Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
paulyman said:
My Chinook and Cascade APA. Extremely hop hazy and a bit over carbed, damn coopers drops.

But smells and tastes awesome. A bit too bitter I think, but that might be the chinook giving it a harshness like Galaxy can? Never used it before so not sure.

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1423121516.206291.jpg
I'd say so mate. I made a predominantly Chinook ipa myself and used m44 which I think accentuated it further. lovely and piney but it took a long time to settle down and not as harsh

a re-brew of the first all grain beer i ever made. added some columbus this time round. very happy with it...although sad as my keg blew after this glass :(

pale
crystal
columbus, cascade, and cascade dry
m44
7095013_orig.jpg

Tahoose said:
Was probably the nicest pint out of the keg too, always the way..

Too true, I have two that are about to go, every glass is special as it might be the last, or it might be only half* full

* Between 1 and 100%** And I even shared a couple today, was a heart stopping pour, let me tell you.....

** Or 110% depending on tap warmth, control, and head.....

Found a bottle of a 2yr old robust porter whilst cleaning out the garage yesterday.

A very nice find indeed..

1423341701708.jpg

Snow Eater Ale (100% Chinook)

5.1% - Ale 82%, Vienna 15%, Crystal 60L 3%
30 IBU ( 30m/ 11ibu, 10m/ 19ibu )

US05 @ 19c and Chinook dry hopped 4g/L

WP_20150208_003.jpg

Shit photo by the iphone, but here's my very fresh (only 10 days since brewed) hefeweizen. Didn't aim to rush it but it finished in 3 days and was tasting great so left it for 5 more to clean up and kegged it on Friday.

60% wheat, 40% pils, wyeast 3638 - Bavarian wheat & bittered to 14 with magnum. Simple as but very tasty

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1423385117.256236.jpg

Faux lager on nitro mix.

Without the "spritz" and with that creamy mouthfeel it tastes more like liquid bread. Dangerously easy to smash a few down.

nitro lager.jpg

My flat white stout.

78% Marris Otter
7% Chocolate
5% Crystal 60
5% Roast barley
3% Flaked Oats... dunno why, oh well!
2% Carafa II

ALSO! The equivalent of 5% lactose powder as well!

Mash 60 mins 67c

25 IBU of Challenger Hops at 60 mins
Dry-beaned with 5gm/L specialty coffee beans... I used Atomica.

Safale S-04 @ 19 deg

10491064_10204879752847142_5637252719029760113_n.jpg

It smells sublime... tastes delicious and looks a treat...the slight creaminess of the lactose and the coffee bean aroma/slight flavour work just so well!

...Until the head disappears within seconds leaving nothing! No lacing, nothing! Could it have something to do with the oils in the coffee beans? What is taking my head? Would love to know haha :(

Perhaps I'll sub the oats for Carapils next time? Regardless... delish beer that will go down a treat in winter. Perhaps a few months in the bottle will help its cause.

Highly recommend.

Could be the oats as they have some oils in them, whenever I use them I include some Carapils to give extra foaming. I'm doing a stout next, feck dem lagers :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang:

Bribie G said:
Could be the oats as they have some oils in them, whenever I use them I include some Carapils to give extra foaming. I'm doing a stout next, feck dem lagers :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerbang:
Then I'll sub the oats for Carapils next time! 'Tis the season... to brew big beers for winter! Cheers!

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1423768722.262904.jpg
Glass is a bit frosty, and it's a fresh keg, but I'm really enjoying this Czech Pils. Such a clean flavour profile, with hints of peaches.

Hoping it will clear up as I work my way through the keg.

Slight double up, but my first ever beer in sparkling wine bottles (credit to SWMBO for draining them of their original contents).

Moo-moo Saison

Boh Pils 72%
Munich T1 9%
Pale Wheat 16%
Flaked Barley 3%

EKG @ 60min to 21IBU
Spalt and Styrians cube hopped.
Belle Saison used at 27C for 16 days
OG: 1.046
FG: 1.001 (maybe 1.000).

20150213_204714_resizeda.jpg

wow some nice looking beers!

APA
bittered with vic secret to 40ibu's dry hopped with waimea from un zud (3.5g/l)
mo, crystal 60, crystal pale, bry-97
4.7%
bit young but acceptable

will use waimea again its quite earthy and bold, its happy to stand alone but something like mosaic might be a nice mix

thrillho said:
My flat white stout.

78% Marris Otter
7% Chocolate
5% Crystal 60
5% Roast barley
3% Flaked Oats... dunno why, oh well!
2% Carafa II

ALSO! The equivalent of 5% lactose powder as well!

Mash 60 mins 67c

25 IBU of Challenger Hops at 60 mins
Dry-beaned with 5gm/L specialty coffee beans... I used Atomica.

Safale S-04 @ 19 deg

10491064_10204879752847142_5637252719029760113_n.jpg

It smells sublime... tastes delicious and looks a treat...the slight creaminess of the lactose and the coffee bean aroma/slight flavour work just so well!

...Until the head disappears within seconds leaving nothing! No lacing, nothing! Could it have something to do with the oils in the coffee beans? What is taking my head? Would love to know haha :(

Perhaps I'll sub the oats for Carapils next time? Regardless... delish beer that will go down a treat in winter. Perhaps a few months in the bottle will help its cause.

Highly recommend.
Hi ,
I think the oil in your coffee beans may have more to do with the poor head than the oats.
I have used oats in stouts at higher % than this and not seen a drop in head retention.

Rgds,
Peter

Dad always said teeth were for straining the tea leaves.
Don't think he had hop flowers in minds.
Needing some hop flavour, so having a bit of a Goldings moment.

20150215_002_r.jpg

Cheers,
Peter

Latest posts

Back