Nsw Xmas In July Case 2008 - Tasting Notes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stuster - Belgian Tripel
Decent pour with a medium tight head that is dissipating quickly.
Lovely opaque straw colour.
Hint of Belgianiss on the aroma.
POW on the first sip.
Deep complex flavours of spice and fruit.
Borders on cloying, but backed by the complexity.
I anything I'd recommend a dryer finish and maybe a little less complexity.
Still very enjoyable.

Doc

Ahhhh thats the one beer i have left to try :)

Kabooby - Xaviers Bock

Medium bready head.
Deep deep brown/black
Chocolate aroma
Great balance on the body.
Some alcohol notes mid tongue.
Can't fault anything off the bat.
Enjoyable beer.

Doc

Good review there, Doc. I think you're right about the dryness, even though it finished at 1010 from 1086. No spices were harmed in the making of this beer though and it was a pretty straight forward recipe. I think mainly it's just that yeast (3787) and the complexity it adds. Next time I think I'd just brew it at a slightly warmer time of year so it finishes off completely.

Jez - Belgian Golden Strong Ale

Strong pour, nice tight head.
Super clarity. Straw colour.
Sweet aromatics. Hints of fruit.
Heavy body with complexity and sweetness.
Belgian notes with some alcohol and complex fruit characters.
Not a session beer.
Maybe a lower FG for a little more balance.
Still very drinkable.

Doc

Jez - Belgian Golden Strong Ale

Strong pour, nice tight head.
Super clarity. Straw colour.
Sweet aromatics. Hints of fruit.
Heavy body with complexity and sweetness.
Belgian notes with some alcohol and complex fruit characters.
Not a session beer.
Maybe a lower FG for a little more balance.
Still very drinkable.

Doc

Thanks for the review. The feedback we got on our tripels from the NSW comp were variable to say the least. I personally think the beer is dominated by the spicy phenolic character and lacks esters and malt aroma. I think the final gravity on that one was about 1.014, so it could perhaps do with a little more attenuation.

Thanks for the review. The feedback we got on our tripels from the NSW comp were variable to say the least. I personally think the beer is dominated by the spicy phenolic character and lacks esters and malt aroma. I think the final gravity on that one was about 1.014, so it could perhaps do with a little more attenuation.

Found the last of my case swap beers tucked away and thought .. drink'em son. # 23 first off the block. Without knowing what it was, opened. Loved the fruity smell thought immediately an APA. First taste, no, not an APA. Keep drinking ....Nooooiiicccceee ! Alcohol type flavours start to kick in. I say Belgium ? Look up this site, find its your Belgium strong. Read Doc's notes and agree (shyte ,, he knows far more than me).

Final thoughts. I like it. Session beer ? ... if I have this in a keg it'd be a session beer. I'd be pissed a lot (actually am anyway) but nice brew brother, very very worthy entry in the swap. Look forward to any other beer of yours I get to taste.

Found the last of my case swap beers tucked away and thought .. drink'em son. # 23 first off the block. Without knowing what it was, opened. Loved the fruity smell thought immediately an APA. First taste, no, not an APA. Keep drinking ....Nooooiiicccceee ! Alcohol type flavours start to kick in. I say Belgium ? Look up this site, find its your Belgium strong. Read Doc's notes and agree (shyte ,, he knows far more than me).

Final thoughts. I like it. Session beer ? ... if I have this in a keg it'd be a session beer. I'd be pissed a lot (actually am anyway) but nice brew brother, very very worthy entry in the swap. Look forward to any other beer of yours I get to taste.

Thanks Godzilla (and thanks Doc for the earlier comprehensive review).

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out but would probably like it to finish a bit lower next time.

and no, its not really a sesion beer :D

Jez

Final thoughts. I like it. Session beer ? ... if I have this in a keg it'd be a session beer.
Here I am thinking you weren't much of a Belgian ale drinker FGZ?

And now you're calling an 8% Belgian Strong a session beer! :p

Latest posts

Back