Yeasts You Really Don't Like

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1007, had one bad experience with it in an attempt to brew a kolsch. even after ~6months of conditioning it still was over powering in a dry/powdery band-aid taste/flavor/aroma. could be a bad batch but i've never been back. Only time i've blamed the yeast.

Sounds more like an infection to me, Smashin. It's really a very clean yeast and certainly no band-aids. :icon_vomit:

My interpretation of this is that the 100 billion cells is after the pack has been smacked and swelled. So unsmacked it would presumably contain a lot less than a WLP vial.

T.D. I have some 005 slurry ready for you later this week. 1 kilo of slurry should be about 1 gazillion viable cells.
Cheers
Gerard

Obviously all yeasts suit a particular beer, Not style but beer, specific to an area, water and ingredients, those beers are at the very root of the strain availability we have today. Understanding yeast strains is part of the art of brewing. Use Nott in a pale, low gravity or lightly bittered beer and you will hate it. It will finish way too low and scrub out the hop aroma and provide very little in esters, you will end up with a watery bitter bland beer. Windsor is a great choice for an ordinary bitter, the low attenuation allows the beer to finish with some body and it produces esters which pair so well with English hop varieties. Using a low attenuating yeast such as this in a big beer is not going to produce a balanced beer. Balance is what brewing is all about, think about balance right from the outset in your recipe, begin with the FG you want to achieve then select a few yeast strains with suitable characteristics for the style depending on whether you want yeast, malt or hops to the fore......then check it's attenuative ability. Adjust your grist bill according to your efficiency to produce an OG which will finish at your desired FG given the attenuative ability of the yeast you have chosen. Pitch at the recommended pitching rate and ferment within the fermentation temperature range for the yeast............. then after tasting it decide if you want to stress the yeast by adjusting fermentation temperatures or by altering pitching rates to fine tune the results to your liking. Piece a piss, this brewing game eh!

Don't hate any yeast strains..........however there are some I like more than others :lol:

Cheers,

Screwy

C'mon Screwy cut to the chase. As you pointed out all yeast have appropriate and inappropriate uses and different appropriate handling. If you can have yeasts that you like more than others it follows that you can have least favorite yeasts ,, so what are they?

To stir a little more, I also find 1056 a bit boring, I like my yeast to contribute something more to the brew

I hate S23......... yuck.

good for making fruit punch at 10 deg!

Regardless, you can make Gold Medal Beers with S23.

stagga.

would proabaly make a fair keolsch..... that apple fruitiness

would proabaly make a fair keolsch..... that apple fruitiness

Mhhh I used it in a boh pils, ferment started at 7 degrees for 2 days then allowed it to reach 10 on the third, and it's still got this taste that I'm not happy with. Nowhere near as nice as any other lager strain I've used.
Would never use it again given the choice.

Q

very odd...this yeast thing
i make fantastic beers by letting nature take its course, no additives, just pure water, malt and hops.

k

C'mon Screwy cut to the chase. As you pointed out all yeast have appropriate and inappropriate uses and different appropriate handling. If you can have yeasts that you like more than others it follows that you can have least favorite yeasts ,, so what are they?

To stir a little more, I also find 1056 a bit boring, I like my yeast to contribute something more to the brew

Don't hate any yeast strains..........however there are some I like more than others :lol:

For instance I prefer W3068 over dried WB-06 for Hefeweizen's and WLP-833 over W2308 for Helles. S-189 always produces Acetyl Aldehyde aplenty when I use it in light lagers. Maybe to do with my fermentation/lagering regime, as others don't find this.

Simpel eh!

Screwy

Yes it is right - To save you looking it up, details below :) - Whitelabs vials according to their site have from 75 Billion cells, Wyeast have minimum 100 Billion.

>>>snip<<<

The Activator package contains a minimum of 100 billion cells in a yeast slurry.. The Activator is designed to directly inoculate 5 gallons of standard strength ale wort (1.034-1.060 SG) with professional pitching rates . . .

I get from their information that the 100 billion figure is after the pack is smacked and ready to pitch. It implies that the pack has that many cells before activation, but since it doesn't actually state that, it appears that the 100 billion figure is when the pack has been smacked and ready for pitching.

I could be wrong here, but if it is otherwise, they should state so. It would make their product a better buy for direct pitching (more cells, about the same price).

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I get from their information that the 100 billion figure is after the pack is smacked and ready to pitch. It implies that the pack has that many cells before activation, but since it doesn't actually state that, it appears that the 100 billion figure is when the pack has been smacked and ready for pitching.

I could be wrong here, but if it is otherwise, they should state so. It would make their product a better buy for direct pitching (more cells, about the same price).

Why not drop them an email and ask, they have always responded to my questions promptly. Greg Doss is their QC Manager and Microbiologist/Brewer you can ask him directly [email protected]

Cheers,

Screwy

I wasnt a fan of 1026 british cask, used it about 3 times and just wasnt happy with the results personally.. I got alot of diacetyl off of it and just wasnt a big fan of the yeast profile...

1469 on the other hand :wub:

:icon_offtopic: Speaking of which...

...anyone got any 1469 'just lying around' that they don't want?

Any donations however small...

...not sure when the new season starts; Ross?

What about trying the guys in WA who were going to propagate and sell a wide range of yeasts? I thought they had something like 1469, or an equivalent, on their list. Do a search and you should be able to find the thread.

Shame you're not closer as I've got 4 smackpacks of 1469 sitting in my fridge waiting for some ESB loving over the winter. If you can't get your hands on some, try 1968. It does a great job as well.

What about trying the guys in WA who were going to propagate and sell a wide range of yeasts? I thought they had something like 1469, or an equivalent, on their list. Do a search and you should be able to find the thread.

Shame you're not closer as I've got 4 smackpacks of 1469 sitting in my fridge waiting for some ESB loving over the winter. If you can't get your hands on some, try 1968. It does a great job as well.

Do you blokes even have a winter up there Brett??? More like a slightly less humid period yeah? :lol:

It's just good beer drinking weather year round TD B)

Back