2015 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else growing them in pots noticed that they seem to pop up at the wall of the pot?

noticed this year they leaves are very dark is that because of it's age(second year)

OneEye said:
Anyone else growing them in pots noticed that they seem to pop up at the wall of the pot?
Yes, heaps on my third years. Or is it fourth?!

I am doing a side by side with two chinooks this year. One limited to five bines and one free to go nuts with minimum pruning. Will be interesting to compare yields.

The Cascade's are raging along nicely... ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1411370340.297760.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1411370387.215644.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1411370402.215100.jpg

The chinook, not as muchImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1411370434.867705.jpg

If your leaves are very dark with a hint of purple it is a sign of magnesium deficiency, mag is less likely to be utilised at lower temps. You will see this with ornamentals during cold winters especially if growing warmth loving plants. If they are just dark deep green this is good as they are fead well and have all the nitrogen and trace they could possibly want. A very light green leaf is wanting something. Trace elements are the usual cause but to pin down which one is hard so a full spectrum feed is beneficial.

A feeding regime of high npk sometimes results in trace deficiencies in some soils, especially potting mixes. Fertiliser is not just fertiliser either, look for one low in ammonia based nitrogen. This includes urea. Yes it is a fast acting nitro source but is not as soluble as others and tends to build up over time as a salt, not good for pots.

If you have trouble finding phosphate based nitrogen sources look to the orchid food. Anything close to 220 ppm nitro will do. NPK of 20 10 20 or similar will do as an All year feed. Look for as close to those numbers as possible.

Manures are the next best bet and will enrich the soil at the same time for the next season. Manures need, like liquid feed to be applied to wet soil and watered in. A combination of chook cow and hoarse are always good to mix up nutrient ratios. Multiple small feelings, like liquid feet are more beneficial than a big lump. If you have any questions on feeding please feel free to ask.

Update time

Photo 1 Chinook thanks Yob

Photo 2 POR thanks yob

Photo 3 Cascade thanks
Judanero

Photo 4 Herbrucker thanks Judanero

Photo 5 Goldings thanks judanero

Ones from Yob are getting less sun and have only been in the ground around 2 weeks. I feel this has more to do with these rhizomes having a bit of root growth attached #PUMPING ALONG#

Ones from Judanero are getting plenty of sun and are a bit slower and have been in for over 6 weeks. I feel this has something to do with being rhizomes with next to nil roots.

1411436813691.jpg

1411436915824.jpg

1411436978087.jpg

1411437525405.jpg

1411437555294.jpg

1411437691278.jpg

My cascade has just popped up about 5cm, no leaves yet. This is my first year growing them and I know they require a fair bit of water, but when is a good time to start really giving them a lot of water? when leaves come in? when it starts getting really hot?

Finally got my little trellis up for the Red Earth. Cascade still to come

1411474127862.jpg

blair said:
Finally got my little trellis up for the Red Earth. Cascade still to come
looks like some thinning out is in order??

Grainer said:
looks like some thinning out is in order??
Yeah shes a little bushy. Been meaning to give her a trim. First time growing hops shoud I just snip at the soil?

I pulled but a snip is probably preferable.. A pull is more enjoyable

Thought I'd throw up a pic of my one season hop trellis. Had to throw this 'temporary' frame up at my oldies place as we sold our property and have to move in 8 weeks to our new place.

I had to transplant 15 crowns just as they started shooting. They seem to have taken really well though and are growing like beasts.

It was great completely digging up the plants as I got to take a heap of rhizome cuttings and potted them out to expand the crop. If they all take I should have 75 plants total of 17 varieties.

These are all second year plants, I was amazed at the root growth after only one season. Absolutely crazy.

I'd love to get my hands on a couple of eastern states varieties, If anyone is keen to work with me through quarantine I would repay $$$ your effort.

Cheers
Matty
IMAG0524.jpg
IMAG0444.jpg

IsonAd said:
My cascade has just popped up about 5cm, no leaves yet. This is my first year growing them and I know they require a fair bit of water, but when is a good time to start really giving them a lot of water? when leaves come in? when it starts getting really hot?

Ahem....

Not a definitive answer, but once you start to see the plants really stretch, ya know, like 10cm a day. That will be once it starts getting warm.

I STRONGLY recommend getting a soaker hose. Set and forget, especially if you're going away at all. I set mine at 1/4 flow last year and just left it on from mid-December to end of Feb. We didn't even notice much of a bump in the water bill, and the hops were haaaaaaappy!

IsonAd said:
The greater the leaf surface area and the higher the temp the more water they need. Hops have the sorts of leaves that need a fair bit of water, as apposed to something like a pine tree with needles or a Eucalyptus with a waxy leaf coating.
As per Mardoo's advice, lots of water is good.

POSSUMS!!!!

Okay, this may be helpful! Last year, many possums, zero possum problems. This year, many possums, many problems, except for two plants, my Goldings and my Hersbrucker, even though the plants right next to them have all been cleanly tipped as soon as they're up. I was thinking it must be related to the variety then I realized: they are the two closest to the front and back doors.

Which means I pee in them regularly.

Last year I peed in all my hops equally because they were all in one place, having heard a podcast where a commercial hop grower recommended it as a way to add nutrients, as well as loving to exercise my male prerogative. This year they're spread out, so I've only peed only in those two plants. Hopefully this may be something that will help those of us with possum problems. I have heard in the past that having some big meaty meals and marking out your property can help with predatory pests, but haven't tried it. It is possible it's working on the possums. More meat please!!! Hope they hate pepperoni pizza as much as my stomach did. First, my new Willamette! Which was my great-grandmother's name, Willametta, named for the Willamette river near where the hop was developed. But...yeah, anyway :blink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back