Set and Forget carbonation problem

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Georgedgerton

Reaction score
Morning all, I have been using the set and forget carbonation method for a long time without issues until my most recent batch. The pressure was set at 12 psi, and I was away for about two weeks, by which time when I came home I thought it would all ready to go. No the beer poured Ok showing good head and plenty of carbonation but was flat as pancake withing two minutes. Made sure the glasses were clean and well rinsed but just the same. I checked the head pressure inside the keg and it seemed Ok, but I bumped it up another pound or two and was away for another week. So by now the gas has been on the beer for three weeks, and its going flat soon after you pour, just like you had a dirty glass. All the lines seem good and as said the head pressure in the keg seems Ok. The regulator pressure gauge is about 1 psi different to what I measured in the keg, the keg temperature is just under 4 and I cant really see anything else that would be causing this issue

Is the keg quite full/over-filled? I have found kegs with a very small headspace (gas space) take longer to carbonate fully than those with a decent ~0.5-1L head space in them. I have poured a few glasses and then a week later bang the carbonation is where I wanted it to be.

Is the keg quite full/over-filled? I have found kegs with a very small headspace (gas space) take longer to carbonate fully than those with a decent ~0.5-1L head space in them. I have poured a few glasses and then a week later bang the carbonation is where I wanted it to be.
I think you're spot on. I usually try to fill up to the top weld line, but wondering if it was a bit over this time. Now a litre or two has been taken out of it the problem seems to be gradually resolving itself.

Latest posts

Back