Yeasts You Really Don't Like

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoohaaman

Reaction score
Do other people have yeasts they really don't like.I have used a very popular yeast that others rave about.
And have hated the results.Upon advice, have given it a second chance,only to be totally disappointed once again.

I think it may be personal taste to different yeasts,but have never come across another yeast I despise.

Thoughts most welcome.I'll name the yeast later if someone doesn't name it 1st

WY1968?

I love it, some people dont seem to like it much at all though.

too easy.

I just don't like the way it sucks out the malt profile,aroma is stolen and it always finishes on desert side of dry.

Oh imho :p

I found Wyeast 1028 London Ale to be Uber minerally... that was before i was doing wter additions. It was like there was a crapload of minerally carbonates in the beer. Wasnt much of a fan. Might try it again in the future but not anytime soon.

I found Wyeast 1028 London Ale to be Uber minerally... that was before i was doing wter additions. It was like there was a crapload of minerally carbonates in the beer. Wasnt much of a fan. Might try it again in the future but not anytime soon.

An English IPA in the NSW swap a while back was made with this yeast and a lot of people didn't like it. Personally, I though it was good but could see why it wasn't that popular and for exactly the reasons you give of adding a minerally taste.

neonmeate, I've only used that yeast a bit so no real thought on that, but it's supposed to be the Chimay strain and really I'm not a big fan of their beers. Too much juicy fruit banana from the yeast for me. :ph34r:

Another one which many don't like is the Wyeast American Ale II, 1272. I really like this yeast, but many find it too nutty or something. For me, it doesn't strip the beer of body like US-05 can do, and is an excellent beer for loads of different styles. :chug:

S23 lager as a dried yeast. It always leaves an odd taste, despite proper temp control...

Another one which many don't like is the Wyeast American Ale II, 1272. I really like this yeast, but many find it too nutty or something. For me, it doesn't strip the beer of body like US-05 can do, and is an excellent beer for loads of different styles. :chug:
[/quote

I like 1272 also.I changed from 1056 for no other reason than change for something more in the new castle brown style

Anyway I will never pitch another nottingham as long as my arse points to the ground,hate the stuff.I have had infected beers which taste better.Mates love beers made with it,I for some reason have a bad threshold with it.

neonmeate, I've only used that yeast a bit so no real thought on that, but it's supposed to be the Chimay strain and really I'm not a big fan of their beers. Too much juicy fruit banana from the yeast for me. :ph34r:

Loads of banana if fermented warm initially. It can be subdued significantly if the first 4 - 5 days of ferment at 15C, before rising to 22C.

My least favourite yeast is Windsor. That stuff really sucks.

Hands down wyeast 3724 belgian saison is my least favourite. Can't stand it. :icon_vomit:

Nottingham?

Couldn`t agree more.
I wouldn`t use it again, also think Windsor is very over rated.
For a top performing dry yeast for most ale types, I`ll stick to the good old US-56.

stagga.

While we're on the subject of yeasts, has anyone here ever tried the Safale K-97 yeast? It is currently only available in the US as a 500 gram brick, too big for a typical homebrewer's use, and I think I'd have to have it shipped from Canada. I used to be able to get some from a place in Canada that re-packaged it into tiny FoodSaver pouches (vacuum sealed), and it lasted a few years that way. Canada changed their export rules on food items since I last bought some, including the laws on shipping yeast, and if it's sent out of the country, it can no longer be repackaged before shipping it.

So my source of packets for this has dried up. Is this available in Australia in packets? If so, I would be interested if a homebrewer who is reputable here could obtain some for me and ship it to the US?

This made a great Kolsch yeast!

I don't have a yeast I hate. I've made decent beer with every brand name yeast (dried or not) I've tried, but I haven't done A-B testing. I'm sure that some of my brews would be improved to be even better than they were if I selected a particular yeast instead of the one I chose to use at that time.

Maybe I'll just have to get a brick and repackage it myself, then brew every ale that I make with it and see how it works out. It might be a decent multi-purpose ale yeast. It did work for some of my other ales, but I wish now that I had kept written records of my brews with taste impressions also.

Donald

While we're on the subject of yeasts, has anyone here ever tried the Safale K-97 yeast? It is currently only available in the US as a 500 gram brick, too big for a typical homebrewer's use, and I think I'd have to have it shipped from Canada. I used to be able to get some from a place in Canada that re-packaged it into tiny FoodSaver pouches (vacuum sealed), and it lasted a few years that way. Canada changed their export rules on food items since I last bought some, including the laws on shipping yeast, and if it's sent out of the country, it can no longer be repackaged before shipping it.

So my source of packets for this has dried up. Is this available in Australia in packets? If so, I would be interested if a homebrewer who is reputable here could obtain some for me and ship it to the US?

This made a great Kolsch yeast!

I don't have a yeast I hate. I've made decent beer with every brand name yeast (dried or not) I've tried, but I haven't done A-B testing. I'm sure that some of my brews would be improved to be even better than they were if I selected a particular yeast instead of the one I chose to use at that time.

Maybe I'll just have to get a brick and repackage it myself, then brew every ale that I make with it and see how it works out. It might be a decent multi-purpose ale yeast. It did work for some of my other ales, but I wish now that I had kept written records of my brews with taste impressions also.

Donald

Latest posts

Back