2015 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Knew I was doing it for a reason Mardoo... Keep it up! Or, err, out.

Edit: And for something on topic - no pics, but my super alpha is throwing up a few good bines. Cascade has somewhat recovered from the hail, children & snails. Nothing from Mr Chinook so far.

My 3 x Cascades, Perle and POR have gone gangbusters in the 3 weeks I've been away from home. Had a friend tending to them. Did a great job!

My chinooks are lagging (as expected) but have got 3-4 healthy bines showing now. Should do well.

I'm also wondering about trimming/selecting favorites.

My Cluster is thriving, and little new bines are popping up all over. So im curious when to start cutting them off?

Is it really recommended to chop them all and see which one gets up again??

1411867585234.jpg

1411867602745.jpg

Lochem said:
I'm also wondering about trimming/selecting favorites.

My Cluster is thriving, and little new bines are popping up all over. So im curious when to start cutting them off?

Is it really recommended to chop them all and see which one gets up again??
All you need to do is train as many of the strongest bines as you can handle and trim off the excess. Trimming the excess will mean the plant uses less water, which is important to help reduce the likelihood of moisture stress. Meaning your pots won't dry out as quick.
Commercially they cut them all back so that they start growing up the strings at the same time and ripen at the same time so they can be harvested all in one go.

Though if you can keep the water up to them, it matters little.. Especially as we don't, at home, have the same stringent requirements commercial crops do.

hoppy2B said:
All you need to do is train as many of the strongest bines as you can handle and trim off the excess. Trimming the excess will mean the plant uses less water, which is important to help reduce the likelihood of moisture stress. Meaning your pots won't dry out as quick.
Commercially they cut them all back so that they start growing up the strings at the same time and ripen at the same time so they can be harvested all in one go.
Can you elaborate on "as many as you can handle"? In relation to what? (Other than water)
Can I have more than one bine climbing up the rope? Or am I risking a jungle when it's time to harvest?

Lochem said:
Can you elaborate on "as many as you can handle"? In relation to what? (Other than water)
Can I have more than one bine climbing up the rope? Or am I risking a jungle when it's time to harvest?
up to 3 or 4 bines per line is perfect, more than that its a bit of a cluster **** and each bine doesnt get optimal sunlight as they are covering each other.

As per Yob's suggestion, but I struggle to get more than 2 bines growing well on each string. Yob must be feeding his something special.

I think its a good idea to have a bit of room between each string to allow entry of light and to prevent the laterals from knocking into each other. Some people grow them as a big mass on mesh but that seems to produce more leaf and less cones. Just depends on what you find easiest I suppose, and whether you are going for max yield or are content with less.

mine has about 6 bines appearing some further advanced than others.most likely trim one or two back.mines a second year plant

Commercially, I think they grow about 6 per bine.. Don't hold me to an exact number, just from looking at loads of images/videos seems to imply some significant numbers per bine.

As I say though, doesn't apply to us.

They certainly do appear to grow a lot of bines up each string commercially. Doesn't seem to work for me though. I've wondered if the commercial images were just a case of the laterals growing laterals themselves and thickening up that way.

The taller varieties would be better for training more bines per string because of the greater inter nodal distance between the leaves. So it really comes down to variety as to how many bines you can run up each string.

Got a bit of a surprise when I came back from a weeks holiday this week. Somehow, against all odds, my Ashfield Goldings survived the Sydney downpours and produced a couple of nice healthy looking bines! I thought they were long dead, being first years and coming off what looked to be a dodgy ebay cutting, but nope, they're coming along nicely!

Now I've got to race against the clock to get some sort of trellis built. Uh oh!

hops.jpg

Got some nice bines coming up from our (I think) Hallertauer at the moment. (Have to check with the Baron). They're growing really dramatically - it's a real forest down there, with the biggest vine gaining an inch or so every day.

Now I'm not saying I spend all my time out there looking at it to see if it grows.... but I have strongly considered it.

Crap. I can't even successfully grow a weed.
3 first year zomes and so far one viable bine. :-(

The Victoria threw up 2 shoots, but I was obviously too eager in trimming them, nothing more in the past month.

Cascade also had 2 shoots trimmed, the 3rd got attended to by 4yr old but at least the 4th is surviving.

Goldings hasnt done anything so far.

Sigh.

gallery_31608_1177_85099.jpg

Yeah looks like the Sydney rains weren't enough to kill them. Better late than never - things are starting to get warm now too so hopefully they'll kick off more soon!

Sixdemonbag said:
My 3 x Cascades, Perle and POR have gone gangbusters in the 3 weeks I've been away from home. Had a friend tending to them. Did a great job!
The mulch being hard wood will cause nitrogen draw down during the growing period so feed with liquid of manure based ferts. Although a scattering of mulch looks good unless it is 2-4 inches deep it really accomplishes nothing, it will not hold water to the roots nor will it benefit in any way the plant. Harder substances like wood chip require more nitrogen to break them down resulting in this pulled from the surrounding earth and lessening the ability of the surrounding plants to utilise it.

CapnK said:
Crap. I can't even successfully grow a weed.
3 first year zomes and so far one viable bine. :-(
The Victoria threw up 2 shoots, but I was obviously too eager in trimming them, nothing more in the past month.
Cascade also had 2 shoots trimmed, the 3rd got attended to by 4yr old but at least the 4th is surviving.
Goldings hasnt done anything so far.
Sigh.
You didn't wait to see how many bines you got? Being first year youvmay not get 'loads'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back