2013 Melb Xmas Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn said:
My bottles are longnecks with either #24 LCPA or there was a few #23 SNAPA5 stickers on the red caps. IDZY hasn't got them. No hard feelings I just a bit disappointed I wasn't getting to taste all the swappers beers.
Anyhow not to worry Yob just complemented the short fall when I picked up a Pilney dry hop kit from him.

I'm spuing I didn't leave another cube for the 2nd runnings.

Damn.
Hey mate remind me in Xmas case swap July and I will bring a few extra brews for you.. :)

What's the Pliny going to taste like fermenting at 23c?............................... SIGH! WTB FERM FRIDGE! It's on ice as we speak, but probably stuffed. So shattered.

Grainer said:
6. Idzy - Galaxy PA

Nice aroma, hazy either cloudy or chill haze from proteins in suspension, quite bitter, nice mouthfeel although, citrus characteristics; passionfruit/orange.. Overall an OK beer..
This feedback is appreciated Grainer. I think maybe some cold conditioning, bit of extra time in the bottle and some calcium sulfate like we used on Saturday could maybe smooth out the bitterness.

idzy said:
What's the Pliny going to taste like fermenting at 23c?............................... SIGH! WTB FERM FRIDGE! It's on ice as we speak, but probably stuffed. So shattered.

This feedback is appreciated Grainer. I think maybe some cold conditioning, bit of extra time in the bottle and some calcium sulfate like we used on Saturday could maybe smooth out the bitterness.
DOH.. see if anyone can ferment for you.. my fridges are full sorry.. someone offered earlier for me .. check the posts earlier in the thread..

Sadly the same. Fermented 3 days at 20*c, but got home yesterday to it still bubbling merrily away at 24*C while sitting in the bath!! Cringe. God damn!! I had hoped the majority of the fermentation would be done by day 4. I've used Wyeast American ale 2, so hopefully the esters produced still fit into the acceptable spectrum. In hindsight, maybe I should've risked the sterility of my cubes & left it until the new year. Sigh.
Gotta start lobbying for a ferm fridge, I think.

I'm still on track.. ferm fridge operating perfectly

I have two thousand litre fridges with temp control if you are desperate. Only got forty litres of Kolsch in one that is ready to keg. But alas I live a fair way from Ferntree Gully. Any gully for that matter. Deer park to be precise.

Earliest couple of days is the most crucial and with such a dose of hops in there, you might be OK, ye of no fermentation chambers.

Phew!!

Actually, will a D-rest of sorts (proper one, not what happened to me) or some additional general fermenter conditioning help clean up any less-desirable esters & alcohols?

Not really as far as I know. Extended conditioning can help integrate the alcohol hit from stronger beers somewhat but not really fusels in my experience.

1. RelaxedBrewer- Amarillo Wheat (American Wheat) Labelled "AW" with yellow sticker. Drinkable now

Nice well kept head, cloudy..maybe too many protiens in suspension.....nice wheat summer drink....citrus from Amarillo was good....light bitterness..

6. Idzy - Galaxy PA. Easy drinking Pacific Ale. Needs another 4 weeks aging. Bloody tasty though.

26. (Yobs) This is very similar to G&G fresh wort Artisan Ale Type I. Closest commercial is a Coopers Pale ale but superior. Very good aussie pale ale imo.

Ha or Hm(Yobs) American Brown. Coming around to browns and this brings me a little closer. Still getting used to the brown. But chisel away at these all day.

31. (Yobs) This is like a cross between an Aussie & American Pale Ale. Love it. This is very good. On another taste its more aussie than yank. This my favorite so far.

Got some in the fridge myself, will report back later. Pliny is sitting comfortably on 18.3c now, yay. Ferm fridge is doing a fine job.

Two questions from the junior.

1) Racking Pliny as per recipe, I am assuming most people are doing this? I haven't done secondary before, how many people do this?

2) After racking to secondary, I will have a cake from the Elder. What are people's thoughts on using this cake as the base for the Younger?

Cheers,
Idzy

I am not going to bother racking to a secondary.
Don't use the whole cake for the younger, that would massively over pitching.

I did end up adding some malt extract to bump it back up to closer to the recipe OG.

I am away for a couple of weeks now so will not be tasting any of the beers yet. I will update you guys after I get back.

I just moved 50kgs of spent grain from the case swap and nearly threw up! The smell is still lingering. I know you guys warned me, but I had no idea it would be that bad! It has been festering in the carport and got unbearable, so I needed to move it to the garden bed.

Mate, just get rid of it any way you can & ASAP (bag it up & put it in neighbour's bins if you can). Unless you've got plants that just LOOOVE acid, it's just going to be an ongoing problem (plus it'll stink-out the neighbourhood anyway now).

Traps for new players, I guess........

In future, douse your spent grains in cold water. That will bring the temperature down quickly & stop the bacterial activity that produced that ******* awful smell.

Also bring on the mouse plague from the grains in the garden

Back