Whats In The Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dent said:
Mawson Stone Brew

1-002.JPG

Made with fire + rocks about 7 months ago. Fermented with Workhorse (on the farm, no temp control!) and bottle conditioned. This has come out wonderfully clean with all the smoky caramelly flavours you'd expect from the process. It seemed a bit light on in those terms earlier on, but it has come out so clean -- now those great stone brew characteristics are shining out with clarity.
I wonder how the ones in the dam are holding up, have you tried to dredge them up to take a looksy?

TheWiggman said:
Bloody hell you're a showoff with that camera of yours dent. And beers.
No camera, I just rely on an abundance of talent :lol: Thanks.

Mitch_76 said:
I wonder how the ones in the dam are holding up, have you tried to dredge them up to take a looksy?
I checked that they had been unmolested a few weeks ago, but I will leave the dredging operation until the start of winter or so, then put them on the shelf up there to settle - this is not a beer you can happily drink the sediment, unless you enjoy the soapy taste of ash.

I cracked one the other night too. This is a great beer and looks just damn sexy! Clarity is amazing, as is the head retention on this beer. Good to know that my involvement alone does not contribute to haze! It holds a fine, beady head the whole glass. Love the smokiness and full depth of caramelisation, and the 6-7% creeps up on you. I've never had a beer like it.

I can just imagine someone pulling on the rope in the dam expecting to pull in a koonack trap and find a dozen longnecks!

ESB
62.3% trad ale
29% MO
8.7% med crystal

EKG all the way.
25g @ 60
15g @ 30
25g @ 15
31 IBU

4.5%
WLP001

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1422256573.539629.jpg

My Pride of Wheat recipe, freshly poured (though I was a little too careful with the head). You can barely see the kids fighting thanks to the DOF.

med_gallery_31264_1139_674376.jpg

Fermented warm using 10 month old re-cultured yeast. All phenolics and barely a banana on the nose even though it uses 3068 yeast. Apparently it's a good beer, but I don't like wheats. This one however I can drink.

My 10 month old ale with my Belgian Rye Saison boiling in the background. Nothing like celebrating avoiding potential boil overs. Note to self, don't try to boil 41L in a 50L pot if you want an easy brew night..

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1422449714.900556.jpg

and this is the other mofo that just went down...not sure which one I like more, both are nicely balanced and goooood

if you haven't done a swapsy with someone on the forums b4, I highly recommend it ~ especially if your own beer is worse haha

Glad you liked them mate.
The rye (first post) is the best beer I have made.
Sent it for the xmas lotto too and was well liked there.
Approaching the best beer I have drunk.

Crystal Assisted Ale

1.jpg

This beer started out as a bit of a fail. Part of some new brewing methodology experiment, in the keg it turned out pretty lifeless and overbittered for the amount of malt character it had. So I made a very mini mash of 700g or so of medium crystal malt in a BIAB bag (lots of wastage for such a small mash) along with some extra enzyme to hopefully convert the extra starch. This turned into a litre and a half or so of wort which I boiled very briefly, then poured into the keg.

The unfermented wort has given the beer a fairly intense, pleasant grainy overtone, along with a deep red hue. It certainly is quite different to the same malts actually fermented through.

The extra wort sure made the keg hazy for a couple months but as you can see, it has now turned bright and kept stable in the cold. A good win for bad beer.

Brown Porter I brewed for my dad. Only 2 weeks in the bottle but tasting pretty nice. Quite promising, love the what pale choc malt and brown malt gives to porters

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1422669616.491687.jpg

My Chinook and Cascade APA. Extremely hop hazy and a bit over carbed, damn coopers drops.

But smells and tastes awesome. A bit too bitter I think, but that might be the chinook giving it a harshness like Galaxy can? Never used it before so not sure.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1423121516.206291.jpg

Back