Yeasts You Really Don't Like

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes it is right - To save you looking it up, details below :) - Whitelabs vials according to their site have from 75 Billion cells, Wyeast have minimum 100 Billion.

Wyeast product information
Activator Product Information and Usage
Activator packages are designed for direct inoculation of 5 gallons of standard* wort. Activator packages contain live yeast cells in a liquid slurry. This yeast slurry is packaged in an optimum condition for storage, while maintaining the ability for rapid and complete fermentation.

Activator packages include a sterile liquid nutrient pouch that, when "smacked", releases its contents into the yeast slurry and "activates" the package. The available nutrients initiate the culture's metabolism which in turn generates CO2 and causes swelling of the package. This process will reduce lag times by preparing the yeast for a healthy fermentation prior to inoculation. Activation also serves as a viability test of the culture. Expansion of the package is an indicator of healthy (viable and vital) yeast. Although beneficial, cultures do not need to be activated prior to inoculation.

Usage

The Activator package contains a minimum of 100 billion cells in a yeast slurry.. The Activator is designed to directly inoculate 5 gallons of standard strength ale wort (1.034-1.060 SG) with professional pitching rates. For lagers, we recommend inoculating the wort at warm temperatures (68-70F/ 20-21C), waiting for signs of fermentation, and then adjusting to the desired temperature. Alternatively, for pitching into cold conditions (34-58F/ 1-14C) or higher gravity wort, we recommend increasing this pitching rate. This can be achieved by pitching additional Activator packages or by making a starter culture. Please see the Pitch Rate section for additional information.

cheers Ross

Hey Ross, any reason you dont get the propogator packs in? I personally would get them every time to save cash as I generally build up a starter wether I get a propogator or activator...

Yes it is right - To save you looking it up, details below :) - Whitelabs vials according to their site have from 75 Billion cells, Wyeast have minimum 100 Billion.

Wyeast product information
Activator Product Information and Usage
Activator packages are designed for direct inoculation of 5 gallons of standard* wort. Activator packages contain live yeast cells in a liquid slurry. This yeast slurry is packaged in an optimum condition for storage, while maintaining the ability for rapid and complete fermentation.

Activator packages include a sterile liquid nutrient pouch that, when smacked, releases its contents into the yeast slurry and activates the package. The available nutrients initiate the cultures metabolism which in turn generates CO2 and causes swelling of the package. This process will reduce lag times by preparing the yeast for a healthy fermentation prior to inoculation. Activation also serves as a viability test of the culture. Expansion of the package is an indicator of healthy (viable and vital) yeast. Although beneficial, cultures do not need to be activated prior to inoculation.

Usage

The Activator package contains a minimum of 100 billion cells in a yeast slurry.. The Activator is designed to directly inoculate 5 gallons of standard strength ale wort (1.034-1.060 SG) with professional pitching rates. For lagers, we recommend inoculating the wort at warm temperatures (68-70F/ 20-21C), waiting for signs of fermentation, and then adjusting to the desired temperature. Alternatively, for pitching into cold conditions (34-58F/ 1-14C) or higher gravity wort, we recommend increasing this pitching rate. This can be achieved by pitching additional Activator packages or by making a starter culture. Please see the Pitch Rate section for additional information.

cheers Ross

My interpretation of this is that the 100 billion cells is after the pack has been smacked and swelled. So unsmacked it would presumably contain a lot less than a WLP vial.

windsor - only used it once in a stout and it was awful.

I've used the same recipe with 1084 and it was great. There are a lot more yeasts I like than I don't like.

My vote for the big vom goes to Nottingham.

:icon_vomit:

I used it in a subtle blonde ale expecting a cleanish beer... never again.

I think Nottingham comes good after the beer matures.

I get the dusty character in green beer.

The dusty, raspy finish does it for me.

The dusty, raspy finish does it for me.

I`m no good at defining the taste of something apart from what is obvious {to me} but Adams post above might be close. To me, Nottingham has an unpleasant, a little metallic even, twang.
I don`t like it.!

stagga.

My interpretation of this is that the 100 billion cells is after the pack has been smacked and swelled. So unsmacked it would presumably contain a lot less than a WLP vial.

No - It has 100 Billion cells before smacking.

Cheers Ross

Hey Ross, any reason you dont get the propogator packs in? I personally would get them every time to save cash as I generally build up a starter wether I get a propogator or activator...

Their is actually only a small difference between the cost of the 2 different packs, so for the convenience off being able to direct pitch into most brews (Propogators have a quarter of the yeast) they get my vote - I couldn't really justify stocking both.

Cheers Ross

No - It has 100 Billion cells before smacking.

Cheers Ross

How do you get that from the info on their website? If they were going to quote any number they'd be mad not to quote the highest possible one - ie smacked...

Reading that blurb it seems implied that it is talking about an activator pack that is ready for pitching, ie smacked (since they don't recommend pitching it unsmacked).

How do you get that from the info on their website? If they were going to quote any number they'd be mad not to quote the highest possible one - ie smacked...

Reading that blurb it seems implied that it is talking about an activator pack that is ready for pitching, ie smacked (since they don't recommend pitching it unsmacked).

T.D. Read the quotes below... You must be reading a different blurb to me, as no-where does Wyeast indicate you need to smack the pack to get minimum 1 Billion cells. As per the 2nd paragraph, the nutrient packs are there simply for determining viability & getting a faster start to fermentation.

The contents of Activator packages may be direct-pitched without prior activation. Our smack pack technology is intended to be a tool for your use in determining viability, and in initiating metabolism for faster starts to fermentation.

Cheers Ross

Funny because on the occasions I have used Wyeast I haven't noticed any faster start to fermentation than with WLP vials, and that was after smacking them and letting them puff up. That either indicates that the post-smack cell count is similar to WLP (implying that the pre-smack cell count is less) or that the cell count doesn't really matter once you get to these general levels. Either way, I fail to see how Wyeast are superior as you claim.

Funny because on the occasions I have used Wyeast I haven't noticed any faster start to fermentation than with WLP vials, and that was after smacking them and letting them puff up. That either indicates that the post-smack cell count is similar to WLP (implying that the pre-smack cell count is less) or that the cell count doesn't really matter once you get to these general levels. Either way, I fail to see how Wyeast are superior as you claim.

I doubt you would see much quantifiable difference between 2 fresh yeasts of similar counts, especially with all the variables on a homebrew level.
Not sure where I stated Wyeast are superior, certainly not in this thread, I doubt there is any "quality" difference between the 2 products especially if stored correctly. From purely a retailers point of view though, having a product that's UV protected & fairly foolproof for the novice yeast user, with the smack feature that indicates yeast viabillity, it's definately got it's benefits.
Hopefully we'll soon have both available anyway, so everybody should be happy :)

Cheers Ross

I`m no good at defining the taste of something apart from what is obvious {to me} but Adams post above might be close. To me, Nottingham has an unpleasant, a little metallic even, twang.
I don`t like it.!

stagga.

I wonder if it's just that nottingham attenuates pretty incredibly, doesn't leave much residual sugars to hide anything, maybe it's just the residual mineral prodile of the water you are using or something. I think nottingham is an awesome yeast but you've definitely got to pick and choose which style/beers to use it in as it truly is a maltose mowing monster.

Q

T.D. Is that right? Is there the same number of yeast cells in an un-smacked wyeast pack than there is in a WLP vial?

T.D. I pointed out the relevant yeast counts after you asked the question above. The figures were taken off both the Yeast Company's websites. Just because you appear to have not liked the answer, please don't start flaming... Higher cell count does not make a yeast "superior"...

End of :icon_offtopic:

Cheers Ross

Just because you appear to have not liked the answer, please don't start flaming... Higher cell count does not make a yeast "superior"...

:lol: Couldn't care less if the cell counts are a bit different. Its obviously a moot point because there is no appreciable difference in the time it takes for either brand to fire.

Good to see a bit of impartiality from you Ross :)

Back