Yeasts You Really Don't Like

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S-04. Not keen. Ive used it some in mine and tasted others brews who have used it. Just not keen.

cheers
Andrew.

S-04 has been very forgiving for me, tidying things up after my fumblings and general clumsiness, lets the alpha's through, smooths the malts - what's your beef?

From what I've read this is a pretty popular yeast around here. What is it that you and others don't like about it?

I don't really wish to get into a debate with the fans of this yeast so I will just say the beers I have had with it could have possibly been better and had more of a 'grin' factor with a different yeast.
Although many haven't found it to be the case I have found it to be a little messy and needs extra time then most to mop up after itself (you won't proberbly notice this if your bottle conditioning) and even then the final result isn't as good as some other yeasts.

Yeah it can make a good beer for some but I don't consider it to be that good of a yeast compared to many others, as far as popularity goes so is britney spears, macdonalds and home and away but thats no measure of quality. :lol: :blink:

Windsor certainly had me underwhelmed - Rather objectionable esters compared to the same beer made with WY1187 Ringwood and WY1318 London III.
WYeast Ringwood, West Yorkshire and London III are all excellent.

Also didn't rate WY1332 Northwest Ale. Tried it in several "American Ale" styles, and always found it to give a peculiar twang in the finish that didn't sit well with the American hoppyness.

S-04 has been very forgiving for me, tidying things up after my fumblings and general clumsiness, lets the alpha's through, smooths the malts - what's your beef?

Hard to quantify. Ive no doubt some make excellent beers from this yeast. I guess Ive just never made a wow type beer with S-04. I always get a bit of twang. Dont imagine ever using it again.

cheers
Andrew.

I've made an ordinary bitter, an IPA and am currently fermenting a mild with 1335 British Ale II - and there is something about this yeast I don't like

I'd made the ordinary bitter before - almost the same grain bill / hopping schedule - but with 1028 and it was fab! There's an aroma and taste to 1335 that's just not right

I was gonna use it in a stout and porter that I've got planned - but after a session on the IPA last night I decided to smack a pack of Irish Ale 1084 and dump the mild cake

Any one had much experience with 1335 British Ale II that's not liked it? Can't find too much info on it on the forum and that that I can find suggests that it's a pretty good English strain

Cheers

S-04. Not keen. Ive used it some in mine and tasted others brews who have used it. Just not keen.

I've brewed tasty brews with S-04 and like it. Not just because it is a vigorously fermenting yeast.

As for Wyeast, I don't like it at all. Not that it isn't a high-quality yeast, it did a good job for me, once it was ready. I don't like the pack telling me when it's time to brew, and you don't really know when it's going to be ready. I did that once and will never use it again. My choice for liquid yeast is their main competitor (at least in the US), White Labs. But when I can and when it's appropriate, I use a dried yeast.

Donald

As for Wyeast, I don't like it at all. Not that it isn't a high-quality yeast, it did a good job for me, once it was ready. I don't like the pack telling me when it's time to brew, and you don't really know when it's going to be ready. I did that once and will never use it again. My choice for liquid yeast is their main competitor (at least in the US), White Labs. But when I can and when it's appropriate, I use a dried yeast.

Donald

Very strange comment... - The yeast nutrient pack in the Wyeast pack is there if you want to check the viabillity of the yeast & get the yeast firing under guaranteed sanitary conditions (great for old packs), but there's no need to use it - Just leave the pouch intact or burst for the nutrients, then use exactly the same as you would a Whitelabs vial.

Cheers Ross

I've made an ordinary bitter, an IPA and am currently fermenting a mild with 1335 British Ale II - and there is something about this yeast I don't like

I'd made the ordinary bitter before - almost the same grain bill / hopping schedule - but with 1028 and it was fab! There's an aroma and taste to 1335 that's just not right

I was gonna use it in a stout and porter that I've got planned - but after a session on the IPA last night I decided to smack a pack of Irish Ale 1084 and dump the mild cake

Any one had much experience with 1335 British Ale II that's not liked it? Can't find too much info on it on the forum and that that I can find suggests that it's a pretty good English strain

Cheers

I used it a few times and found it to be neutral almost to the extreme.
The wyeast blurb suggests it has a malt emphasis which I just haven't found, its definitely very dry and crisp similar to US O5 which is why I wouldn't use it again, not that it makes bad beer it just leaves me wondering "where's the flavour?' - Not something I'm after in a beer.

I'd definitely go with the 1084 on the stout.

Cheers,
BB

I've brewed tasty brews with S-04 and like it. Not just because it is a vigorously fermenting yeast.

Donald

Agree with Ross's comments, but would also add that if you split a Wyeast pack and make starters and for whatever reason your not ready to brew simply put it in the fridge then take it out brew day. I always prepare a yeast at least 5-6 days before brew day, even if I'm not certain which day exactly I will be brewing its ready in the fridge when I am.

BB

Agree with Ross's comments, but would also add that if you split a Wyeast pack and make starters and for whatever reason your not ready to brew simply put it in the fridge then take it out brew day. I always prepare a yeast at least 5-6 days before brew day, even if I'm not certain which day exactly I will be brewing its ready in the fridge when I am.

BB

I've only ever had 2 smack packs that actually smacked properly, the first 1469 and my current Ringwood. Either the pack has arrived puffed and can't find the widget or after giving it a good smack nothing has happened so I've had to pitch the yeast as is and stab the tough as an old boot widget and drain the nutrient into the brew as well. Bit of a W&nk and would prefer White Labs if available from my usual sponsor. The yeasts themselves have been great however, particularly 1768 in a malt driven bitter with a perfect hint of diacetyl and a smoooooooth finish.

Very strange comment... - The yeast nutrient pack in the Wyeast pack is there if you want to check the viabillity of the yeast & get the yeast firing under guaranteed sanitary conditions (great for old packs), but there's no need to use it - Just leave the pouch intact or burst for the nutrients, then use exactly the same as you would a Whitelabs vial.

Never thought of that!

The cost is only slightly higher or the same for Wyeast, but I never checked the price difference before. I figured that it needed the boost of the smack pack for cell count and would have less cells than the White Labs yeast since it was advertised as "direct pitchable) yeast and the Wyeast wasn't. It probably is just the way it's marketed if the cell count is about the same. I do like the compactness of the WL stuff in the refrigerator, though.

Apparently somoene here had a mishap with a Wyeast pack, though, with it splitting open on him.

I'll probably stick with WL yeast, but if Wyeast is all that I can find in a hurry, I'll try what you mentioned.

Donald

wes20big.jpg

Rubbish...

Cheers Ross

Is that right? Is there the same number of yeast cells in an un-smacked wyeast pack than there is in a WLP vial? Both are pitchable packs, but it was my understanding that in order for the wyeast to be "pitchable" (ie enough cell numbers) it had to be smacked. I didn't think it was solely to confirm viability.

Might also mention that I have been using WLP for years and have never once had an issue with viability. Repackaged dry yeasts on the other hand... :ph34r:

3068 makes me fart.

If you don't get that classic banana/clove interplay in the aroma, try altering the amount of bread you eat and/or try sleeping in a cool place while fermentation takes place.

:p

Is that right? Is there the same number of yeast cells in an un-smacked wyeast pack than there is in a WLP vial? Both are pitchable packs, but it was my understanding that in order for the wyeast to be "pitchable" (ie enough cell numbers) it had to be smacked. I didn't think it was solely to confirm viability.

Yes it is right - To save you looking it up, details below :) - Whitelabs vials according to their site have from 75 Billion cells, Wyeast have minimum 100 Billion.

Wyeast product information
Activator Product Information and Usage
Activator packages are designed for direct inoculation of 5 gallons of standard* wort. Activator packages contain live yeast cells in a liquid slurry. This yeast slurry is packaged in an optimum condition for storage, while maintaining the ability for rapid and complete fermentation.

Activator packages include a sterile liquid nutrient pouch that, when smacked, releases its contents into the yeast slurry and activates the package. The available nutrients initiate the cultures metabolism which in turn generates CO2 and causes swelling of the package. This process will reduce lag times by preparing the yeast for a healthy fermentation prior to inoculation. Activation also serves as a viability test of the culture. Expansion of the package is an indicator of healthy (viable and vital) yeast. Although beneficial, cultures do not need to be activated prior to inoculation.

Usage

The Activator package contains a minimum of 100 billion cells in a yeast slurry.. The Activator is designed to directly inoculate 5 gallons of standard strength ale wort (1.034-1.060 SG) with professional pitching rates. For lagers, we recommend inoculating the wort at warm temperatures (68-70F/ 20-21C), waiting for signs of fermentation, and then adjusting to the desired temperature. Alternatively, for pitching into cold conditions (34-58F/ 1-14C) or higher gravity wort, we recommend increasing this pitching rate. This can be achieved by pitching additional Activator packages or by making a starter culture. Please see the Pitch Rate section for additional information.

cheers Ross

Back