2015 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheers Wide Legged and Eyeless, much appreciated. I have a few varieties going, I'm just pissin' and moanin' about my favourite, although all if them have suffered. I'm going to relocate them to a place where there are existing lights and two cats. One of the cats is a great mouser, but a brushie is a big ask ;)

Mardoo said:
HA! I will survive knowing this thusly. Cheers Lochem. It's just one variety, albeit one close to my heart for many reasons.

It's frustrating being in a country with vermin that will eat - and kill - anything that grows, yet are protected by law as a native animal. I either let them destroy my garden or break the law. I also don't particularly like killing animals unless it's for food. I mean, one year they they ate all the peel off about a hundred lemons but left the naked flesh of the fruit hanging on the stem. The next year they ate all the bark off the same lemon tree, of course killing it. That's not a native animal in my book. That's just fucked up. That's vermin.

Edited for vermin.
Can't resist sharing this with all the possum talk:

My good mate's grandad used to have a very large and successful peach orchard in Shepparton. Old age and other factors forced him to sell it off and he missed it terribly. It made him a bit more grumpy than he already was.
When possums started invading his home garden, he took matters into his own hands. My friend, a young boy at the time, saw grandpa with a possum one day inside a bucket of water and asked him, shocked, what was happening..."you can't drown them! That's illegal!!"
Grandpa replied simply, "I'm not drowning them! I'm teaching them how to swim!
They're just not learning very well..."

(True story).

I finally got around to builing my trellis that i have been putting off for the last few months. Its been damn windy down in Slobart over the last month, which has put me off to some degree.

I had some ~3m lengths of gal pipe 45mm OD lying around from and old fence. I wanted to mount them onto my paling fence but couldn't get any Ubolts long enough, so i had to get creative. Supercheap auto had jockey wheel clamps for 13 bucks each which fit the bill perfectly. $2.50 for the fixing bolts, nuts and oversized square washers per clamp made it $30 bucks or so for each post. two posts $60 in total (plus twine and posts which I already had).
Removing the trelis from the fence at the end of the season will be a snap too. take all of 5 minutes once the bines have been disentagled.
photo 2.JPG

I wanted to be able to lower the cross piece when it came time to harvest too. I read a few times that using pulleys causes issues as the hops tend to go bushy at the top of the trellis and they jam up the pulley or they climb around the cord when it goes back down, meaning you cant lower the boom.
My workaround was to have the rope go up the inside of the gal pipe and then out the top, and then tie onto the boom. This eliminates moving parts such as pulleys and the return rope is held away from curious bines. Works a treat. I can raise and lower it by myself.
photo 1.JPG

I went with three cords per plant. the one on the right has brown 'camo' cord as i ran out of yellow. fixed onto the boom with eye bolts at the top and tied off onto a screw, screwed into an offcut of an old sleeper at the base. I hope its heavy enough.

I've got a chinook on the left, cascade in the center and columbus on the right. hopefully they get as excited about their new trellis as i am. I doubt it.

^ ^ hmmm makes mine look ghetto. I just have wire running about 6foot high on the fence then they go horizontal for about 5 meters, requires a daily check and twist of the vines around the wire.

Here are my 2 hops plants that are into the 2nd season. They appear to be much thicker than the 1st year and the EKG has about 8-9 sprouts that will have to be culled.

Cascade

Cascade.JPG

East Kent Goldings

East Kent Goldings.JPG

anyone know who does citra, amarillo & centennial rhizomes, Id like to upgrade for season 2016?

If you're having problems with possums try sprinkling some blood and bone around them, possums hate the stuff and won't go near it. Worked a treat for a mate who was sick of possums eating his bonsai plants.

It's gotta be twice as effective, doesn't it?

Hey pratty, I am happy to be corrected but the three hop varieties you want are US types, rhizomes not available here as far as I know.

Which is unfortunate for everyone. !
Imagine having your own citra !!
Yummo. !!

CF

Been a few weeks since mine sprouted and it's been a few weeks since they've done anything else lol. My 5 meter trellis is built and painted but it's hidden behind my shed untill these shielas get a wriggle on. One has a sickness. Look like it needs some sunscreen. The chilli plant is the best performer here haha. At least I'll have some more chillis for my ginger beer.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412663376.069412.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1412663404.896769.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1412663441.597922.jpg

Kingy said:
Been a few weeks since mine sprouted and it's been a few weeks since they've done anything else lol. My 5 meter trellis is built and painted but it's hidden behind my shed untill these shielas get a wriggle on. One has a sickness. Look like it needs some sunscreen. The chilli plant is the best performer here haha. At least I'll have some more chillis for my ginger beer.
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412663376.069412.jpg
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412663404.896769.jpg
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412663441.597922.jpg
I have just lost 3 different varieties to something similar, so I had a dig to investigate and found that they had rotted:(

Kingy said:
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412663376.069412.jpg
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412663404.896769.jpg
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412663441.597922.jpg
Get some trace elements on there, poor thongs look ill ;)

Is it a white bine six d or is it low in light?

And I just noticed it looks like its starting to throw lats. I haven't even strung my hops yet.

I decided to cancel the 'two Chinook side by side, one pruned and one wild' experiment. First of all, I realised they were climbing to the same peak point, but also the fourth year wine barrel bastards are throwing about 50 bines and were stopping the water easily getting in.

I already have lats as well, and this year, way lower than before - less than a foot from soil. Last year I had cones by late October on my Cascade...we'll see how this goes...

Quick update:
My 2 first-year Columbus's are at v different stages - one is still growing a few inches per day, the other has barely moved beyond the first few inches from 2 weeks ago. The big difference seems to be the positioning with regards to sunlight. One is in relatively full sunlight, the other less so. Later into summer the latter one should be getting plenty of sun, but it's amazing what difference the full sun (on both pot and leaves) has made in the early stages. One other difference is the size of the 'zomes - the ballistic one was a bigger rhizome initially.
My 2nd year chinook was a month or so later in getting started, but has gone crazy - i've got at least 20 bines coming up, growing a few inches per day. It's like Day of the effin' Triffids, man!! Game over, man!

@Mr No-Tip - so you're saying they were both the same in stage of growth, or that the (older?) non-pruned one was out of control?

technobabble66 said:
@Mr No-Tip - so you're saying they were both the same in stage of growth, or that the (older?) non-pruned one was out of control?
Both are same age, split from one pot last year. I decided to try a side by side with one having four or five leaders and one to go nuts, but it went a little too nuts for my liking.

I have 5 hops growing in the Gong...
All are second year.
Nugget, Perle and E.K.Goldings have taken off, the Hersbrucker and Cascade are only just starting to climb...

2014-10-06%2019.11.13.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back