Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thrillho said:
My flat white stout.

78% Marris Otter
7% Chocolate
5% Crystal 60
5% Roast barley
3% Flaked Oats... dunno why, oh well!
2% Carafa II

ALSO! The equivalent of 5% lactose powder as well!

Mash 60 mins 67c

25 IBU of Challenger Hops at 60 mins
Dry-beaned with 5gm/L specialty coffee beans... I used Atomica.

Safale S-04 @ 19 deg

10491064_10204879752847142_5637252719029760113_n.jpg

It smells sublime... tastes delicious and looks a treat...the slight creaminess of the lactose and the coffee bean aroma/slight flavour work just so well!

...Until the head disappears within seconds leaving nothing! No lacing, nothing! Could it have something to do with the oils in the coffee beans? What is taking my head? Would love to know haha :(

Perhaps I'll sub the oats for Carapils next time? Regardless... delish beer that will go down a treat in winter. Perhaps a few months in the bottle will help its cause.

Highly recommend.
Arabica beans are @ 12-20 % oil iirc, so combined with the oats could be the problem

Just got back from 6 hours of driving so time to sit down and have a beer with the housemates. A nice fresh clovey hefeweizen at 3 vol and an roasty oatmeal stout at 1.8.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1423984354.473637.jpg

Lime Infused Cream Ale with both rice and polenta in the mash. Turned out a treat; cheers to Seehussen and Madpierre for their help with the recipe :D

2015_02_14_22_07_13.jpg

Okay, finally one I am proud of. The making of this all Mosaic IPA has been a bitch. But the taste makes it all worth it. With 7g/L it packs a punch, very earthy. But tastes citrusy.

Only 6 days in the bottle but couldn't wait to try one. Only one carb drop per 750mL bottle as well, much prefer this level of carbonation.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1424162021.258983.jpg

Sharing a tasting paddle with the younger brother to teach him about the beers, would do four but I broke a glass when stacking them in our dishwasher.. Left to right: Oatmeal Stout, Brown Porter, Hefeweizen

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1424164687.026746.jpg

CrookedFingers said:
The 5thirty IPA

76 IBU
5.9%
18L
90.9% MO
5.5% Gladfields toffee
3.6% med crystal

15g warrior @ 60
10g cascade & magnum @ 45
5g cascade & 10g magnum @ 35
5g magnum @ 25
5g cascade & 15g Simcoe @ 5
Dry hop @ 6 days was 18g cascade & 50g Simcoe.

So good. I'm no expert however.
But....Tastes like licking pine trees !!!
Love that pine resin flavour !!!!

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1421656296.885570.jpg

Here it is again.
I thought the keg was dry...NOT !!
Very happy !!!!!
It has mellowed a little, flavours have settled and it's better than before.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1424246282.504299.jpg

download.png

Steam Ale Clone. Mine on the right. Only been in the keg a few days. In all honesty, mine tastes far better than the one out of the bottle. More like I remember having at the brewery itself. Real hop zing on the nose with lovely fruit aroma from the Motueka. Been sitting on the recipe for a while. Basically a version of Syl's clone IIRC. Got a barbie tomorrow, and wanted something a bit more sessionable for the masses.

lobedogg said:
download.png

Steam Ale Clone. Mine on the right. Only been in the keg a few days. In all honesty, mine tastes far better than the one out of the bottle. More like I remember having at the brewery itself. Real hop zing on the nose with lovely fruit aroma from the Motueka. Been sitting on the recipe for a while. Basically a version of Syl's clone IIRC. Got a barbie tomorrow, and wanted something a bit more sessionable for the masses.
I like that beer from MG, light and refreshing.

I think that they use Oranic Pilsner malt which is how they get the colour so light, what did you use?

Dan

Just use Joe White Pils from memory mate. Can check my notes tonight.

Just found recipe which I basically followed on my work compy:

Steamed Goat (American Pale Ale)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.050 (°P): 12.4
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (°P): 3.3
Alcohol (ABV): 4.91 %
Colour (SRM): 3.4 (EBC): 6.7
Bitterness (IBU): 26.1 (Average)

87.49% Pilsner
12.51% Wheat Malt

0.8 g/L B Saaz (8.6% Alpha) @ 13 Minutes (Boil)
0.8 g/L Citra (11.1% Alpha) @ 13 Minutes (Boil)
0.8 g/L Galaxy (13.4% Alpha) @ 13 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 18°C with Safale US-05

Notes: 2g/l dry hop

No hops in boil (13 min additions were added 10 mins after flameout. (I no chill).

Dry Hop was something like:
.5g/l Galaxy
1g/l Motueka
1g/l Citra/Mosaic

Motueka seems to be the main one doing the talking though.

Centennial Amber Ale

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1425014950.363087.jpg

4.5% abv
OG 1.046
47 IBU

80% pale malt
4% crystal 60L
8% wheat
5% Vienna

Sacch @ 66C for 45mins

Magnum bittering additions
Centennial bittering additions
Centennial and cascade aroma additions and dry hop

WLP090 San Diego Super Yeast

Fermentation at 20C

Note: what's in the glass is actually 50% air as I couldn't wait to take the photo.

Dark English Mild - 2.9%

Pretty happy with this one, even though it's the lightest I've brewed it doesn't sacrifice for flavour. Rich biscuit maltiness, fruity esters as expected by Ringwood yeast and overall very enjoyable and sessionable. I aimed for 3.5% however due to high mash rest and Ringwood it seems to ended high but not in a bad way. Not carbed yet as I'm just letting it sit under the pressure but still great, just like out of the cask!

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1425032495.885113.jpg

lobedogg said:
download.png

Phew...I thought I was the only bloke who liked to do side-by-side tastings of my clone beers in the bathroom immediately following a shower...I'm not so strange after all.
Nice looking beer there, btw.

Oatmeal stout and chocolate brownie with salted caramel/almond ice cream.

The stout and the chocolate live together harmoniously.

image.jpg

DU99 said:
First Wheat Beer..
10514jt.jpg

Marris otter pale/wheat/fuggles
Unusual combination of hops and malt for a wheat beer DU99, how does it taste?

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1425277033.437491.jpg

Bits and pieces pale ale.
Cleaned out every bit of malt I had.
71.6% MO
6.5% Trad ale
21.9% DME

20g warrior @ 60
35g EKG @ 15
39 IBU
4.4%

Still a bit hazy, only 1 week on the keg.
Tastes good though. Nice and simple.

Back