2015 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm due to relocate my Columbus in the next week or 2, I suggest you send me a PM and remind me next Friday about it.

Cheers

Anyone growing in WA want to sell me some rhizomes?

My Hallertauer will be getting dug up next tuesday
I was going to do it this week, but we're heading away this weekend and I get sidetracked easily, so I didn't want to forget them and leave them out to die
I'll put a thread up once it's up and I know exactly how many zomes I've got to sell
I will be selling all of it, so the crown will be for sale too

I've noticed in the last few pages a few people are digging up rhizomes to put them in the fridge then replant come spring. Is there any benefit to this rather than just leaving them where they are?

koots said:
I've noticed in the last few pages a few people are digging up rhizomes to put them in the fridge then replant come spring. Is there any benefit to this rather than just leaving them where they are?
I doubt there is any benefit to doing this.

Restarting plants from a smaller rhizome can give the appearance of improved yield because a smaller plant requires less water. A lot of people don't water their plants enough.

Compost bin is full 12 months of spent grain and 3 years of grass clippings just about to start a hop garden with the soil. Any advice on soil composition for hop plants ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1433654205.926773.jpg

osprey brewday said:
Compost bin is full 12 months of spent grain and 3 years of grass clippings just about to start a hop garden with the soil. Any advice on soil composition for hop plants ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1433654205.926773.jpg
Hey OB, your pretty much set mate....grab some Cow/horse manure mix it through, plant away and top dress with some cane mulch once it starts to warm up. Alternatively watch this space for someone who may like to go a little more in-depth with tips

Well, as the thread title asks, here it is! Reckon it will be ready for a brew next weekend?

Pretty excited, thanks to Hoppy2b for the rhizomes to make it happen. When the time comes i will put one post between each pair of pots and run a cord from each pot up to the shared post.

The rhizomes had a fair few shoots on them some of which were pretty long (5cm), also the soil that i prepared the day before was seriously warm when i planted them and the forecast at least for the next week is reasonably warm. What happens if shoots break the surface already? Growing season starts early?

Cheers, Matt

1433757721125.jpg

Anyone around the Hunter Valley have any hops they would be willing to split up? Would like to grow some American varieties if possible. Cheers, Hayden

Yob said:
Hey Yob I've seen other photos you've posted before of this hop garden setup.

Just wondering how it went this year? How did you stop them spreading into each others areas and confusing you at harvest time?
Cos my Chinook shot about 3m under the surface and then popped up where it shouldn't have.

Also, you wouldn't happen to have any Columbus rhizomes kicking around would you?

Hey fellow green-thumbs/ brewers :)

I ripped all of my rhizomes out of their respective pots today.
I was extremely surprised by how MUCH they'd increased in size!! From little, sort of pen sized rhizomes, to half a shopping bag full!!
Some had even grown out of the bottom of the pot and were maybe another 40cm below it... Will be getting bigger pots for next season, that's for sure ;)
All looked super healthy, in fact some had started to throw some shoots already.

I've been informed that they need to be cooled down to a lower than normal QLD temp, to give healthy growth next season.
So I've wrapped them in newspaper, which I lightly showered with the garden hose and then put them into shopping bags.
They're now in the veggie section of my beer fridge, where I'll leave them for a month or two. (temp is around 5C)

Could one of you fine gentlemen please confirm if this sounds about the right way to handle the rhizomes for the winter period?

Cheers in advance,
Martin

I've read somewhere that the length of daylight hours being shorter the higher the latitude is actually what affects the yields people get hence why Tasmania is the most ideal place to grow, rather than the colder temps in winter.

My first year plants were in pots until I planted them in the ground and they went fairly well last season although I didn't get a huge harvest. Leaving them in the ground this winter and hoping for a bigger crop next season (third season but second in the ground).

Actually from memory what I read didn't specifically say it was the latitude rather than the cold but it just mentioned that latitude has an impact.

I don't see why there is a need to pull out the rhizomes during winter months, I have read where others have pulled them out and put them in the fridge, I have put strawberry, rhubarb and comfrey seeds in the freezer before planting which gives the seeds a good start but the actual rhizome being pulled out I can't see the purpose.
I too would be interested in the reason they should be pulled out (apart from splitting).

Splitting is about it, unless you use pots and they are too big for the pot and become root bound. I have only moved my hops once (well twice seeing as I moved them back) in 5 years, due to a bad year in front of Leylandiis. Moved them back to their original spot and they went gangbusters. Just set and forget if they are in the ground. Chop off the dead bits in winter, ensure theyre covered during frosty weather (if you get them) then watch them do their thing again in late spring. Again, depends where you live.

Small plants transplanted from pots usually work well but large crowns dug up and transplanted don't usually do very well. Root bound pots would likely behave similarly to large crowns when placed in the ground.

Its usually best to start with a clean bit of rhizome planted in the ground. By clean I mean that it has had the tubers cut off. As long as your pots aren't overly root bound they should do well when transferred to the ground providing you water them well.

Anyone have any thoughts on putting tarps or weed mat over the hop plantation during winter?
Reason I ask is my plot gets infested in grass and weeds and is a full time job to keep weed free.
I was thinking I could cover during winter then uncover in spring to kill off the germinated weeds. As it is a raised bed on clay soil this may also prevent rot by limiting the winter rain to the soil. I have been spraying with glypyo at the end of winter, but this is fraught with danger.
Any input welcomed.
Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back