2015 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dipel from any gardening store will control most forms of caterpillar.
You just make it up with water and spray from a bottle. Won't affect other pests, but won't harm your good insects or bees either.

Those little bastards have been raping my tomatoes atm. I hit em with pyrethrum spray to stop them quickly but must've applied it too hot because it blackened some of their leaves. I'll apply some tomato dust once the grubs are under control.

I thought my hop growing experiments were over after some poor yields. Composted the rhizomes that seemed to be rotting end of last season, only to have them shoot up again out of the old compost heap! Plenty of flowers sprouting. ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1418794968.971183.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1418794991.870691.jpg

10841506_673825416068202_1686635748_n.jpg
Hey Guy's, first post, Well my baby is flowering (Chinook) 3rd year in beautiful Maitland. Sorry about the head but a Arrogant ******* is coming shortly. Xmas to all

B4 I went on holiday there was this

10 days there was this

With these everywhere ;)

I have noticed that all my cones are only on the lateral bines is this the norm?

Not my hops but interesting none the less. These are the Spalt hop farms in Spalt, Bavaria. Taken with such poor focus as it flew past me at 185km/h from the autobahn! A truly genuine snap ;-)
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1419406139.783719.jpg

dave81 said:
I have noticed that all my cones are only on the lateral bines is this the norm?
Super alpha at the front of the house: plenty of growth but no laterals. All cones forming on the main bines (only a few dozen so far).

Mind you, it's strung up like a crazy spiderweb, so maybe it got confused. :rolleyes:

mckenry said:
IsonAd,
Are you still in Canberra? That's damn early for a cold climate!
Yeah mate in the Berra. I was a bit surprised at how early they flowered but its my first time growing so it's all a bit new. It hasn't been super warm here either, moderate temps, coolish at night and a bit of rain.

Hersbrucker has decided to kick up after I thought it had rotted away. I must say I was quite surprised at it going from zero to hero in 3 weeks

1419572536598.jpg

How long (ballpark) do hops take to ripen before you pick? I know they should be papery, bounce back when squeezed and only just starting to turn yellowy-brown but how long does it generalky take from when the hops are formed to when you pick, are we talking days, weeks, months?

sibrew said:
This galaxy was thriving a week ago now turning yellow. Anybody got any suggestions. Gets all day sun, water the evening. Can it be saved?
I know it's an old post but would like to know where I could get a galaxy rhizome from ??

Was under the impression you couldn't get a rhizome

Spohaw said:
I know it's an old post but would like to know where I could get a galaxy rhizome from ??

Was under the impression you couldn't get a rhizome
You can't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back