King Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah ok. I thought you were pressure fermenting. But why do you say “If I was to carbonate the beer I would have to add the sugar to the fermenter”?

Is there any reason you couldn’t add sugar to the keg? That was the point I was making, that these would be great if you don’t have co2 as you could prime the keg then serve with a bicycle pump or whatever without Oxygen coming in contact with the beer.
Well at 2C I would expect to have about 1.5volumes of CO2, so that is enough for a cask conditioned ale.
Why and when would I add sugar solution to the fermenter? At a higher temperature with less residual CO2 the beer needs priming with some sugar solution. Adding the solution to the beer in the fermenter prior to transfer is less faff than trying to add it before or after the beer is transferred.

Last edited:
I think you have misunderstood what I am saying WEAL. What I am saying is these should appeal to homebrewers that don’t have or want to buy a lot of equipment. All you would need is a bucket to ferment in and one of these kegs to serve homebrew keg beer at home. So easier than bottling, just prime the keg?

I think you have misunderstood what I am saying WEAL. What I am saying is these should appeal to homebrewers that don’t have or want to buy a lot of equipment. All you would need is a bucket to ferment in and one of these kegs to serve homebrew keg beer at home. So easier than bottling, just prime the keg?
I do understand, that is the reason I have shared the post. A less expensive way to experience a cask conditioned beer. I was in Keg King today and I was told that orders for the King Kegs have gone up over the past week so at least there are people willing to give these a go. As for the priming I still maintain a fill from the fermenter with a small amount of sugar solution added. Why? The bags are O2 free, prime with a sugar solution first could jeopardies that. Filling the keg with a small amount of top pressure will ensure the product stays O2 free. Even if a bottling bucket is used the bag will still fill almost totally free of oxygen as long as the fill is stopped before air gets sucked in.

There was an old thread on here about it at the time. The whole idea caused a bit of an upset at the time as some folk thought fermenting under any sort of pressure in plastic would be extremely dangerous for some reason. How times have changed, seems everyone these days are fermenting under pressure in PET.
I remember that thread, some people made some ridiculous claims about safety etc.

I love finding little buried DIY gems like this!
https://aussiehomebrewer.com/threads/carbing-conditioning-in-a-cube-before-keg.70056/post-1492931
94579-20171212-152700.jpg

I remember that thread, some people made some ridiculous claims about safety etc.
I remember that one, barl's having a tizzy fit over a few PSI. That thread seems to have gone now unless Sean can find it but there is still this one. How times have changed.
Cask and Hand-pump
There were a few that had crazy notions about priming and carbonating in plastic cubes yet quite happy to prime and carbonate in glass bottles which of course can blow up and cause injury.

But yes there was the one guy that really got his knickers in a twist about it. Actually got quite abusive towards me in a few unrelated threads but most of his comments were removed shortly after posting.

Admin and mods were embarrassed about it and didn’t agree with his behavior but as he was a long standing member they didn’t want to ban him so just removed comments and did a good job of damage control and calming the situation.

So getting back to the King Keg. Biggest problem was the used bag in the keg wouldn't come out, just to much resistance from CO2 still inside the bag. Resolved the problem by drilling through the top of the keg, so as I pulled the gas came out.
New bag and 20 litres of Ordinary Bitter in the keg, looking forward to see how this will pour, again no priming and beer at 2C should have enough dissolved CO2 leaving 2 weeks to condition.

IMG_0175.JPG

So getting back to the King Keg. Biggest problem was the used bag in the keg wouldn't come out, just to much resistance from CO2 still inside the bag. Resolved the problem by drilling through the top of the keg, so as I pulled the gas came out.
New bag and 20 litres of Ordinary Bitter in the keg, looking forward to see how this will pour, again no priming and beer at 2C should have enough dissolved CO2 leaving 2 weeks to condition.
Looking for some clarification...
You drilled into the King Keg? or into the bag via the opening?

Latest posts

Back