Nsw Xmas In July Case 2008 - Tasting Notes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stuster

Big mash up
Reaction score
This is the thread to post your notes on how these beers turned out for you. Make them as fancy or as simple as you like, but getting some feedback on how they taste to others is all part of the whole case I think. It gets easier once you've done a few as well and helps you pay attention to what you're drinking as well. Which has got to be good. :) Even negative feedback can be helpful as well, but it's best if we keep it constructive.

It's also a good idea to have a look at the wiki/articles as well to make sure which beers shouldn't be drunk for a bit. I've pasted the current info below but there might be more up-to-date info there now.

1. Stuster - Belgian Tripel, Wyeast 3787, bottled 7/6, 9.8%, needs some time
2. Tony - ESB, Wyeast 1469 TTL yeast... about 6.5% abv..... not sure
3. nifty - stout (maybe)
4. -
5. Crozdog - American Brown
6. Kabooby - Xaviers Bock
7. Fatgodzilla - "More Than A Half Wit" 60/40 wheat / pale malt with Danstar dry wheat yeast. Drink now, especially as the first beer in a session. My only taster was a good, easy drinking brew.
8. Muggus - French Oak Porter (Bottled 9th June '08, 7.1%. Needs at least a month of warm bottle conditioning)
9. floppinab - Nthn English brown, WLP004, bottled 12th June filtered out of necessity, needs 4-6 weeks in the bottle)
10. Insight - Terrapin Rye Pale Ale clone, WLP051, 5.4%, bottled 08/06.
11. redbeard - belgian dubbel'ish - ready to drink. unfortunately I tasted a little too much & 3 lucky peeps will get an altbier instead. has a red sticker on neck with alt written on it. Others just have 11 on the cap.
12. Gulpa - English Bitter with wlp023 - Ready to drink.
13. SAH
14. -
15. -
16. Schooey
17. Pint of Lager
18. Thirstywench
19. Josh - Brown Ale US-05 - ready to drink
20. Cortez The Killer - Almost Dark Ale - Recipe #37 - http://hyperfox.info/allgrain01.htm
21. Jon W - NZPA.
22. DK - American Amber Ale - All Amarillo Hops - WLP001 - Bottled 03/05/2008 - 5.2% Alc/Vol - Carbed to 2.0 Vol (low, how I like it) - Drink NOW!
23. Jez - Belgian Golden Strong Ale, at least 4 weeks
24. James - American Toasted Oat Porter, at least 4 weeks
25. Loftboy - Blue Mountain Lager with dry-hopped Hallertau. 4.8% ABV. Bottled 23/03/08. Ready to drink.
26. Doc - Schwarzbier - Drink up. Drink it now while it is still fresh. 5.2%
27. Monkeybusiness - Oatmeal stout - Bottled 25-6-08 so keep it warm for a couple of weeks before fridging.
28. Linz - Over dunked Dunkelweizen(1st attempt)- Its got to be wlp 300

This is the thread to post your notes on how these beers turned out for you. Make them as fancy or as simple as you like, but getting some feedback on how they taste to others is all part of the whole case I think. It gets easier once you've done a few as well and helps you pay attention to what you're drinking as well. Which has got to be good. :) Even negative feedback can be helpful as well, but it's best if we keep it constructive.

It's also a good idea to have a look at the wiki/articles as well to make sure which beers shouldn't be drunk for a bit. I've pasted the current info below but there might be more up-to-date info there now.

3. nifty - stout (maybe)
4. -
7. Fatgodzilla - "More Than A Half Wit" 60/40 wheat / pale malt with Danstar dry wheat yeast. Drink now, especially as the first beer in a session. My only taster was a good, easy drinking brew.
8. Muggus - French Oak Porter (Bottled 9th June '08, 7.1%. Needs at least a month of warm bottle conditioning)
9. floppinab - Nthn English brown, WLP004, bottled 12th June filtered out of necessity, needs 4-6 weeks in the bottle)
11. redbeard - belgian dubbel'ish - ready to drink. unfortunately I tasted a little too much & 3 lucky peeps will get an altbier instead. has a red sticker on neck with alt written on it. Others just have 11 on the cap.
13. SAH
14. -
15. -
16. Schooey - English Mild - You can drink now, but a week in the fridgewould do it good. It's overcarbed for style :(
17. Pint of Lager
18. Thirstywench
20. Cortez The Killer - Almost Dark Ale - Recipe #37 - http://hyperfox.info/allgrain01.htm
21. Jon W - NZPA.
22. DK - American Amber Ale - All Amarillo Hops - WLP001 - Bottled 03/05/2008 - 5.2% Alc/Vol - Carbed to 2.0 Vol (low, how I like it) - Drink NOW!
25. Loftboy - Blue Mountain Lager with dry-hopped Hallertau. 4.8% ABV. Bottled 23/03/08. Ready to drink.
27. Monkeybusiness - Oatmeal stout - Bottled 25-6-08 so keep it warm for a couple of weeks before fridging.

Big thanks to Tony for running the HAG entries down, would have loved to have come but I'm due on a plane for Darwin soonish *runs out door*

3. nifty - stout (maybe)
4. -
13. SAH - Helles Bock (marked SAH) + 3 bottles Bitter (marked SAHB) - Both ready to drink.
14. -
15. -
16. Schooey - English Mild - You can drink now, but a week in the fridgewould do it good. It's overcarbed for style sad.gif
17. Pint of Lager
18. Thirstywench
21. Jon W - NZPA.

3. nifty - stout (maybe)
4. -
13. SAH - Helles Bock (marked SAH) + 3 bottles Bitter (marked SAHB) - Both ready to drink.
14. -
15. -
16. Schooey - English Mild - You can drink now, but a week in the fridgewould do it good. It's overcarbed for style sad.gif
17. Pint of Lager - Munich Lager - Yeast 34/70 - ready to drink now
18. Thirstywench
21. Jon W - NZPA.

Had an interesting trip back.

Being the first time ive been on any of those motorways.......... i didnt knowwhere to get on or off, so i took my wifes GPS.

On the way back it kept telling me to get off the motorway......... every exit. bit didnt tell me to get off the one i needed to. So i ended up heading for the city. I copped extra tolls and say an exit. I thought F$#k it, and got off. Any longer on there and i was going to hit the coast. Ther ******* GPS "re calculated" the route and sent me heading in the oposite direction to home. It was ringing me back onto the mororway, back out west to go the way i came. I wanted to go the newcastle.

Turned out i was on Lane Cove Rd, and recognised a motel i stayed in while doing some work in sydney 6 months ago. I turned the GPS off and followed my instincts. Ended up on the pacific highway and it was all the way home from there.

Was great to meed lots of computer names and put faces to them.

Had a great afternoon.

Opened one of my Maibocks (that i have made for the mash paddel and HAG swap) and it was sour which was imbaresing. Hence have had to pull out of the hag swap.

Ive drank so much shit infected beer in the last 12 months i think im starting to think its normal so if the ESB is shit, just tip it and tell me it was infected. I really dont know any more.

3mm from giving up completly.

looking forward to trying everyones beers and thanks to Josh for the use of his place. :super:

cheers

Don't give up, Tony. Personally I really enjoyed your porter and stout. POR rules! :icon_cheers:

Ther ******* GPS "re calculated" the route and sent me heading in the oposite direction to home. It was ringing me back onto the mororway, back out west to go the way i came. I wanted to go the newcastle.

You do need to tell it you are heading back home Tony and to the same place from which you came :rolleyes: !!!!

Sounds like a good day lads, brickbats to those who dropped out :(

Looking forward to some tasty treats

6. Kabooby - Xaviers Bock (WLP833) 7%. Lagered for a month and bottled on 10/05. Drinking nice from the keg ATM but these beers do get better with time.

Added some info to the wiki/articles

Shame about the dropouts, maybe we need to hold a summit to address some of these issues ;)

Looking forward to the beers

Kabooby :icon_cheers:

You do need to tell it you are heading back home Tony and to the same place from which you came :rolleyes: !!!!

Sounds like a good day lads, brickbats to those who dropped out :(

Looking forward to some tasty treats

:rolleyes: I did!

Rotton thing wanted me to go through suberbia instead of the motor way to save on a few dollars in tolls.

now......... what beer do i but in the fridge for tonight? :)

cheers

I think the refference was to those who we thought were bringing beers but just didnt bother.

Not you mate :)

cheers

Ah well. I still feel bad about it, so I got a bit defensive. Will be watching this thread with interest to see what I missed out on.

Cant believe Im the only one to crack a bottle last night. Whats wrong with you people. :icon_cheers:

13. SAH - Helles Bock (marked SAH)
Nice light gold colour. Very clear. Nice malty flavours with a slight sweetness to it. Great start to the case. Thanks SAH. I hope my Maibock currently fermenting is as good as this one.

Regards
Andrew.

13. SAH - Helles Bock (marked SAH)
Nice light gold colour. Very clear. Nice malty flavours with a slight sweetness to it. Great start to the case. Thanks SAH. I hope my Maibock currently fermenting is as good as this one.

Hi Andrew, how was the carbonation?

Scott

Well, I could have left my infected batch in there and scored a case full of everyone else's beers. I think it's better this way.

Yep, no issues with you dropping out, PoMo, absolutely the only thing to do if your batch is beyond saving. But there were two complete no-shows. :( :angry:

What happened lads??

Im putting a number 7 and 17 in the fridge to sample tinight.

looking forward to them.

cheers

3. nifty - stout (maybe)
4. -
14. -
15. -
17. Pint of Lager
18. Thirstywench
21. Jon W - NZPA.
28. Linz - Over dunked Dunkelweizen(1st attempt)- Its got to be wlp 300 ..Give it 2-4 weeks to carb up

A random pick and it happens to be my courier. FG thanks very much for making the trip from Tuross Heads!!

Subtle esters. Dry, maybe a little tart. Pale golden, clear. Low to moderate carbonation. A pleasant drinker.

Cheers,
Scott

Latest posts

Back