Qld Christmas 2015 Case Swap TASTING

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
antiphile said:
I had to put the swap beers aside for a few days because my driving style means everything gets shaken up a bit. Or a lot. OK, like a mikshake. But I have to say all of the beers on tap over the weekend were just bloody sensational. There's 2 I have to highlight that I just really loved.

One being the farm dam sediment (I think it was called heady topper) that was just sensationally hoppy and very moreish. The other (which surprised me 'cos I couldn't believe someone would be so stupid to do such a moronic thing) was the coffee pilsner. Amazingly good and certainly not a combination I would have ever thought would be drinkable. But it just worked and was truly beautiful.

Well done everyone.
Just getting back to read through the thread and you're right, heady topper is the one. I'm quite happy to share the recipe, if anyone wants. The malt bill is basic as but the hop bill is intense. It's probably the 4th time I've done it and it's always been sensational, the Vermont Ale yeast from the yeast bay makes a huge difference compared to Wyeast American 2 or US05 as I've tested both and found it superior. Shoot me a pm if you want the recipe and be prepared to spend $$ on hops

A bit more info on the recipe would be great, because I need to work out how to get such a great hop flavour. I'm particularly interested in the hop schedule which I'm assuming has a big emphasis on whirlpool as well as dry hopping.

And I'm really sorry I listened to Parks (?). I took him literally when he said it would be wise to use condoms with you, but after the third try I'll admit there was a lot more sensation without them.

fattox said:
Just getting back to read through the thread and you're right, heady topper is the one. I'm quite happy to share the recipe, if anyone wants. The malt bill is basic as but the hop bill is intense. It's probably the 4th time I've done it and it's always been sensational, the Vermont Ale yeast from the yeast bay makes a huge difference compared to Wyeast American 2 or US05 as I've tested both and found it superior. Shoot me a pm if you want the recipe and be prepared to spend $$ on hops
Mate, the aromas from your '3 shades of green' was sensational. Been looking around, and managed to score a vial of the Vermont before it all sprinted out the door. And yeah...the coffee pils was a surprising lovely little treat.

15. ciderman - Best Bitter 4.4% 29ibu

Low carbonation, balanced slightly chewy caramel malt. Bang on!

Good range of beers so far. I really enjoyed #10 ESB and #16 Belgian Pale. Can't say I got much of the Belgian Yeast in #16, tasted quite clean almost like an American amber ale. Loved it though and the ESB really made my beer of similar style look pedestrian.

#8 and #13 APA styles quite over carbed but enjoyable. #17 was flat as pancake. Threw on the carbonator cap and it turned out pretty good.

antiphile said:
A bit more info on the recipe would be great, because I need to work out how to get such a great hop flavour. I'm particularly interested in the hop schedule which I'm assuming has a big emphasis on whirlpool as well as dry hopping.

And I'm really sorry I listened to Parks (?). I took him literally when he said it would be wise to use condoms with you, but after the third try I'll admit there was a lot more sensation without them.
I've replied to the Frenchman but I figure there's probably a few chasing it -

23 litre batch size @ 81% brewhouse efficiency
1.073 OG
1.012 FG
134 theoretical IBU
5.8kg Pearl or other British pale. Pearl is what they use but I've done it with Maris Otter and Golden Promise to equal success
160g carared
400g Demerara sugar
50g choc wheat if you're a fuckin idiot like me and graciously accepted 3kg to use

Mash appropriately for a 1.012ish finishing gravity

Hops:
36.5 IBU magnum @ 60
28 IBU simcoe at 30
Steep - at flameout, throw in 26.8g each of Apollo, cascade, centennial, simcoe and Columbus. Probably in some sort of hop bag, maybe two to get better surface exposure. Initiate chilling, whirlpool, and steep the hops for half an hour.
Ferment at 18 starting with Vermont ale, ramp to 23 over a week or so. Once you're at 1.020 or so, throw 28.4g each of Apollo, centennial and chinook, and 56.8g of simcoe at it for 4-5 days max. Cold crash to clear hops, unlike me, and rack into a keg or bottle prime to 2.5vol

Also my swap beer is ready to go. Gose alright too. A bit more citrus from the coriander than I'd have liked but still wicked impressed with it

I had you gose yesterday, you brew a freakin delicious drop of beer imo. As you noted, a bit more citrus, compared to the other gose in the swap (only 2 I've ever had).
I really enjoyed these two beers, will have to attempt my own gose soon!

Hope people enjoyed my beer, what with it being essentially a Hawaiian pizza in a bottle LOL

Thanks to all for their beers, been a fair few crackers in this swap again.
Brewing levels are very high in SEQ :)

4. Earle - cascade amber ale - (READY)

Gee, this was a top drop mate. Really enjoyed it, heaps of body malty juices, and enough hoppiness to satisfy. Definitely shekel worthy. Sitting in the glass next to PET bottle, colours were identical.

7. luggy: hoppy saison, vic secret & citra and dry hopped with Amarillo. (20 December)

I'm not sure what I was looking for here, but whatever it was, it was really easy to drink. I find that I do enjoy a saison without understanding the nuances (big word of the day) peculiar to the style. Very enjoyable and wouldn't be taking this back for a refund.

13. Nick B - APAish thing. (READY)

A nice beer. Hit the spot for this bloke. Went down easy on a hot day. Good body to it, an enjoyable Pale Ale.

16. Parks - Belgian Pale Ale (READY)

Again, repeat comment from above regarding style nuances and such. But damn I enjoyed thiis one Troy.

20. BPH87 - Hefeweizen - (16 December)

Umm, a long day by the time I got to this one. Not as 'soft' or pale as I expect with my wheaties, but as a standalone beer fitting it's own style characteristics, 'tweren't a bad drop mate.

22. Aydos - Galaxy Pale Ale (READY)

I enjoyed it.....Pale'ish and ale'ish, it was easy to drink.

To anyone that hasn't had mine yet it might be worth degassing the bottle. They seem the be a bit over carbed

3. Liam_Snorkel - black brett saison (13 December) - give it a week or so to fully carb up)

One word - yum.

More words - delightfully interesting. Brett character is light and blends awesomely with the roast. Medium body with a medium sweet-dry finish that shows some solid pepper and a little tartness as the malt fades.
I possibly get some chilli too but could be just the pepper. This beer appeals to me as a stout, a porter, a soured beer and a spiced beer - something for everyone.

I would love you to save some for next year's comps but then again just drink it :chug: :beerbang:

15972_10153059937645904_5658755981800342135_n.jpg

seehuusen said:
I had you gose yesterday, you brew a freakin delicious drop of beer imo. As you noted, a bit more citrus, compared to the other gose in the swap (only 2 I've ever had).
I really enjoyed these two beers, will have to attempt my own gose soon!

Hope people enjoyed my beer, what with it being essentially a Hawaiian pizza in a bottle LOL

Thanks to all for their beers, been a fair few crackers in this swap again.
Brewing levels are very high in SEQ :)
Thanks mate! My last swap beer is good to go as well, the imperial dark lager/Baltic porter.

21. Seehuusen - Pineapple Torpedo - Pale Ale w. Wood Roasted Pineapple in secondary. Bottled 3/12/15, give it 3 weeks.

Wow, this time s a really interesting beer. Getting a real pineapple tang from it. It depends not get much smoke but there is a richness there as evidence of the roasting caramelising the fruit sugars. Yum

Earle - cascade amber ale - pretty solid. Normally not a fan of the style as some are underattenuated or overly sweet, but this is spot on. Well balanced with the cascade. Solid effort mate

Drinking 8.kegs- Galaxy/Marris smash. It's a bit over carbed but it's very sessionable. Thanks mate

View attachment 85784

Put down no. 21, the pineapple torpedo - spot on. Mirroring what Ben said, great beer.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1451120772.861004.jpg
Currently into no. 20 - BPH87's Hefeweizen. Probably a bit dark for the style, lacking the head traditionally seen in the style but the taste is good. Maybe a tad underattenuated or under carbed. Overall still quite drinkable and I'm enjoying it, but yeah, maybe just not quite to the style.

#2 Fattox's dickbutt gose
Really enjoyed it, nice and tart getting a lot of lemon and there is a subtle hint of of salt. Very refreshing, the one I had I reckon if it had a bit more spritz to it it would've made it perfect. Great beer mate

Well had most of them now... Really enjoyed the two smoked beers, #21 Pineapple and #23 Manuka. Great line up and of everything I'll probably brew a Gose after trying two in the swap. I did prefer Lukifer over Fattox but they were both great.

Only have #1, #18 and #20 to go...

3. Liam_Snorkel - black brett saison

Bloody good beer mate, has a real woody aroma and a hint of funkiness. The flavour is clean and subtle, not too much from the saison and the brett isn't over powering either. Very well balanced beer that I could have done with more bottles of.

1451308386291.jpg

Latest posts

Back