Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
American Amber Ale 5

OG - 1.052
FG - 1.011
ABV - 5.4%
IBU - 37 ( whirlpool hops not included )
EBC - 29

Malts

66% Ale
15% Munich
6% Carared
6% Medium Simpson Crystal ( 60L )
6% Flaked Oats
1% Choc Malt

Mashed @ 34c/20m, 67c/60m, 78c/30m ( 34c is for the oats )

Hops

Citra @ 60m - 15 ibu
Amarillo/Centennial @ 10m - 14 ibu
Amarillo/Centennial @ 5m - 8 ibu
Amarillo/Centennial & Citra Whirlpooled for 5mins - 21g each

Fermented with Cal 001 Yeast @ 19c

Dry hopped with 21g each - Amarillo, Centennial & Citra for 7days

Its a great balance of malt and hops. :D

Just to clarify what changed from the Nats beer to this one......

removed Caraaroma - it was getting in the way of the hop aroma
replaced it with carared - carared is only 20L
increased the munich - due to the caraaroma deletion, increased munich from 10% to 15%

Changed bittering to Citra
Added Citra to the Whirlpool
Replaced all cascade with Amarillo.
Added amarillo to the WP.

Let me know if you make this and how it turns out.

Three shades of stout. Bloody beautiful.

1426056812870.jpg

4 pines pale ale clone whilst camping/hunting on the weekend.

image.jpg

Yep that was sunset, but it's 5pm somewhere in the world right??? Wish I was there having a beer now, would beat working this morning.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1426583228.500601.jpg

My Foreign Extra Stout kegged on Sunday and carbed up just in time for a sneaky taste for St Patrick's day.
First Stout I've made and got 1 keg, 15 long necks, and 40 stubbies from a double batch.
7% too so it should last the winter.... I hope.

Put a few aside and forget about them until the following winter...if you can...

I'm going to take the keg out of the kegerator and store it in another fridge to make way for an IPA this weekend and have 2 fermenters full of my house APA so I shouldn't have too much trouble hiding 12 stubbies and a couple of long necks away til next year.

Belgium strong dark ale, only four weeks in the bottle after massive cold crashing, still needs a lot longer but coming along nicely.

First use of one of the glasses the missus got me for my birthday too!

Phone always makes my photos sideways on here..

20150318_175244.jpg

Nogne 100 clone + rye.only 2 months old but tasting very nice if a tad boozy

IMAG0921.jpg

100%* Crystal Malt Stout

8HD_3939-001.JPG

Since I got suckered into buying a whole sack of BB medium crystal, this had to be done some day. I mashed the crystal along with some dodgy enzyme powder from the LHBS. Alas, the enzyme powder wasn't really cutting the mustard after three hours or so, so I relented and added a kilo of ale malt to give it a diastatic kick up the arse. There was some choc malt added for the stout factor too, but I'm not counting that either. In the end, it is a very asterisked 100%, but it is close enough to the mark.

This thing ended up at 1065 or so. It actually fermented out pretty well, going down to 1018 or 1016, don't really remember which. I put a fair bit of bittering hops in to hedge my bets against the uncertain attenuation.

In the glass, it reminds me a lot of Feral's Boris - it actually is pretty drinkable considering. The tiny glass seems appropriate still. I think this will be popular at the end of the night as the weather cools down. A pretty good outcome considering.

Coopers PA clone as per Andrew QLDs recipe.(cheers). Followed as near as I could to the letter including step mash, only had to use NB hops cos POR were unavailable. Brewed using re cultured Coopers yeasties and bottled to keep it real. About as close to a clone as any beer I've tried to clone.
if your a CPA fan, this ones an absolute cracker.

New%20Image_zps0p9ircj4.png

Liam_snorkel said:
Cool! I'm interested in the efficiency, how big was your grain bill?
The efficiency was pretty crap, though I didn't keep much in the way of records - wasn't really planning to ever do it again. I think with some better enzymes it might work better - the ones I had were just from the winemaking shelf I believe - for clearing haze or whatever dodgy thing winemakers do with it.

Ahtanum IPA

MO & Pilsner (50/50) with a smattering of light crystal mashed long and low. Bittered to ~17IBU with NB, then used 260g of Ahtanum split between a 10min, cube, miniboil & dry hop.

OG 1.053, M44 brought it to it's knees at 1.008. No idea of the resultant IBUs, not excessive but the flavour and aroma from the Ahtanum is pretty amazing, lots of citrus peel flavour and light floral/fruit aroma.

This batch was a test run to see what Ahtanum could bring to the table, will probably pair it with Amarillo next time as the aroma could have been more prominent (even with 90g dry hopped!).

IMG_20150321_182918.jpg

I find the ahtanum has a nice earthyness to it aswell.

Should use it again soon I think.

Back