Yeasts You Really Don't Like

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shame you're not closer as I've got 4 smackpacks of 1469 sitting in my fridge waiting for some ESB loving over the winter. If you can't get your hands on some, try 1968. It does a great job as well.

:super:

I only have 1 unsmacked pack left.....

It's just good beer drinking weather year round TD B)

:icon_offtopic: My FIL tried to tell me that the best time to be drinking beer was when it was stinking hot and the beer was cold...

I personally disagree, I thought about it, and my absolute favourite and most enjoyable beer, would be a half pint of something really rich, dark, and warming whilst sitting in front of the fire/heater when its cold as hell frozen over outside! To me that is absolute bliss B)

Good for you.

Seeing as it still is around 28C here, we like cold beer.

Cheers.

My experience with Wyeast 2035 American lager was not good. It throws a lot of diacetyl and DOES taste kind of woody which makes a very weird lager (I tried it out of desparation on a Classic American Pilsener).

I felt like apologizing to the case swap guys that copped a bottle each... (a belated sorry to you all)

Why not drop them an email and ask, they have always responded to my questions promptly. Greg Doss is their QC Manager and Microbiologist/Brewer you can ask him directly

Here's what he said. Apparently they send the packet with 100 billion yeast cells in it. The message is below.

Donald

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Hi Donald,

Thank you for the email.

There is little to no culture expansion with activating the package.
The amount of nutrient media released into the culture will start the
culture's metabolism (reducing lag times), however is too limited for
cell growth. 100 billion cells (95 ml. @ 1.2E9 cells per ml.) is the
amount of yeast at packaging.

I hope that this helps.

Cheers,

Greg

Greg Doss
Quality Control Manager
Microbiologist/ Brewer
Wyeast Laboratories, Inc.
888-WYEAST-1 / Fax: 866-WYEAST-1
[email protected]
www.wyeastlab.com

Here's what he said. Apparently they send the packet with 100 billion yeast cells in it. The message is below.

Donald

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Hi Donald,

Thank you for the email.

There is little to no culture expansion with activating the package.
The amount of nutrient media released into the culture will start the
culture's metabolism (reducing lag times), however is too limited for
cell growth. 100 billion cells (95 ml. @ 1.2E9 cells per ml.) is the
amount of yeast at packaging.

I hope that this helps.

Cheers,

Greg

Greg Doss
Quality Control Manager
Microbiologist/ Brewer
Wyeast Laboratories, Inc.
888-WYEAST-1 / Fax: 866-WYEAST-1
[email protected]
www.wyeastlab.com

Yay! on ya Donald, piece a piss this brewing game eh! :lol:

Yay! on ya Donald, piece a piss this brewing game eh! :lol:

This is what makes it interesting, I think. So many variables to manipulate makes for a stimulating hobby. And the product makes it worth our efforts.

Interesting. Clearly cell counts are not as important as first thought. Good to know I guess.

This is what makes it interesting, I think. So many variables to manipulate makes for a stimulating hobby. And the product makes it worth our efforts.

Another big up's to this man!

It's all about getting what you want out of yeast, water hops and malt and understanding those ingredients.

Screwy

I tried san francisco lager once, didn't have good results. Nor with windsor dry yeast. Almost definately brewer error though.

A good tradesman never blames his tools.

My experience with Wyeast 2035 American lager was not good. It throws a lot of diacetyl

Don't shoot the messenger.
What makes 2035 different from what other common brewing yeasts ?
In particular lager yeasts.
Diacetyl (and Acetaldehyde, just to mention the common ones) are a natural part of the fermentation process. The presence of either in the finished beer is a result of the brewer's methods not the yeast.

K

Hear hear. Yeast do not throw off any diacetyl (VDK) at all, but a reductive precursor. And, any yeast is particularly affinative to VDK. So, dont blame poor brewer practice for the presence of VDK.... you and you only bear your fruits here ....

Obviously all yeasts suit a particular beer, Not style but beer, specific to an area, water and ingredients, those beers are at the very root of the strain availability we have today. Understanding yeast strains is part of the art of brewing. Use Nott in a pale, low gravity or lightly bittered beer and you will hate it. It will finish way too low and scrub out the hop aroma and provide very little in esters, you will end up with a watery bitter bland beer. Windsor is a great choice for an ordinary bitter, the low attenuation allows the beer to finish with some body and it produces esters which pair so well with English hop varieties. Using a low attenuating yeast such as this in a big beer is not going to produce a balanced beer. Balance is what brewing is all about, think about balance right from the outset in your recipe, begin with the FG you want to achieve then select a few yeast strains with suitable characteristics for the style depending on whether you want yeast, malt or hops to the fore......then check it's attenuative ability. Adjust your grist bill according to your efficiency to produce an OG which will finish at your desired FG given the attenuative ability of the yeast you have chosen. Pitch at the recommended pitching rate and ferment within the fermentation temperature range for the yeast............. then after tasting it decide if you want to stress the yeast by adjusting fermentation temperatures or by altering pitching rates to fine tune the results to your liking. Piece a piss, this brewing game eh!

Don't hate any yeast strains..........however there are some I like more than others :lol:

Cheers,

Screwy

I agree to an extent,also understand that Nottingham in a pale ale is akin to cat piss.I understand mash temps,yeast profiles and fermentation temps.

I understand balance,and how to achieve it.

I simply don't like the nagging flavour Nottingham leaves at the back of the palate.Not a deal killer,but bordering.

Not as noticeable in a darker beer,but there.

Have used Nottingham as an experiment against its alternatives in a variety of beers I do often,sorry but it is a yeast I hate. The best use I can think for it,is to boil it up for nutrients for more deserving yeasts :)

I've made an ordinary bitter, an IPA and am currently fermenting a mild with 1335 British Ale II - and there is something about this yeast I don't like

I'd made the ordinary bitter before - almost the same grain bill / hopping schedule - but with 1028 and it was fab! There's an aroma and taste to 1335 that's just not right

I was gonna use it in a stout and porter that I've got planned - but after a session on the IPA last night I decided to smack a pack of Irish Ale 1084 and dump the mild cake

Any one had much experience with 1335 British Ale II that's not liked it? Can't find too much info on it on the forum and that that I can find suggests that it's a pretty good English strain

Cheers
I take back the nasty things I've said about 1335 - was drinking the IPA over the weekend and this beer was most awesome - 1335 definitely pushes the malty side through though - so bitterness is a little subdued

The Mild was also very drinkable straight out of the fermenter whilst kegging - waiting for this one to carb up

The flavour I was describing seems to have cleared up for the most part

I reckon this yeast is better suited to maltier beer styles as the flavours / maltiness doesn't seem to wanna tango well with bitterness / hop flavours - from my limited experience anyway

Cheers

Back