2016 Qld xmas in july case swap tasting thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really lovely smooth porter. Just about to get the choc/roast dark malt flavours when chilli crashes the party and says let's get it on cunce!!!
There's an intervention between all the flavours and they all agree to take turns.
Really well blended chilli beer. Chilli is there all the time but at an enjoyable level with the base beer flavours.
[emoji108][emoji482]
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1470431076.039537.jpg

Yeah I thought that was a top beer. Great balance, with some nice subtle heat building if you wanted it to.

Rokaxe's chilli beer was also a good blend but was a lot more capsicum/capsaicin forward, ie more vegetal rather than hot. It blended well with malt sweetness and citrus from the hops and yeast. Technically it was hotter but I think it was a good blend.

Parks said:
I had this one last weekend too. I was expecting a real ginger bread / ginger biscuit thing but instead got a lovely amber with a nice balance of ginger.

**** you guys can brew.
Thanks Parks. Certainly it's going up a level each swap. I've got one beer left and it's been the best swap yet.

17. Natdene dark ale

Nice roasty dark malts but the alcohol was not well hidden. At 5.4% it tasted pretty hot. Overcarbed.

Overall not bad. Id certainly hold for a month to see if the balance evens out.

1470473255942.jpg

3. Brewkid Biere de Garde

Pretty intense sweet malt. My particular bottle was slightly undercarbed which exemplified the sweetness but overall pretty enjoyable.

Id definitely drink whilst its still cold as its certainly a sipper.

1470473501302.jpg

radshoes said:
shit balls the test bottle i did a couple of weeks before carbed up in less than a week.
is there/was there dead yeasties at the bottom?
Mine has firmed up nicely. Ready to go do you think?

yeah give it a go - last bottle - i hope it doesn't disappoint.
TBH I have been waiting for the line of 23 people saying what the **** did you give us?

6. lukiferj - Rye Hard with a Bitty Smoke 3.4%

Bit of bacon, mouthfeel is kinda slick, some malt sweetness before a dry finish. Tasty beverage!

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1470544479.583811.jpg

17. Natdene - Dark/Black Ale...5.4%

I agree with Cderman's comments RE booziness & carbonation, but on the positive side the head retention is ******* sensational, not just from the carbonation (I knocked a bit of that out) it's dense and lacing like an espresso.
Nice dank hop aroma behind the booze and a good bit of roastiness. Cheers

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1470546273.699399.jpg

16. Evoo4u Baltic Porter

Apologies for vague review. I shared this with some dark beer lovers last weekend. Memory is hazy but it was enjoyed by all. Great beer.

1470549601428.jpg

17. Natdene

Mine is not boozy at all but is a little carbed up.
Beautiful balance of hop and malt. A very good beer IMO

Adr_0 said:
Yeah I thought that was a top beer. Great balance, with some nice subtle heat building if you wanted it to.

Rokaxe's chilli beer was also a good blend but was a lot more capsicum/capsaicin forward, ie more vegetal rather than hot. It blended well with malt sweetness and citrus from the hops and yeast. Technically it was hotter but I think it was a good blend.
Thanks m9!

15. Radshoes infected Saison

Last beer. Hmm interesting. Pours clear, its carbed enough for mine but perhaps hold another week yo see if it improves. Head disappears quickly but some lacing hangs around.

Aroma is clean, perhaps lacto sour aroma. Sweet and delicious.

Palate is completely different. Barnyard, earth, mushrooms. Its pretty full on. I like the beer but the aftertaste is like i've been chewing on a ham hock. Not necessarily a bad thing but certainly strange.

What was the yeast used? Certainly a weird beer but I am enjoying it.

1470551634821.jpg

Ciderman said:
What was the yeast used?
Wyeast 3724, wyeast 3711, as primary. Added to barrel, mixed, added Wyeast 5526. Dregs of several bottles has also gone in the barrel.
And what ever else may have made its way into the barrel.

i have a keg of it on tap and i have it carbed up pretty high. A test bottle I gave to a mate to try a couple of weeks before the swap carbed up really well as well. I may not have done the lids up tight enough on yours and parks bottles?

15. Radshoes - infected saison

What the **** did you give us?!

Smells like water we emptied from those shiraz barrels we scored, tastes like that plus a buggy brett lacto tart fruity saison thing. Scrumptious.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1470554040.340987.jpg

So I've necked them all. Good job fellas.

My personal top 5 for what its worth.

1. Motabika - Lichtenhainer
Bought the yeast already and plan to brew so has to be #1
2. Parks - Imperial Stout
Makes me want to brew another imperial stout.
3. Adro - Wheat Doppelbock
Nostalgia for many nights drinking Schneider Aventus
4. Aydos - Imperial Sour Stout
Progressive brewing at its best.
5. Liam Snorkel - Brett IPA
I'm not a fan of brett but top marks for putting up a 1 year old beer. It seemed to integrate well for me.

Latest posts

Back