Qld Christmas 2015 Case Swap TASTING

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Liam_snorkel said:
19. antiphile - Jonah Lomu American Style IPA ABV 7.4%-ish

yeah this is pretty juicy. Attractive clear golden-amber colour with a pinch of hop haze, oh that's a good sign. Not getting a huge aroma, but the malt & hop oil juiciness is doing all the right things. This is balanced & dangerously clean tasting considering the ABV. May have squirted some of Yob's gear in at the end :)

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1450266783.048753.jpg

I know I shouldn't be surprised, but the things I find most fascinating and helpful are the consistency of everyone's comments in the beers (not just mine). It really helps to get objective opinions that point the way to future iterations and improvements. It's really glaringly obvious from you all, I can safely push a lot of the hopping to much later in the boil (something up until recently I've had some reticence about).

And, I'm too stoopid to use hop extract, Liam. I'd end up putting in waaaay too much for sure. :D

Thanks to you all. It's beginning to fell like a beery Christmas, da de dah, de dum...

10. Antiphile Pale ESB - Mate, loving this drop. Side by side with a Piefection Mongrel ( two pork snags separated by pulled pork and wrapped in lovely puff p[astry ) , nice level of bitterness and malty goodness, carbonation and lovely golden haze. Nothing over the top here, just a loverly, well balanced beer. :beerbang:

antiphile said:
I know I shouldn't be surprised, but the things I find most fascinating and helpful are the consistency of everyone's comments in the beers (not just mine). It really helps to get objective opinions that point the way to future iterations and improvements. It's really glaringly obvious from you all, I can safely push a lot of the hopping to much later in the boil (something up until recently I've had some reticence about).

And, I'm too stoopid to use hop extract, Liam. I'd end up putting in waaaay too much for sure. :D

Thanks to you all. It's beginning to fell like a beery Christmas, da de dah, de dum...
did you dry-hop it at all? One good load (~2g/l) of hops in a loose bag a few days before bottling should do the trick.
It was delicious but maybe missing that big punch-in-the-nose (or Lomu right arm fend) aroma.

Liam_snorkel said:
did you dry-hop it at all? One good load (~2g/l) of hops in a loose bag a few days before bottling should do the trick.
It was delicious but maybe missing that big punch-in-the-nose (or Lomu right arm fend) aroma.
Are you talking about the fend he used on Mike Carling :lol:

I wouldn't be game to take on Mike Carling, but I can drop my Brunhilda (if she's looking the other way and doesn't know I'm there)!

Actually, Liam, it's quite funny I 'spose because I thought I'd gone out on a limb and really blasted it with a lot of dry hops (for me anyway). But, obviously not enough, and it couldn't hurt to move a fair amount of them from the earlier part of the boil to nearer the end.

Recipe: All Black's 2015 World Cup IPA
Brewer: antiphile
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (39.0) Apperance: Clarity very good. Head retention good to very good. Carbonation ideal and long lasting. Colour amber to golden.

Flavour: Light to medium body, good balance for American IPA (IBU/SG=0.9). Moderately high bitterness, moderately high hop flavour, but moderately low hop aroma. High ABV masked by malt and hops. Very refreshing.

Suggestions: Good yeast choice for this style but consider slightly more late and dry hopping.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 63.66 l
Post Boil Volume: 56.16 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 50.00 l
Bottling Volume: 52.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.065 SG
Estimated Color: 11.7 EBC
Estimated IBU: 58.7 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 78.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 84.2 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
50.00 l Charlestown to Pale Ale Water 1 -
18.01 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 2 -
8.57 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 3 -
5.04 g Chalk (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 4 -
1.20 g Baking Soda (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 5 -
1.19 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 6 -
4.50 kg Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (3.9 EBC) Grain 7 34.9 %
4.00 kg Pale Ale Malt (Muntons) (5.9 EBC) Grain 8 31.0 %
0.75 kg Carahell (25.0 EBC) Grain 9 5.8 %
0.75 kg Wheat Malt (BB) (3.9 EBC) Grain 10 5.8 %
0.50 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 11 3.9 %
0.25 kg Acidulated (Weyermann) (3.5 EBC) Grain 12 1.9 %
0.15 kg Caramunich II (120.0 EBC) Grain 13 1.2 %
35.00 g Magnum [12.70 %] - First Wort 120.0 min Hop 14 26.5 IBUs
20.00 g Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 25.0 min Hop 15 6.3 IBUs
15.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 25.0 min Hop 16 2.8 IBUs
15.00 g Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 25.0 min Hop 17 6.2 IBUs
10.00 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 25.0 min Hop 18 3.4 IBUs
10.00 g Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 25.0 min Hop 19 4.5 IBUs
9.00 g Brewbrite (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 20 -
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Wyeast) (Boil 10.0 mins) Other 21 -
20.00 g Amarillo [9.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 15. Hop 22 2.3 IBUs
15.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 15.0 Hop 23 1.0 IBUs
15.00 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool Hop 24 1.8 IBUs
15.00 g Citra [12.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 15.0 Hop 25 2.2 IBUs
10.00 g Simcoe [13.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 15.0 Hop 26 1.6 IBUs
1.0 pkg California Ale V (White Labs #WLP051) [3 Yeast 27 -
1.50 kg LME Pilsen Light (Briess) (4.5 EBC) Extract 28 11.6 %
0.50 kg Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 EBC) Sugar 29 3.9 %
25.00 g Amarillo [9.20 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 30 0.0 IBUs
25.00 g Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 31 0.0 IBUs
15.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 32 0.0 IBUs
15.00 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 33 0.0 IBUs
15.00 g Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 34 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: My Mash
Total Grain Weight: 12.90 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 20.02 l of water at 59.4 C 53.0 C 20 min
Sach 1 Add 8.82 l of water at 97.9 C 65.0 C 20 min
Sach2 Add 2.07 l of water at 98.8 C 67.0 C 40 min
Sach3 Add 6.75 l of water at 98.0 C 72.0 C 20 min
Mash Out Decoct 6.40 l of mash and boil it 76.0 C 10 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 39.41 l water at 75.6 C
Notes:
------
14/10.15: Brew Eve
Pre-milling: Malt conditioned using 160 ml water for 11 kg grain; milled at 1.0 mm gap.
4 litre (3-step) starter WLP051 (Californian Ale V yeast prepared).
50 litres water prepared as per recipe; except for chalk (CaCO3) to be added at mash-in stage.

15/10/15: Brew Day
Too much sparge water. Finished with 50 litres into fermenter at 1.053 at 23:00 hours.
Aerated with pure oxygen (1 minute @ 1 litre/min)

16/10/15
Very active fermentation at 08:30 hours
Added 1.5 kg Briess Pilsen LME, and 500g dextrose (all dissolved in 3 litres of boiling water) to get OG of 1.063. Will need to adjust with more bittering/flavour/aroma hopping.

PS. The name change only came after I heard about Jonah's passing.

madpierre06 said:
Are you talking about the fend he used on Mike Carling :lol:
hehe, and the rest of them.

RE hops Antiphile - for a US IPA I (personally) usually use about the same amount in a single (21 litre) batch. (so double the g/L). Mostly in the late hops (~8g/L). It might sound excessive but it's also delicious :icon_drool2:

#20 bph87 hefeweizen

Sorry mate but mine is really undercarbed, poured with no head and has kind of a strange sweetness to it. Its fairly dark for a hefe too. Sorry mate but it wasnt very enjoyable

Luggy's Hoppy Saison
A bit of haze, lots of classic saison flavours from that French saison yeast? Dry beer with a fair carbonation.

I really enjoyed it mate.
The only critique I've got is the name suggested hoppyness, and I didn't think it delivered that much in terms of hop aroma.

Liam's bretted saison, top drop mate. That level of Brett was perfect for my liking. I'll be spinning up the remaining third of the swap beer to harvest some funky yeast for a brew in a month or two ;)

Thanks for the drink :D

Cheers,
Martin

24. madpierre06 - Longus Dongus Gladfields Cream Ale - Ready to drink

Such a lovely beer. Has far more malt character than any cream ale I've had before which may put it out of style a touch but whatever. I'm glad to hear this is going to be your house beer.

Great job mate.

Will be saving Liam's dregs to spin up and dump in my barrel-aged saison early January. As well as dregs from Almanac sours I drink over holidays.

Thanks for the bugs Liam.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1450416889.676651.jpg

Angus' Weiss guy - refreshing as ****, very lively but absolutely spot on for a hefe/wheat style.

TBH if you told me it was a cider I wouldn't question it with the level of acidity, crisp and dry :)

seehuusen said:
Luggy's Hoppy Saison
A bit of haze, lots of classic saison flavours from that French saison yeast? Dry beer with a fair carbonation.

I really enjoyed it mate.
The only critique I've got is the name suggested hoppyness, and I didn't think it delivered that much in terms of hop aroma.

Liam's bretted saison, top drop mate. That level of Brett was perfect for my liking. I'll be spinning up the remaining third of the swap beer to harvest some funky yeast for a brew in a month or two ;)

Thanks for the drink :D

Cheers,
Martin
Pretty much summed up my thoughts on that beer seehuusen, I hopped it like I would a pale ale and gave it a generous dry hop but that yeast just wont play along and let the hops through. If I made it again id up the hops to an ipa level. Cheers for the feedback

6. Lukiferj - A Gose in The Northern Sky

Yep, it's a beer alright. First experience of the style, really enjoyed this 'un. Crisp, dry. Very easy to sup on, would have loved to have had this on a stinkin' hot, 36C Brissie arvo after mowing the yard.

:beerbang:

19. Antiphile - Jonah Lomu American style IPA (Labelled #19; Bottled 6 Nov 15; ABV 7.4%-ish. OK to drink now)

Great beer man. Not overly hopped but it's very balanced. Really enjoying

21. Seehuusen pale ale with smoked pineapple. Very nice mate the pineapple is right there in aroma and taste. Just a subtle hint of smoke. This beer has given me some ideas ☺

Ben's smoked pumpkin ale. Good smoke and pumpkin flavours. Good one mate.

med_gallery_7015_1307_174976.jpg

7. luggy: hoppy saison, vic secret & citra and dry hopped with Amarillo. Bottled on 3/12/15, give it a few weeks

I'm getting a bit of Brett funk but it kinda works, it probably just lends away from my personal preference in a saison.

Still interesting and pleasant to drink.

:drinks:

Latest posts

Back