2015 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW, this link might have some more accurate info on the grub and what it eats, etc.
I'm assuming they are red-headed cockchafers in the earlier pic, as opposed to the black-headed cockchafer.

technobabble66 said:
FWIW, this link might have some more accurate info on the grub and what it eats, etc.
I'm assuming they are red-headed cockchafers in the earlier pic, as opposed to the black-headed cockchafer.
Good read, so hops, being deep rooted are less at risk. Also growth seasons dont match.

Dieldrin would sort the blighters out though ;)

Knocked this up yesterday. DSC_0463.JPG

Where did you get the bamboo poles Scoob?

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Home Brewer

Last time I checked a week ago, my rhizomes also hadn't broken ground - im based in Sydney and the did get a bit wet over the last month.

Jaded and Bitter said:
Good read, so hops, being deep rooted are less at risk. Also growth seasons dont match.

Dieldrin would sort the blighters out though ;)
Dieldrin has been off the market since the mid-80's iirc, as it's highly carcinogenic.

Just in case you were serious: Please do not use this.

pat86 said:
Last time I checked a week ago, my rhizomes also hadn't broken ground - im based in Sydney and the did get a bit wet over the last month.
are yours first year? They can be a bit slower than established hops.

Standing wet hops don't deal with well. Hops need good drainage. However, figuring that they're a river lands plant I give mine a few good floodings in early spring and it seems to kick them off well. I flood them and then give them a week before I do it again. I do that about three times and so far they go bang a couple weeks later. Which may or may not have anything whatsoever to do with my watering scheme. But anyway, point is that they love a good bath, just not sleeping in water.

What mardoo said, plus it can depend on variety. For eg, Chinook are notorious late starters. My 2nd yr chinook has had tiny buds for 2 weeks but basically no indication it's going anywhere for the next few weeks. Whereas my 1st year Columbus broke ground about 2 weeks ago and is already over a foot tall.

image.jpg

Picked up this twine, probably about 40m's on the roll so that should see me right.

Took a couple of cheapo variety store before I found it. This was from the one next to Kmart in moonee ponds.

Those ones are actually the larvae of the Cane Beetle. Falsely called Christmas Beetles up this way. Pulled 47 of them from one of the 1/2 Wine Barrels the Chinook are were in.

They decimated the Rhizome. Managed to salvage one section and treated it with an anti-fungal. Now to hope for the best. Interestingly, my Hallertau plants have sprung to the fore and the Cascade are just showing now. Chinook won't do much for a while yet.

wide eyed and legless said:
Knew a girl with the nickname "Cock chaffer".God she was rough.
sounds like she gets around a bit, boys at the pub must of been talking about the same girl or they have problems in their gardens too:p

This year I thought I'd do the whole 'cut first runners' strategy. I think I must have pinched about 30 bines on three plants last weekend...back to soil...Feels like there's 60 between them now...

Mr. No-Tip said:
This year I thought I'd do the whole 'cut first runners' strategy. I think I must have pinched about 30 bines on three plants last weekend...back to soil...Feels like there's 60 between them now...
Gonna do of the same. Let them sprout and get to about a foot long, then chop everything to the ground. Then it's a race for the strong to the top!

HBHB said:
Those ones are actually the larvae of the Cane Beetle. Falsely called Christmas Beetles up this way. Pulled 47 of them from one of the 1/2 Wine Barrels the Chinook are were in.

They decimated the Rhizome. Managed to salvage one section and treated it with an anti-fungal. Now to hope for the best. Interestingly, my Hallertau plants have sprung to the fore and the Cascade are just showing now. Chinook won't do much for a while yet.
Ahh the cane beetle. "Fkn crows. They brought 'em out here to get up the cane beetle and all they did was get up each other!" Bud Tiingwell. The Craic. RIP. Great Aussie.

Les the Weizguy said:
Dieldrin has been off the market since the mid-80's iirc, as it's highly carcinogenic.

Just in case you were serious: Please do not use this.
Yeah but they used to over doo it, back then it was Dieldrin on everything. Powder in kids hair for lice and new woolens for moths. Everyone had a shaker of Dieldren under the kitchen sink. What snails on the veggies? Dieldrin will sort the blighters out! Kids eat your greens or no desert! :unsure:

Problem was it accumulated in the natural predators and wiped them out. Anyone remember the locust plagues?

I do miss the Christmas beetles though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back