Drinking in the Sun WA Case Swap tasting notes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JYO Belgian Blonde.

Well blondes do have more fun!

Poured a beautiful golden colour, head soon dissipated, typical Belgian aromas. Great balanced flavours, and even at above 6% is quite quaffable (even though Dent will say it's not a real Belgian unless it's over 8%), I finished it and wanted more, as they say 1 glass is never enough!

Top job mate!

Milk Lizard - Kolsch

Sorry we forgot to share these around on the day.

Pours with little carbonation, very hazy especially for a Kolsch. The beer is a bit on the thin side, with not a lot of Kolsch yeast character on the nose (a lot of that isn't necessarily good anyhow). It is a little tart on the finish which slows down the drinkability IMO. It seems clean enough ferment wise otherwise. I'd mash it a little higher to balance the tartness and malt a bit better, and to improve the mouthfeel.

Apart from that I think it would benefit from an extended rest in the magic lagering fridge, rather than a week after getting sloshed around on the way here - I'll open the other bottle in a few months and we'll see.

Mitch_76 said:
(even though Dent will say it's not a real Belgian unless it's over 8%),
That's called a yeast starter.

dent said:
Milk Lizard - Kolsch

Sorry we forgot to share these around on the day.

Pours with little carbonation, very hazy especially for a Kolsch. The beer is a bit on the thin side, with not a lot of Kolsch yeast character on the nose (a lot of that isn't necessarily good anyhow). It is a little tart on the finish which slows down the drinkability IMO. It seems clean enough ferment wise otherwise. I'd mash it a little higher to balance the tartness and malt a bit better, and to improve the mouthfeel.

Apart from that I think it would benefit from an extended rest in the magic lagering fridge, rather than a week after getting sloshed around on the way here - I'll open the other bottle in a few months and we'll see.
Cheers for the feedback Dent. This was the first kolsh I have made so it's good to have some feedback on it and some constructive criticism to improve it. I did lager it at 3degrees for about a month but didn't add any gelatine to help clear it up more.
How would you go about getting more yeast character?

Eh, I don't think more is required. I reckon the subtle character will stand out nicely once it has a chance to settle out. I was just pointing out it wasn't full on Kolsch stink like I have gotten with reusing a lot of that yeast.

JYO Belgian Blonde

8HD_3670.jpg

This is nice! I've had quite a few commercials that were disappointing compared to this. It's a great beer - excellent all-round Belgian character, good ferment, good balance, superb drinkability. What yeast you use on it?

Put another kilo of black&gold white sugar in this same recipe and BAM you got a good biggo swap beer.

jyo said:
Cheers fellas. It's a bit underattenuated and I regretted not bottle conditioning it. It nearly didn't make the cut. Glad you guys are enjoying it. I should have mentioned on my shitty labels that it's 6.4%
Least you had labels mate! Poor effort on my behalf, my only excuse is was my first case swap and didn't know the rules lol

Thanks, man.

Major Arcana Green Lid Special

8HD_3673.jpg

This is very similar to Danestead's hop hog clone from the last swap. A limited amount of hop aromatics, good balance, easy drinking. The ferment is a little flawed but not enough to seriously hurt the beer - some more time in the bottle might help anyhow. Overall it is pretty good - I think to be a complete clone the hops have to be more prominent, and the ferment cleaner - the malt side is pretty damn close. But it is a good beer in its own right. Thanks.

dent said:
JYO Belgian Blonde

This is nice! I've had quite a few commercials that were disappointing compared to this. It's a great beer - excellent all-round Belgian character, good ferment, good balance, superb drinkability. What yeast you use on it?

Put another kilo of black&gold white sugar in this same recipe and BAM you got a good biggo swap beer.
Cheers, mate. It's good ole Belgian Ardennes ran at 18'. Such a lovely yeast. And thanks for not mentioning the haze :lol:

Major Arcana said:
Least you had labels mate! Poor effort on my behalf, my only excuse is was my first case swap and didn't know the rules lol
Don't stress, man!

dent said:
Thanks, man.

Major Arcana Green Lid Special

8HD_3673.jpg

This is very similar to Danestead's hop hog clone from the last swap. A limited amount of hop aromatics, good balance, easy drinking. The ferment is a little flawed but not enough to seriously hurt the beer - some more time in the bottle might help anyhow. Overall it is pretty good - I think to be a complete clone the hops have to be more prominent, and the ferment cleaner - the malt side is pretty damn close. But it is a good beer in its own right. Thanks.
Thanks mate, I agree it didn't finish off properly I wanted it to get down to 1012 FG but she finished up around 1015 way too high in my opinion, do you have any advice on how to achieve this at all? It is all temperature controlled, I was just thinking maybe it is just an extract thing, I know they finish a bit higher etc. looking forward to the next swap Dent! cheers!

Dan

JYO Belgian Blond.
A great beer to start my tasting of the Summer Case Swap. Looks great in the glass, lovely (dried) fruitiness and spicy flavours, finished a touch sweet, but still balanced.
Cheers

jyo - Belgium Blonde

Poured with good clarity and long lasting head. Distinct Belgium flavours that went down so well you never would guess it was 6.4%. Shared it with the Mrs and we both wanted more - the sign of a good beer.
Really enjoyed this thanks

Mitch_76 - Belgium Wit

Another good beer that went down easy on a warm day. Could taste some spices and had a bit of a crisp bitter finish. Very nice thanks.

Milk-Lizard84 - Lemon Saison

Not much of a head or carbonation for the style. Nice fruity and spicy flavour with the dry bitter finish. Could taste some lemon flavours. Well balanced. Thanks

Rad - All Amarillo Ale

Was expecting lots of Amarillo aromas and flavours but there wasn't much. Beer poured nice and clear with long lasting head, although the beer didn't last long in the glass. Good session ale. Thanks

These were all good beers and I don't think mine will measure up to them. It was supposed to be an English IPA but turned out much darker, I think I have my crystal malts labelled wrong. There are other things I think are wrong, will be good to see if you guys come up with the same.

Mitch-76 Belgian Wit
After a morning sweating it out in the garden this beer was the perfect tonic. A lovely bit of funk in the aroma, small white head, cloudy appearance. A good hit of spicyness and bitterness which hit the spot after hand sawing most of my front garden into sawdust. Left me wanting more! (And the recipe!!)
Cheers

Major Arcana said:
do you have any advice on how to achieve this at all?
Not really - I'm not much of an extract brewer - I don't think that beer was particularly underattenuated in the glass anyhow, seemed OK to me.

OBWK - what was the status of your beer - conditioning/ready?

Milk-Lizard84 - Lemon Saison

Not much of a head or carbonation for the style. Nice fruity and spicy flavour with the dry bitter finish. Could taste some lemon flavours. Well balanced. Thanks

Thanks for the review OBWK. My beer was bottle conditioned and only a week in the bottle so probably why it was low on fizz. Glad you enjoyed it though.

Major Arcana

I enjoyed this. Great balance between malt and hopping rates. Aroma was good. I didn't perceive underattenuation, all was good in my glass.

A nice beer, cheers!

jyo said:
Major Arcana

I enjoyed this. Great balance between malt and hopping rates. Aroma was good. I didn't perceive underattenuation, all was good in my glass.

A nice beer, cheers!
Thanks for that mate!! :icon_cheers:

Hi,
I drank a couple of my Vienna lagers over the weekend and they are not quite carbed up yet, best give them until after Christmas I think.
Cheers Ned

Latest posts

Back