Qld Christmas 2015 Case Swap TASTING

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1451372126.597050.jpg

19. antiphile - Jonah Lomu American style IPA (READY) -

A real smack between the eyes, this one. Didn't have the end end hoppiness I was expecting that smacks your tastebuds into next week....more like a piece of 4 x 2 across the ribs. I really enjoyed this one mate. Lovely drop.

23. Ballantyne - something smoked (27 December) -

This was different. Smoked tells my eyes that I'm gonna be looking at a dark beer, but what I saw was a wheatie that could have been poured over some spare ribs. Really enjoyed it.

Aydan Rogers galaxy pale ale.
I would expect passionfruit from galaxy as the 2 times I have used it have been keg hopping in a pale ale.
It's almost like a gentle sour. Wonder if my bottle was infected?
Really enjoying it nonetheless.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1451468860.457421.jpg

Last night I had Fattox's Dickbutt Gose
Tasted a bit like lemon powerade if they fermented it and added some coriander. Infinitely refreshing. ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1451470560.771615.jpg

And earlier today I had Luggy's hoppy saison.
Tropical fruit salad beer with some peppery yeast attitude. Also very drinkable.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1451470713.427891.jpg

21. Seehuusen - Pineapple Torpedo - Pale Ale w. Wood Roasted Pineapple
Sweet fruity aroma, flavour is fruity but dry and I'm not sure if I'm imagining it but there's some kind of woody tannic aspect to the bitterness. Complex but still subtle enough to smash, and the head retention & lacing game is strong. Nice one Martin!
Edit: once it warmed up I got some smoke in the aroma which completed the woody flavours, bloody delicious.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1451471144.718940.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1451471205.671563.jpg

BenKen's smoked pumpkin XXXX clone grub ale.
Borderline schlenkerla aroma, flavour follows with sweet malt and more smoke, without being chewy. Meringue-like foam stability is making the stupidly high carbonation hard to deal with but I managed to fill a pint. Five stars.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1451476653.041273.jpg

24. madpierre06 - Longus Dongus Gladfields Cream Ale

Had this in the middle of a poker game last night so not the fullest notes.

Head retention was strong and nicely carbonated. Had a pleasing creamy mouthful.

Really enjoyable beer. Could happily drink a few in a row.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1451518576.954487.jpg

13. Nicks APA thing - carbonation seems a touch high, bottle was more swollen than Liam's member, bit funky but still drinkable. Maybe infected

Liam's black saison.
Aroma is funky, taste is funky but a gentle roasty saison after-taste. Maybe stout after-taste.
Dregs being saved for my saison barrel in early January.
"Saison avec infection de snorlax"
Will watch movie in new year.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1451563334.013537.jpg

Ben Kendall's smoked pumpkin ale
Absolutely bags of smoke in the aroma.
Awesome lacing on the glass.
Great smoke flavour as well.
Really enjoying this.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1451563499.621826.jpg

Ballantynebrew's manuka rauch.
Like pacific ale except with smoke instead of hops. Tasty & smashable

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1451565367.448869.jpg

Soz I had to lay this one down for a bit to get it chilled and got some sediment in it.
High carbonation, aroma is light muddled yeastifruitiness. Tastes of lightly toasted malt and yeast and some zesty fruit. Balanced bitterness, goes down easy. I think I preferred the biggus dickus version from a year ago but that might be because I didn't pour the sediment in then. Good stuff
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1451811475.867152.jpg

Liam_snorkel said:
Soz I had to lay this one down for a bit to get it chilled and got some sediment in it.
High carbonation, aroma is light muddled yeastifruitiness. Tastes of lightly toasted malt and yeast and some zesty fruit. Balanced bitterness, goes down easy. I think I preferred the biggus dickus version from a year ago but that might be because I didn't pour the sediment in then. Good stuff
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1451811475.867152.jpg
Cheers mate. The changing to the Gladfields did make a difference to the end result, I felt that it gave my Longus Dongus more of a malty backbone, whereas my Biggus Dikkus was more spritzy.

2. Fattox Dickbutt Gose

What the other blokes said, really. A nice balance twixt the primary players, an easy and enjoyable beer mate.

Today I bottled a dry irish stout I'd made over Christmas.
Not having a second stirbar for my bug production, i was contemplating what to do with Liam_Snorkel's brett infested beer, introducing "The Snorkeling Irishman" ;)

Will taste this in a few month's time :)

Ps. Decanted off the remaining beer, which had a delicious dark berry note to it mmmmm

1451876508304.jpg

11. Angus - Weisse Guy, eh.

Spritzy lemon salt-lick in a glass. Bulk carbed, holds a beautiful fluffy white head all the way, very, very easy to drink and one I would happily throw a few gold doubloons for on a regular basis over the summer season. LOved this one mate, top drop.

1. Benken25 - smoked pumpkin

Hmmm, different. Big bodied, could pick up the pumpkin there, but for me the most striking aspect was aroma in the glass. All I got was a pouch of Bank tobacco, which was a favourite back in the day ( 14 years gone now) when I was on the durries. Fresh, smoky aromatic, ready to roll. Even got my missus to have a whiff, she thought likewise. Massively carbed, and got a bit more alcohol warmth as it warmed in the glass without losing the body punch. To me it seemed well balanced, just taste-wise not something I would go out of my way for.

madpierre06 said:
1. Benken25 - smoked pumpkin

Hmmm, different. Big bodied, could pick up the pumpkin there, but for me the most striking aspect was aroma in the glass. All I got was a pouch of Bank tobacco, which was a favourite back in the day ( 14 years gone now) when I was on the durries. Fresh, smoky aromatic, ready to roll. Even got my missus to have a whiff, she thought likewise. Massively carbed, and got a bit more alcohol warmth as it warmed in the glass without losing the body punch. To me it seemed well balanced, just taste-wise not something I would go out of my way for.
Given that when I first had this one it was my fourth bottle for the day, so recapped with half contents still in the bottle. Open the balance today for lunch with a spicy spag bol jaffle...,.met with a massive hiss so it obviously brings it's own carb cap, and tasted completely different when drunk with the spicy food. A fantastic combo with the spicy food mate.

Latest posts

Back