2013 W.A. Xmas Case Swap Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jyo

No Chillin' Like a Villain.
Reaction score
Ok, we'll keep it simple. No need to quote a full list.

I'll start-

Dent- "Blame jyo Lager"

I joked about an Emu Export clone and he fecking did it! This is actually a pretty clean, tasty lager! It has a nice, sweet underlying malt backbone. Great on a hot night, mate. Cheers.

jyo said:
Ok, we'll keep it simple. No need to quote a full list.

I'll start-

Dent- "Blame jyo Lager"

I joked about an Emu Export clone and he fecking did it! This is actually a pretty clean, tasty lager! It has a nice, sweet underlying malt backbone. Great on a hot night, mate. Cheers.
Now for starters you have a confliction there. "Emu export" and "great"!

Just sucking down OB1's citra amber ale. Liking those hops! Nice drop dude!

danestead said:
Now for starters you have a confliction there. "Emu export" and "great"!
Haha. Don't knock the bird!

Remember, mine was CPBF so, get stuck into it. (Pink flower stickers on lids).

jyo said:
Haha. Don't knock the bird!

Remember, mine was CPBF so, get stuck into it. (Pink flower stickers on lids).
Just knocked off your ESB tonight. After brewing 2 batches of the landlord and being super unimpressed (personal taste didnt like that style) I loved your beer. Having said that, im a hop head and was loving the styrians!

Im also halfway through 1 of the unlabeled yellow cap beer. Aussie pale ale apparently. Also really nice. Im getting a lot of honey. Anyone else getting that?

On 2nd thoughts, is that yellow cap unlabeled beer needing more conditioning time? That mite be why im getting honey although it was super carbed?

I got stuck into some on Sunday. I liked the ESB, one of my favourite styles and thought it was quite hoppy, never had styrians before, I thought it was great.

Also had one with a GA on the cap and one with what looked like an "L" on a white cap? I think these were pale or golden ales? Trouble is when I got to these ones I had already had few beers and didn't know we were taking tasting notes! All I do know is these were good beers so the bar is set high for the others.

Smurray Porter next

Smurray Porter last night. Was good drinking! Moreish, well balanced. A slight (and I mean very slight) rubber taste, yet didn't detract from the beer. Good work.

JYO Blue Fairy Special Edition: I don't know what style.

Clear and bright red, plenty of bubbles but not much head. Well balanced, easy drinking ale. Quite hoppy in a gentle way. A great beer to drink in quantity, thanks.

Jyo's ESB
Colour good
Carbonation was high but leave it settle and all good
Not too much crystal good
Was more hops than I'm used to for esb but still good
Aroma tasty
Mouthfeel good once it warms up.
Overall 39/50

Basically it caned the piss outta my esb
Good job mate

Saint James English Pale - Pours hazy, orange-amber, no head. Some english malt on the nose, no hops to speak of. Ferment is clean enough but hints a little of bottle conditioned beer that is still a little green. Still not bad. I think this one would benefit from some more time - If it was meant to store for longer before drinking, my apologies.

Hazy definately - West Yorkshire yeast
Base malt is wa home grown thanks to Ecu
I bottled this about two weeks ago but perhaps everyone else might want to leave til after Xmas

Thanks for the honest feedback, it's the best way to improve

Spoonta Yellow Top Ale: Super carbonated, almost a gusher. The head is sneaking out of the half full bottle. Hazy with floaters. No hop aroma or flavour to speak of. Quite dry, bitterness a bit high for this much attenuation. Not much malt character. Perhaps a bit strong alcohol wise after fermenting this far too. Ferment seems OK, the yeast character is the main aroma in the glass. Bottles might have gotten too warm during conditioning.

This would make a good lawnmower beer with a bit less OG and bitterness.

This was with the new rig, yeah? You might have to adjust your expected mash temperature, I suspect you were intending it to be higher.

RAD1 - "GA": Pours hazy, colour pale to orange. Not much head. An agreeable combination of malt and hops in the aroma, not something I can pick in terms of variety though. Well balanced, almost sweet malt at the start but finishes clean and hoppy, the bitterness lingers a fair bit though. Quaffable beer. Thanks.

Mitch76 - ESB: Pours almost clear, with a little haze. Low carbonation. No head to speak of. English malt and hops on the nose, if I am not rather mistaken. Bitterness a little high maybe. Good ferment. Could be smoother overall, a bit of astringency in the finish. I think this would be a great beer with some more time to mellow out.

I think this is another from RAD1 - "AA": Pours quite hazy, red tinged with minimal head. An interesting sort of nutty character is a good feature of this beer. A good ferment. It tastes quite appealing at the start but lingering bitterness(american hops for bittering?) or perhaps high mineral content(?) lets the beer down somewhat on the finish, which really hurts the drinkability. Unfortunately this detracts from what could have been an awesome beer.

Spoonta Aussie Ale-

Honey on the nose and flavour. Mine tried to climb out of the bottle, too! It drank pretty well, but some funky esters I couldn't put my finger on.

Cheers.

Stormahead ESB

Drank this at the end of a big session last night. Mine was nice and clear, clean malt and hops, classic Pommy yeast esters. I really enjoyed this. Agreed, with dent, maybe another couple of weeks in the bottle. Cheers.

Obeerwan's Amber Ale (AA written on the lid of a scew top glass bottle)

Very lightly carbed, pours a cloudy red. Nice subtle hops and sweet malt on the nose. This drinks really well. I love American Ambers (I brew the West Coast Style so a lot hoppier than this) and this is a nice beer. I can pick the mineral comment from Dent, but still very enjoyable.

Cheers.

edit- after warming it cleared substantially, which points to chill haze. Are you testing PH in the mash?

jyo said:
Obeerwan's Amber Ale (AA written on the lid of a scew top glass bottle)

Very lightly carbed, pours a cloudy red. Nice subtle hops and sweet malt on the nose. This drinks really well. I love American Ambers (I brew the West Coast Style so a lot hoppier than this) and this is a nice beer. I can pick the mineral comment from Dent, but still very enjoyable.

Cheers.

edit- after warming it cleared substantially, which points to chill haze. Are you testing PH in the mash?
Thanks for the honest comments JYO & dent.
I used Target for the bittering, not to style but what I had on hand. Maybe over done it with the hops.

I have just started to look at my water and PH and possible adjustments. I didnt check this one though.
Probably not the hread to discuss but any pointers and advice would be greatly received.

Thanks

Smurray Porter
Smooth and easy drinking. Could have drunk more. I thought it was quite roasty for a porter more like a stout.
Very nice beer. Thanks

Spoonta Yellow Top Ale
Had trouble poring this in the glass because of the huge head. First impression was a bit harsh but after the carbonation dropped I thought it turned out to be a pretty good beer. Had an aroma I couldn't put my finger maybe an English hop?

dent - Blame JYO Lager
Poured clear with a nice lasting head. Very clean and malty sweet.
This one I skulled straight after work on an empty stomach, and at 6% I new I had it. Nice beer. If only I could brew a lager like this

Latest posts

Back