2015 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My other cascade
Screen Shot 2014-10-13 at 10.17.58 am.png

Here is the progress with my 1st year Cascade, chinook, POR and Victoria.

The cascade is going well. The Victoria stalled at 2" and no sign of the chinook or POR. I moved the rhizome after they had come out of hibernation and possibly damaged them.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1413241464.226484.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1413241483.875752.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1413241512.626006.jpg

IMG_1426 (960x1280).jpgThought it about time to see if my Chinook and Victoria were ready to come out of hibernation, they have been in the shed all winter out of the snow up here in the Alps. Both lids on these mini wheelie bins were lifting up with new growth! Apparently they are ready.
Although with 10cm of over night snow I might hold off a few days setting them up.

Mine have double in height in the last 2 weeks. Starting to get 10-15 cm laterals on some of the Cascades and the Perle. The perle overtook (in height) the big cascade rhizome I had.

Only problems so far are a few holes on a couple of leaves and a few older leaves with some browning of the tips (not a lot). I'm actually worried that they are developing a bit TOO quick and I might be losing some harvest quantity (if any). Still, pretty good for first year growth, in pots, in inner Sydney, in a courtyard, from someone that really doesn't have a green thumb... :)

Sixdemonbag said:
Mine have double in height in the last 2 weeks. Starting to get 10-15 cm laterals on some of the Cascades and the Perle. The perle overtook (in height) the big cascade rhizome I had.
Can you please stop posting pictures of your awesome looking plants and making me jealous?

My issue is to cut and throw away or repot the cuttings.have about 6/8 above the ground and my rhizome is in a pot

3163ghc.jpg

8 spread on that frame would be ok DU99.

4th yeah cascades or chinooks. Not climbing yet. 2 zomes in there.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1413268161.568199.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1413268176.251987.jpg

yah. And that's after the root system of the one on the left 1/2 died because I did some stupid things. It was bigger than the other.

Liam_snorkel said:
yah. And that's after the root system of the one on the left 1/2 died because I did some stupid things. It was bigger than the other.
Love the fork and safety thongs.

Hehe... Mine are planted in my mums garden.

Both oldies are mad keen gardeners and have been dutifully applying compost, dynamic lifter, seasol, gypsum etc. Theres now a good 10cm of rich black topsoil.

Mum asks "They wont outcompete my other plants?"

"Nah nah cause the hops will be watered and fertislised more often, so the other plants will be better cared for also"

Secretly I imagine the Hops climbing all over her plants :ph34r:

I too am completely jealous of these awesome looking plants. My first year Cascade has stalled at a glorious 2 inches!

Front to back - Chinook, Hallertau and Cascade. Second year.
Went to shift the pots a little only to discover the lot have escaped their pots via the drainage holes burrowed into the earth. As seen above, the root systems on these things are crazy.

DSC_1947_zpscff0fc60.jpg

Last years under performing Cascade seems to be the most eager and vigorous this time around.

DSC_1948_zps774e0e96.jpg

All my hops are at various stages at the moment.

Pride of Ringwood - currently the pride of the fleet
POR.jpg

Cascade - not too far behind the POR
Cascade.jpg

Perle - Started growing this week
Perle.jpg

Saaz - Always the last to get going but in the past has finished the largest
Saaz.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back