2015 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
mine are only just starting to send up climbers:

10734175_10152393444895976_101549475570323580_n.jpg

10376918_10152393445015976_5800516118713507932_n.jpg

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1415678557.448821.jpg
Looks like something is having a party with my cascades. Anyone know what it could be or what I could spray em with to keep them at bay??

Thanks mate. I'll give that a whirl and report back

Something is hitting my cluster too. Used two different sprays and not much luck. The bines were climbing lots in the first two weeks and then just stopped growing completely. They are definitely struggling hard with something.
Could be mites or white flies. I saw lots of white flies spinning circles around the pots. Just hoping it's nothing more serious under the top of the soil...

1415792034319.jpg

What sprays have you tried? Looks like it could be either burn leaf or downy mildew,are you watering from the bottom of the plant , not splashing the leaves? If it is downy mildew a copper spray should fix it.

First year chinook, finally making some ground! (Okay not quite 3 metres yet....but I'm happy).

Some of the lower leaves look a bit munched on but it seems to be growing fine.

20141112_181835.jpg

First year Cascade, single bine which the possums finally found and nibbled off the end.

This one is about 3m and goes up and along the fence on the cat 5 cable....looks like some nice flowers starting..

1415836728924.jpg

Hey
First year cascade here, second rhizome for the season though
; ) just wondering if 2 bines per bine/string is too much.i have 1 more bine to trim off as I have 5 growing (just waiting on a mate to get his stuff together to see if he can strike it)

I may try run them along the fencline when they evetually get up but we'll see.cheers

I'm pretty sure those red petioles (leaf stems) indicates a mild Potassium deficiency.
A regular liquid feed should fix it up.

Still better than mine; some just popping out of the ground now.

Don't some species naturally show purple in the bines and petioles, like The Cousin? My Cascade shows purple bines but none of my others do, and all are fed and potted the same way in the same soil mix.

Mardoo said:
Don't some species naturally show purple in the bines and petioles, like The Cousin? My Cascade shows purple bines but none of my others do, and all are fed and potted the same way in the same soil mix.
Yeah most varieties have red bines, some tend to be darker than others, and the more sun they get the darker they generally become.

Chinook, Mt Hood, Fuggles/Tettnang are 'white bine' varieties. Yob claims to have a Canterbury White Bine.

Mardoo said:
True there Mardoo, I had a cannabis plant that must have been a throwback to an original cultivar, out of 62 plants one was more like a Purple Haze than its all green sister plants.

Also looking up what pests and diseases growers may have on a plant it is generally easier to look up cannabis plants as they and the hop plants share the same pests and diseases

To get a good growth going a bit of complete fertilizer will help and also help the flowers set.

To cut or not to cut..... Hop growers cut back the first flush of growth as these bines bolt away early using up all the stored energy in the crown. These bines have long internodes.The second flush of bines have shorter internodes ( less stem between each set of leaves)That means more sets of leaves per meter of bine which also means more flowers as flower cones emerge from same nodes as the leaves. It's a hard thing to do, cutting back this lush strong first growth, and timing is important. I still find myself keeping a few first bines as habit. I let first bines get to a 40cm b4 cutting. Hoppy gardening.ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1415929193.386608.jpg

interesting about cutting back, some of my rhizomes are shooting really thin bines, thinking I might need to cut those back?
What makes that even harder is that my Flinders bine is looking like it could produce a little bit of deliciousness :)

HopCones01.jpg

Probably not enough water, and doesn't hurt to put on some liquid manure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back