2015 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Luke1992 said:
My Chinook still hasn't sprouted! Think it could have rotted during the wet weather?
At least one of mine did :(

It did start out with a bit of fuzzy mold(?) on them before planting though.

Not sure about the rest as I didn't want to disturb the ground any more than I already had.

Updates!
Pride of Ringwood:

Perle:

…and one of the cascades still going nuts. Others are only just sprouting
64B4F180-97F1-4FDF-B1C8-F7222374C8A6.jpg
[/URL]
FWIW my Chinooks haven't started yet either. Heard they are late bloomers. Hoping they are fine too.

my cascade popped through first, and the chinook came a good week after...

The chinook went from a nodule to 3 shoots that have easily overtaken the cascade, which surprised me.

Finally got my drip irrigation installed and wanted to ask what peoples thoughts are on them since I've always heard that hops don't like wet feet but need plenty of water. Should I only be putting the drip on now and then until the heat of summer kicks in? I've got some small leaves but not a lot of growth yet.

First Goldings shoot 6 weeks ago
First Shoot.jpg

Goldings this week
Goldings Shoot.jpg

I ditched the idea of setting the lines up with the ability to take them down like a flag and just installed a metal eyelet as high as I could reach with a ladder in each bamboo piece (in the joint for strength) to which I then tied each line.

Tipi trellis
Tipi with Sisal.jpg

I first rigged up some 3mm jute rope which I'd bought off the net but later stumbled across some sisal twine at the big green shed which I couldn't resist grabbing. Having compared them the sisal is thicker but only 2 braids whereas the jute is 3 but thinner. Not sure which will hold the best but have decided to leave one tipi with the jute rope and set up the other with the sisal twine to do a comparison.

Sisal on the left
Sisal & Jute.jpg

Jute on the right
Sisal & Jute 2.jpg

Natural fibers suck. They rot and weaken over time. Go for man made and UV stabilized.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1410241686.072295.jpg
You beauty! Cascade poking her head out. Cluster Chinook and Goldings to come

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Home Brewer

Dave70 said:
Natural fibers suck. They rot and weaken over time. Go for man made and UV stabilized.
True dat, local $2 shop has 10m green rubbery uv stable stuff, every time I've used twine in the past I've had trouble

I may have mentioned it in an early post about clothesline cord....bunnings have 60 metres for about $30 and I think stringing the trellis + restringing the clothesline while your at it keeps both parties happy:p

Dammit. So we've just had a few cm of hail here, and my just sprouted cascade is in a bit of a hollow, so it filled up 5 or more cm deep.

Darling son realised that Daddy's hop plant was covered and used his little bucket to scoop ice and majority of new little hop sprout out of depression.

Poor little cascade... I will sing to you and make you better. Daddy loves you... sniff.

Better now than the middle of feb.. Fingers crossed you get a good harvest from it.

spog said:
Where in Oz are you?
Eastern Melbourne... Quite the hail storm while it lasted. It finished just in time for the sun to come out for a beautiful sunset.

Fecking Melbourne weather.

I was at home in Mooroolbark bracing for it but it went around us. Dodged a bullet I suppose but I cleaned the gutters last Saturday so am a little let down. I love a good downpour.

While I admit sisal isn't all that reliable I've been using it the last couple of seasons as I bought a decent roll of it a while back. Being cheap and lazy I like the fact I can throw it in the compost with the old bines. I've found if you tie a doubled length at one end and stick the other end in a cordless you can twist it into a nice thick plait which should last the season out.

So what type of lines are everyone using?

Fishing line braid, great stuff in 100lb, can't breathe the stuff towing a car and Kmart had 300m spools on sale for 12 bucks. Some on the rods some on the hops pole. I'll have to get some pic cries up when they start to climb. I lost a few to rot but we have had 5 weeks of constant rain but I have 3chinook up and 4 cascade. They can only go 4.8m high so I hope they will be happy with that.

Kingy said:
Telstra rope lol
Hmmm, I work in a Telstra depot, might have to take a walk down and talk to the storeman about "borrowing" some rope...

Camo6 said:
I was at home in Mooroolbark bracing for it but it went around us. Dodged a bullet I suppose but I cleaned the gutters last Saturday so am a little let down. I love a good downpour.
While I admit sisal isn't all that reliable I've been using it the last couple of seasons as I bought a decent roll of it a while back. Being cheap and lazy I like the fact I can throw it in the compost with the old bines. I've found if you tie a doubled length at one end and stick the other end in a cordless you can twist it into a nice thick plait which should last the season out.
Ringwood really copped it, Cam.

I was in the garage playing with a keg of RIS when it hit....I went deaf for a while there.

My hops are largely under the eaves, so no damage here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back