Wa Christmas Case Swap 2012 Tasting Notes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the history of the world?
Stalin's tasting thread was better.

Is it the format
Yeah. Just horrible to read. Stifles breadth of user (swapper) contributions. And let's not mention issues of user (swapper) ability to sustain the format (which is the format's fault, not the swappers' (well, mostly)). How does anyone (swapper or other reader such as myself - but primarily swapper) gather anything to improve their beers when everyone's feedback is forced into a one-liner to keep the thread readable (which it already isn't after only a couple days).

Not a comment on the brews or brewers at all. I just wouldn't bother reading it at all if I thought anything down those lines.

Instructions;
1.Leave comments under the beer you're commenting on
2.prefix all comments with your name/initials and ideally the date you tasted the beer
3.Copy and paste previous post, DO NOT QUOTE
4.If your beer has just been bottled and isn't quite ready to drink, put a 'best after' date next to yours or if it is, 'ready now'
5.For those who still have undefined beers next to your name below or if you're the first person commenting on a beer below that has no name (e.g. Jyo's beer) then when you add your tasting notes also add the beer style (if known) so we know what we're supposed to be drinking.
6.Put the sort of comment here that you wouldn't be offended to receive if you brewed a beer that maybe wasn't the best or had an infection...

I Nev - Dark Lager -- Golliwog READY NOW

II Krausenhaus - American Amber - VERY READY NOW
sinkas: body and clarity and carbonation great,
very dry for style with a phenolic/fecal/burnt rubber finish
NME: Slightly hazy amber colour with a thin white head that vanishes pretty quick. Nice big hop aroma. Definitely has a big Citra flavour, nice malt sweetness and a decent carbonation level despite the head. Unfortunately I do get the old cardboard flavour, but I seem to be pretty sensitive to it. I think despite your bottling dramas, this is a really nice beer.
Drew9242: Good clarity, head disappeared quickly but could because of bottling. Good aroma and hop flavours. Just thought it was lacking something to take it to the next level. Good beer I would be happy with.
Fish - I enjoyed this beer. The low carbonation worries didn't come to fruit with a nice head some lacing. Nice malt and hop flavors and aromas. Some slight diacetyl but it worked well with the beer for me.
Doogiechap: Loved the big floral aroma hit at the start. Poured clear with a small quickly diminishing head. Malt profile was a little dry for an American Amber but the oxidisation wasn't too excessive for me and was a nice beer to finish my weekend off with :) Thanks guys !!
Nev---- I sucked a Gary Busey and gotta say it was better than most of the films he made, poured well but head dropped quickly to leave a cover of thin foam on top. Tasty with just a hint of O2. I was expecting some thing for the sink so pleasantly surprised.
cdbrown: Unfortunately no head (damn kegged beers), I didn't really get any aromas and the flavour was dominated by bandaid unfortunately. Had nice colour.

Jyo, 10.12.2012
Aroma- Low malt, slight citrus.
Appearance- looks the goods for an American amber, great colour.
Carbonation- perfect, great head retention.
I think this could have been a great beer except for the burnt rubber taste. The malt, which should be on show here as well as hops are not quite coming through enough. Enjoyed it though.
Cheers.

III- jyo- Special Best Bitter with Trademark Haze. Ready to Drink.
BBB - Couldn't see the haze through the haze. Bloody nice beer though. Would make this.

IV cdbrown - Northern German Altbier - been in the keg for 3 months, bottled the night before so get it cold - Ready Now. Low carb prob from CPBF
malt_shovel 10/12 - Brilliant clarity, head retention and malt profile. Enjoyed this a lot when brewing last night. Thanks for a quality brew.
Drew9242: Clear, mine lacked carbonation and head. But I really enjoyed this beer, would like to try to brew it me self.
keifer33: 11/12 - lower carb but nice and fine, small persistent head. initial fruity esters with a nice bitterness to compliment the malt profile. nice color and clarity also. good work Craig.
sinkas: Nice clarity,malty aromas with hint esters, spice and smoke, , nice malty yet crisp palate, damn tasty.

jyo. Ohh, the colour and clarity, so good, mate.
Great Carb, head retention is rad.
Nice malt aromas, low yeast esters.
Overall tasty, malty, some slight yeast fruitiness finishes surprisingly dry. Slight metallic bite. A great beer.

V - Zig - Czech Pils - There is also Strong Pils and Lutsenbier in these, as labeled. Drink all of them ASAP really. Keep cold.
malt_shovel 10/12 (Strong Pils) - Could read a newspaper through this. Nice carbonation and head that laced all the way. Very well balance for high ABV. Would happily drink this all day/night. Cheers
mikey (czech pils) - Clean and refreshing, went down well for a hot day. High carb, headmaster glass kept about 2cm of head the whole time! Very tasty
cdbrown (czech pils) - very clean and crisp and clear. Showed nice carbonation throughout, but very little head retention. Very easy to drink. Good work
keifer33 - 12/12 - (Lutsenbier) - icon_drool2.gif Seriously clear, nice persistant head. Aroma and flavour where great and cant fault it at all. Fantasticly easy to drink and was the best beer I could ask for after a long day.

VI - keifer33 - English Bitter (might be overcarbed so let it sit for a bit in the glass/jug) -
sinkas: yes certianly overcarbed,so it never really got down to the level where its gassiness didnt efffecn the palate, I think nottighams is probably a bit too grunty for this beer, enede up too dry with bottle conditioning, but flavours and aromas were great

VII - Drew's Brew's - Vienna Lager -
BBB assessment
Head - very good
Clarity - cloudy
Mouthfeel - lucky I have to type coz I can't speak - tongue stuck to roof of mouth wink.gif Mouthfeel is heavy but nice
Hops - nice spicey aftertaste - do I detect a hint of chocolate??
Overall - Nice beer.

VIII- Fish13 - munich lager. -
Nev--- Nice bread notes upon pouring, lively carbonation and head lasted well , nice easy drinking lager, cheers.

IX - Ledgenko - Either a crack at an Trappist Ale or a extra strong IPA
sinkas: i think this is the beer (unlabeled), not sure what it was meant to be , but unfortunatley not drinkable

X - WW (Crotchrot Brewing Company); Belgian DSA, bottle conditioned, READY NOW

XI willigan - US/kiwi pale ale.

XII - Bada Bing Brewery - Kolsch or Hefe or Pils, ALL READY NOW

mikey: (kolsch) pale straw, clean, refreshing. Bit flat but very enjoyable

XIII Spoonta - English Pale Ale
cdbrown - overcarbed when initially poured from the bottle, long lasting head, slightly cloudy, slight bitterness upfront, perhaps finished a little dry, needs a little more malt backbone, slight hint of rubber.

XIV -Ciro- ( Half bottle of Helles)?
sinkas: not too sure about this one, amazing clarity though

XV - malt_shovel - Mulberry Wheat (ready to drink)

NME: I love the colour of this beer! A really nice deep red colour. Definite mulberries on the nose and all over the flavour. I see what you mean about a lack of tart, but I think it works really really well. Very very refreshing beer and just what I needed tonight
BBB - Great colour. Loved it. The ladies here put down their champers and fought for the dregs. I really liked this beer.

XVI - Mikey - Oktoberfest - (ready to drink)

XVII - Doogiechap - Oirish Red Best to leave till Feb

XVIII - stormahead - Munich lager (two pale ales also thrown in) - ready to drink

jyo- Munich Helles?? Sweet malt and light noble hop characters on the nose. As this warms up, the malty aroma is bloody awesome! Smells like I just mashed in.
Low carbonation, thin head.
Very enjoyable beer, mate. I could drink a gallon of this on a hot day.

XIX - Drew9242 - Shedbound Belgian DSA - bottled in July, use your discretion.
Fish - very nice for a belgian lots of coffee flavours and malt. Remind me of the quiet american but much much drinkable. Went well with the chicken parma and chips for dinner

XX- sinkas - bgsa drink around Australia day

XXI - NME - American Brown - Ready now.

XXII -Dave - Belgian Strong. -

XXIII - Aces High - Cascadian dark ale - Ready now

sinkas: nice black IPA body but strong nose and finish of diacetyl
Drew9242: American dark ales aren't really my thing, I enjoyed it but wouldn't go back for more. This is more my taste than anything.
keifer33 11/12 - nice dark color with a thick persistent head. aroma of dark malts and enjoyable hoppiness. slight diacetyl (not ever powering but in lower amounts my taste buds have trouble detecting). overall a very nice dark IPA but might be nicer with a bit more piney hop flavor/aroma. would be keen for recipe if your don't mind PM ing me it .
Nev---- I had this with a customer , we both enjoyed it, could go a few more .

XXIV - Mitch_76 - Munich Dunkel -
Fish - Nice roasty flavours coming through. Nice clean bitterness and very smooth. Very little head and lacing but lovely beer

XXV - Bizier - Soured Quinoa/Oat/Rye Saison - Ready if you are thirsty, but should get funkier if you can wait.

Instructions;
1.Leave comments under the beer you're commenting on
2.prefix all comments with your name/initials and ideally the date you tasted the beer
3.Copy and paste previous post, DO NOT QUOTE
4.If your beer has just been bottled and isn't quite ready to drink, put a 'best after' date next to yours or if it is, 'ready now'
5.For those who still have undefined beers next to your name below or if you're the first person commenting on a beer below that has no name (e.g. Jyo's beer) then when you add your tasting notes also add the beer style (if known) so we know what we're supposed to be drinking.
6.Put the sort of comment here that you wouldn't be offended to receive if you brewed a beer that maybe wasn't the best or had an infection...

NME: Slightly hazy amber colour with a thin white head that vanishes pretty quick. Nice big hop aroma. Definitely has a big Citra flavour, nice malt sweetness and a decent carbonation level despite the head. Unfortunately I do get the old cardboard flavour, but I seem to be pretty sensitive to it. I think despite your bottling dramas, this is a really nice beer.
Drew9242: Good clarity, head disappeared quickly but could because of bottling. Good aroma and hop flavours. Just thought it was lacking something to take it to the next level. Good beer I would be happy with.
Fish - I enjoyed this beer. The low carbonation worries didn't come to fruit with a nice head some lacing. Nice malt and hop flavors and aromas. Some slight diacetyl but it worked well with the beer for me.
Doogiechap: Loved the big floral aroma hit at the start. Poured clear with a small quickly diminishing head. Malt profile was a little dry for an American Amber but the oxidisation wasn't too excessive for me and was a nice beer to finish my weekend off with :) Thanks guys !!
Nev---- I sucked a Gary Busey and gotta say it was better than most of the films he made, poured well but head dropped quickly to leave a cover of thin foam on top. Tasty with just a hint of O2. I was expecting some thing for the sink so pleasantly surprised.
cdbrown: Unfortunately no head (damn kegged beers), I didn't really get any aromas and the flavour was dominated by bandaid unfortunately. Had nice colour.

Jyo, 10.12.2012
I think this could have been a great beer except for the burnt rubber taste. The malt, which should be on show here as well as hops are not quite coming through enough. Enjoyed it though.
Cheers.

BBB - Couldn't see the haze through the haze. Bloody nice beer though. Would make this.

IV cdbrown - Northern German Altbier - been in the keg for 3 months, bottled the night before so get it cold - Ready Now. Low carb prob from CPBF
malt_shovel 10/12 - Brilliant clarity, head retention and malt profile. Enjoyed this a lot when brewing last night. Thanks for a quality brew.
Drew9242: Clear, mine lacked carbonation and head. But I really enjoyed this beer, would like to try to brew it me self.
keifer33: 11/12 - lower carb but nice and fine, small persistent head. initial fruity esters with a nice bitterness to compliment the malt profile. nice color and clarity also. good work Craig.
sinkas: Nice clarity,malty aromas with hint esters, spice and smoke, , nice malty yet crisp palate, damn tasty.

Overall tasty, malty, some slight yeast fruitiness finishes surprisingly dry. Slight metallic bite. A great beer.

V - Zig - Czech Pils - There is also Strong Pils and Lutsenbier in these, as labeled. Drink all of them ASAP really. Keep cold.
malt_shovel 10/12 (Strong Pils) - Could read a newspaper through this. Nice carbonation and head that laced all the way. Very well balance for high ABV. Would happily drink this all day/night. Cheers
mikey (czech pils) - Clean and refreshing, went down well for a hot day. High carb, headmaster glass kept about 2cm of head the whole time! Very tasty
cdbrown (czech pils) - very clean and crisp and clear. Showed nice carbonation throughout, but very little head retention. Very easy to drink. Good work
keifer33 - 12/12 - (Lutsenbier) - icon_drool2.gif Seriously clear, nice persistant head. Aroma and flavour where great and cant fault it at all. Fantasticly easy to drink and was the best beer I could ask for after a long day.

VI - keifer33 - English Bitter (might be overcarbed so let it sit for a bit in the glass/jug) -
sinkas: yes certianly overcarbed,so it never really got down to the level where its gassiness didnt efffecn the palate, I think nottighams is probably a bit too grunty for this beer, enede up too dry with bottle conditioning, but flavours and aromas were great

BBB assessment
Head - very good
Clarity - cloudy
Mouthfeel - lucky I have to type coz I can't speak - tongue stuck to roof of mouth wink.gif Mouthfeel is heavy but nice
Overall - Nice beer.

Nev--- Nice bread notes upon pouring, lively carbonation and head lasted well , nice easy drinking lager, cheers.

sinkas: i think this is the beer (unlabeled), not sure what it was meant to be , but unfortunatley not drinkable

NME: (Hefe) - For someone who isnt a big drinker of wheats, Id liked this a lot! Very light, mildy carbed and refreshing while having a really really nice fruity flavour and a nice light bitterness. Slight breadiness in the background and the clarity is pretty decent too. Thanks a lot :)

cdbrown - overcarbed when initially poured from the bottle, long lasting head, slightly cloudy, slight bitterness upfront, perhaps finished a little dry, needs a little more malt backbone, slight hint of rubber.

NME: I love the colour of this beer! A really nice deep red colour. Definite mulberries on the nose and all over the flavour. I see what you mean about a lack of tart, but I think it works really really well. Very very refreshing beer and just what I needed tonight
BBB - Great colour. Loved it. The ladies here put down their champers and fought for the dregs. I really liked this beer.

XVIII - stormahead - Munich lager (two pale ales also thrown in) - ready to drink

jyo- Munich Helles?? Sweet malt and light noble hop characters on the nose. As this warms up, the malty aroma is bloody awesome! Smells like I just mashed in.

Fish - very nice for a belgian lots of coffee flavours and malt. Remind me of the quiet american but much much drinkable. Went well with the chicken parma and chips for dinner

Drew9242: American dark ales aren't really my thing, I enjoyed it but wouldn't go back for more. This is more my taste than anything.
keifer33 11/12 - nice dark color with a thick persistent head. aroma of dark malts and enjoyable hoppiness. slight diacetyl (not ever powering but in lower amounts my taste buds have trouble detecting). overall a very nice dark IPA but might be nicer with a bit more piney hop flavor/aroma. would be keen for recipe if your don't mind PM ing me it .

Fish - Nice roasty flavours coming through. Nice clean bitterness and very smooth. Very little head and lacing but lovely beer

XXV - Bizier - Soured Quinoa/Oat/Rye Saison - Ready if you are thirsty, but should get funkier if you can wait.

Stalin's tasting thread was better.

Yeah. Just horrible to read. Stifles breadth of user (swapper) contributions. And let's not mention issues of user (swapper) ability to sustain the format (which is the format's fault, not the swappers' (well, mostly)). How does anyone (swapper or other reader such as myself - but primarily swapper) gather anything to improve their beers when everyone's feedback is forced into a one-liner to keep the thread readable (which it already isn't after only a couple days).

Not a comment on the brews or brewers at all. I just wouldn't bother reading it at all if I thought anything down those lines.

Yeah, I knew you weren't pissing on the brewers, mate.

I do see your point. It can be a touch tedious to scroll through the lot to find what you want. The thread from a couple of years ago used the same format yet it was modded every couple of days to hold everything to just the one page, which I liked.

What you need is some sort of page that one person at a time can edit. Then you could keep it all in one page and not have to scroll down heaps of posts.

Added the bullet lists. Hopefully it will be not too difficult for the beer drinking editors.

It's friday so I've been adding some reviews. It would be nice if we could have a few reviews for every beer on the list in the end - so far I think we've got more useful feedback than the PRBS ;)

Jyo, 10.12.2012
Cheers.

BBB assessment
Head - very good
Clarity - cloudy
Overall - Nice beer.

Dave; Really enjoyed this beer, I am a fan of Pale ales and I.P.A's and to me this was more like an I.P.A. Great aroma and hop flavours well balanced with malt profile. Combo of hops went well together - wish I had more! Thanks Willigan.

NME: (Hefe) - For someone who isnt a big drinker of wheats, Id liked this a lot! Very light, mildy carbed and refreshing while having a really really nice fruity flavour and a nice light bitterness. Slight breadiness in the background and the clarity is pretty decent too. Thanks a lot

If the respective brewers would be happy to share, I'd like to get the recipes for

NME American Brown
Mitch76 Munich Dunkel
Aces Cascadian dark ale
Krausenhaus American Amber

Thanks!

Quick one the crotchrut belgian DSA is highly carbonated. Poor with caution. My bottle had ballooned out.

Hey david glad you enjoyed my brew. How was the carbonation? Only bottled it the night before swap so wasn't sure if it would be ready just yet.

If the respective brewers would be happy to share, I'd like to get the recipes for

NME American Brown
Mitch76 Munich Dunkel
Aces Cascadian dark ale
Krausenhaus American Amber

Thanks!

Sure thing, glad you enjoyed it.. we haven't put our reviews up yet but jesus christ your pilsner was magical.

Case Swap Amber
American Amber Ale

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 42.0
Total Grain (kg): 10.100
Total Hops (g): 105.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.053 (P): 13.1
Final Gravity (FG): 1.011 (P): 2.8
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.55 %
Colour (SRM): 11.3 (EBC): 22.3
Bitterness (IBU): 32.6 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
7.000 kg Pale Ale Malt (69.31%)
2.500 kg Munich I (24.75%)
0.300 kg Caraaroma (2.97%)
0.300 kg BB Medium Crystal (2.97%)

Hop Bill
----------------
25.0 g Magnum Pellet (12.2% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.6 g/L)
25.0 g Citra Pellet (13.9% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (0.6 g/L)
25.0 g Citra Pellet (13.9% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (0.6 g/L)
30.0 g Citra Pellet (13.9% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 65C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 19C with Safale US-05

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Great, thanks for that. Glad you enjoyed the pils.

Back