the latest version was named, but a VERY nice pre-dinner brew. Didn't come racing out of the bottle (even tried another glass to see if it was more 'heady' - but no - just a slight effervescence), but a lovely sipper. Quite sweet (mash temp around 70?) and gentle. I could happily make this a go-to brew.
SWMBO reckoned it might have been a bit strong, due to the way I wobbled over to the dinner-table...

Anyway, if I stay awake to the end of the Manly/Bulldogs game, I'll know it wasn't too over-the-top!

Great brew - thanks.

22. Benken25. Brewers breaky porter(smoked oatmeal porter with coffee and licorice 6.8%) Ready to drink

Great smooth beer from the oatmeal, getting some smoke but not much coffee, getting lots of liquorice in the aftertaste.

OI NICK YOUR AIPA GOES ALRIGHT AYE
JUST NECKING IT NOW.

My missus said - this is what they all tasted like last year refreshing and chock full of hops. I think she is generalising.
this year its all smoke and sour and chilli you sick fucks.

Latest posts

Back