2013 W.A. Xmas Case Swap Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rad1s GA

Aroma is nice and pleasant hoppy
Small head but good carbonation
Good use of late hops
Good mouthfeel, spritzy on the aftertaste. Good balance of malt and hop
Colour is a nice amber

I'd give it a 42, great beer and very session able
Cheers

Rad 1 AA-
Great beer. Lovely malt, great balanced hopping levels. I could drink this all day. Awesome work, mate. Would be keen on a recipe.

White top “R” on lid. Not sure who brewed this, but picking it as a vienna base.

Sweet, slight honey, nutty malt character, well balanced with American hops. Is there a heap of Vienna in this? Great balance, fantastic beer.

My Amber ale is now ready to drink. Anyone tried it and care to comment? My palate isnt the best at scoring beers based on certain criteria, its either yes I like it or no I dont, more or less.

OK Danestead American Amber bottle 1/2:

I kept these in the heat for a week after delivery then they've been in the fridge since. It isn't ideal storage since they would probably prefer cellar temperature but I figured it was better than Perth summer. Fortunately the first bottle has a decent amount of gas, so it wasn't a total failure in the end.

Pours quite clear, almost bright. Nice orange red tint. No hops or malt to speak of on the nose, only some slight phenolic/green beer character.
Taste is reasonably clean, some hop flavour but its character has been lost to an indistinct combination with the strong bitterness. Malt seems well attenuated, not much depth there. Ferment is good. I find right now the balance overall to be too bitter for what malt it has.

I'll keep the other bottle warm for another month or two and see how it goes. I reckon in the end it will be cleaner, and the hops might mellow out a bit which would help. I think it will be a good drinking beer by then.

dent said:
OK Danestead American Amber bottle 1/2:

I kept these in the heat for a week after delivery then they've been in the fridge since. It isn't ideal storage since they would probably prefer cellar temperature but I figured it was better than Perth summer. Fortunately the first bottle has a decent amount of gas, so it wasn't a total failure in the end.

Pours quite clear, almost bright. Nice orange red tint. No hops or malt to speak of on the nose, only some slight phenolic/green beer character.
Taste is reasonably clean, some hop flavour but its character has been lost to an indistinct combination with the strong bitterness. Malt seems well attenuated, not much depth there. Ferment is good. I find right now the balance overall to be too bitter for what malt it has.

I'll keep the other bottle warm for another month or two and see how it goes. I reckon in the end it will be cleaner, and the hops might mellow out a bit which would help. I think it will be a good drinking beer by then.
Thanks a lot for the comments zig

OK. Tried to opened danestead first bottle of James Squire clone last night. I think you may have doubled up on the priming sugar or someone shook it violently when my back was turned!
When opened it gushed everywhere, and for some strange reason I tried to stop the flow by putting my thumb on the end which made it worse and I looked like I was celebrating after winning a GP :lol:

I dont think it was an infection because the dregs in the bottom tasted OK. Although these have been in my laundry until last week ant a fairly high temp which may not have helped with carbonation

Luckily I had two of the same and the 2nd opened and tasted fine.

Im just a homebrewer and no judge or tasting expert but this is what I tasted and can sort of describe.
Pored with a nice head and was very clear with a reddish copper tinge.
Malty aroma with toffee/caramel hint. No hop aromas that I could tell of
Seemed slight high carbonation with a carbonic bite mouth feel.
Nice malty taste with crystal malt flavours and a bitter hop taste.

I like ambers and this was good. Im glad I had the 2nd bottle.
For me I would make it less bitter next time.
Thanks

I had three stubbies of yours danestead.

Nice maltiness and I found the hopping levels to be good. Enjoyed them mate.

Cheers all. It is the 2nd time I have made that amber recipe and I enjoy it also.

I apologise for the over carb OB1! I just used castor sugar and 3/4 tsp measure so I must have accidentally double carbed up like u said!

danestead. Just re-read my post. Sounds a bit negative and criticising, this is not the case, I like ambers and this beer. I wouldn't mind having a go at brewing that myself if you could PM the recipe to me?

No worries about the over carb bottle. Caught me by surprise but was quite funny at the time :)

O-beer-wan-kenobi said:
danestead. Just re-read my post. Sounds a bit negative and criticising, this is not the case, I like ambers and this beer. I wouldn't mind having a go at brewing that myself if you could PM the recipe to me?

No worries about the over carb bottle. Caught me by surprise but was quite funny at the time :)
http://aussiehomebrewer.com/recipe/1169-jsaa-clone/

Thats the recipe mate, cheers.

Latest posts

Back