2015 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine got smashed around a bit, Columbus, POR & Fuggles copped the brunt of it. Squished & shredded. Will sing to them to tonight, hopefully they'll recover.

checked on mine today,thought i lost it last year,but then there is this

2s9dqxd.jpg

Is now a good time to plant hops? how long do they take to give buds?

Grainer said:
My mini plantation
wow grainer. Which varieties. Bit hard to read ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Home Brewer

you can smoke anything

more 'should or or why would i I guess'

Goldingsx2, Tettanager, POR, Chinook x 3, Victoria, Perle, Red Earth, Hellertau I think...without going out he back

can i grow hops on my balcony?

how much sun do they need? how big a pot?

HBHB I found some of those when I pulled some rhizomes. There is a larva which feeds off hops for five years while they develop, becoming a giant beetle, but I only just read briefly about them and don't know much else. They look a bit similar but I'm not a'tall sure.

THERE IS A SPECIAL SPRAY FOR THEM YOU can get at buntings that kills em in the ground.

They look like white curl grub (scarab beetle grubs) that commonly feed on lawn rhizomes.

Hey HBHB, they're just witchety grubs - at least that's what we've always called them. I think you've got ones that live in wood/trees (the ones the kooris eat) and ones in the ground. I believe they generally just eat whatever crap in the ground, including dead/dying roots. If they're in higher numbers they might be savaging the roots of the hops(?). I grew up in the country and they're everywhere in the soil (country SE of Melb); and all manner of plants still grow happily in spite of them.
Hope that helps

Also - 2 weeks slack and no pics.
My Columbus (shout out to Ninegrain!) rhizomes shot out of the ground ~2 wks ago. Still pretty small, and there's no sign of the Chinook waking up yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back