Wa Christmas Case Swap 2012 Tasting Notes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey david glad you enjoyed my brew. How was the carbonation? Only bottled it the night before swap so wasn't sure if it would be ready just yet.

It was carbed enough - maybe thats why the hop character was so prominent - enjoyed it anyways. Would like your recipe if your happy to share.

yeh no worries:

willigans US/NZ pale ale

5.3 kg Pale malt
500g Munich Malt - 10L
220g Carafoam
220g Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
220g Melanoiden Malt

single infusion @ 66C for 60min

60 minute boil
First wort hop: 11g each citra/nelson sauvin
15min: 17.5g each citra/nelson
10min: 17.5g each citra/nelson
5 min: 17.5g each citra/nelson
0min: 17.5g each citra/nelson

dry hops: 50g cascade, 25g citra 15g nelson sauvin for 6 days in secondary

fermented with 1056 @ 18C
OG: ~1.064 ish
FG: ~1.018

Whose beer is labelled 'Not nev's dunkel. Munich Lager?'
I hold grave concerns for this beer. It's 3/4 full (like a few of the beers ya cheap buggers :p ) and has started fermenting and mini krausening in the bottle. It's in the fridge now.

Whose beer is labelled 'Not nev's dunkel. Munich Lager?'
I hold grave concerns for this beer. It's 3/4 full (like a few of the beers ya cheap buggers :p ) and has started fermenting and mini krausening in the bottle. It's in the fridge now.
Fish13, should be well carbed up now :rolleyes:
Nev

yeh no worries:

willigans US/NZ pale ale

5.3 kg Pale malt
500g Munich Malt - 10L
220g Carafoam
220g Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
220g Melanoiden Malt

single infusion @ 66C for 60min

60 minute boil
First wort hop: 11g each citra/nelson sauvin
15min: 17.5g each citra/nelson
10min: 17.5g each citra/nelson
5 min: 17.5g each citra/nelson
0min: 17.5g each citra/nelson

dry hops: 50g cascade, 25g citra 15g nelson sauvin for 6 days in secondary

fermented with 1056 @ 18C
OG: ~1.064 ish
FG: ~1.018
Thanks Willigan 20L batch?

Cheers, Nev. We shall see how it goes.

yeah sorry jyo. i didnt quite make the litre age i needed so i scimped..... if its infected mate i am sorry. its called not nevs dunkel as i asked for his dunkel recipe but instead gave me a munich lager recipe.

yeah sorry jyo. i didnt quite make the litre age i needed so i scimped..... if its infected mate i am sorry. its called not nevs dunkel as i asked for his dunkel recipe but instead gave me a munich lager recipe.

Hey mate. Don't stress! Some slight funk but it turned out pretty drinkable. I will put up tasting notes later.

Cheers.

thanks mate. Put warning to drink now on it please!!!!

If the respective brewers would be happy to share, I'd like to get the recipes for

NME American Brown
Mitch76 Munich Dunkel
Aces Cascadian dark ale
Krausenhaus American Amber

Thanks!

Here ya go Zig, you should get better results than this attempt as my initial gravity was a bit low, I ended up with your standard Czech Pils, would love one of the stronger ones if you have any left?

Cheers, Clinton

Recipe: Munich Dunkel Case Swap
Brewer: Clinton Mitchell

Batch Size (fermenter): 22.00 l
Bottling Volume: 19.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.055 SG
Estimated Color: 38.4 EBC
Estimated IBU: 24.1 IBUs
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU

5.00 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 5 91.2 %
0.25 kg Carafa Special I (Weyermann) (630.4 EBC) Grain 6 4.6 %
0.23 kg Caramunich III (Weyermann) (139.9 EBC) Grain 7 4.2 %
15.00 g Magnum [12.50 %] - First Wort 90.0 min Hop 8 24.1 IBUs
1.00 tsp Brew Brite (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 9 -
1.0 pkg Hella Bock (Wyeast Labs #2487) Yeast 10 -
0.50 tsp Yeast Nutrient Other 11 -

Mash Schedule:
Name Temperature Step Time
Mash In 63.0 C 10 min
Mash Step 68.0 C 50 min
Mash Step 72.0 C 10 min
Mash Out 78.0 C 10 min

Just wanted to apologies for the lack of quality in my beer. Had a bottle left over that I tasted today... Well I think it ranks as the worse beer I have made too date and due to bad note keeping I cant pinpoint the problem but I am guessing something in the bottling stages as I haven't done this in ages thanks to kegs.

I will make sure my beer in the next swap is started well in advance and will have plenty of time to age and be tested. My brewery should be well placed in my new home over the next month of so and can get brewing again.

Just wanted to apologies for the lack of quality in my beer. Had a bottle left over that I tasted today... Well I think it ranks as the worse beer I have made too date and due to bad note keeping I cant pinpoint the problem but I am guessing something in the bottling stages as I haven't done this in ages thanks to kegs.

I will make sure my beer in the next swap is started well in advance and will have plenty of time to age and be tested. My brewery should be well placed in my new home over the next month of so and can get brewing again.

Well seems mine was like to. My problem was poor bottle handling and not sterilizing the cup i used to rehydrate the yeast in. I grabbed a small sample of the beer and through in the yeast. So my bad at a real try at a lager

Can someone please help me find the tasting notes now the site has had the upgrade?

Never ever allow anyone to enter a belgain again!

No. my pallat says wtf is the cough syrup.

Belgian Dark Strong is an acquired taste and can be pretty in your face, mate. Very complex beers, though can't say I have ever got cough syrup. It's dark fruit, glazed and caramelised figs and warm alcohol for me.

I think there were 4 BDS in this year's swap. Maybe a bit on the high side considering the 'approachability' of the style.

Back