What are you brewing 2015?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Brewing up a cream ale to lager for a few months. Lovely hot weather beer!

23L

2.5kg Briess Brewer's Malt
2kg Gladfield Light Lager
1kg polenta

Mash at 65c, 18IBU of Magnum at 60 and 15g of Crystal hops at flameout.
Using the White Labs Cream Ale blend for the first time - looking forward to it!

Nick R said:
Brewing up a cream ale to lager for a few months. Lovely hot weather beer!

23L

2.5kg Briess Brewer's Malt
2kg Gladfield Light Lager
1kg polenta

Mash at 65c, 18IBU of Magnum at 60 and 15g of Crystal hops at flameout.
Using the White Labs Cream Ale blend for the first time - looking forward to it!
great yeast that one mate. it'll be super clean and crisp. i've used it a couple times.

hwall95 said:
Brewed up a porter yesterday. It's been far too long since I've made one of these. Brew went well, mashed at 67 and boiled for 70min. Switch to a new grain bag which is a little more permeable which made squeezing the water out a lot easier! Due to my kegs being full of german beer, will probably bottle this one which means it will last longer :D Similiar to my last porter however have dropped the MO down a kg, and raised the brown malt up a kg which should hopefully bring out the lovely brown malt flavour even more.

OG: 1.057 Alc%: 5.5
FG: 1.014 EBC: 86
IBU: 37 Size: 23L

Grain Bill
3.5kg Maris Otter
1.5kg Brown Malt
0.5kg Munich
0.4kg Pale Choc
0.2kg Crystal
0.1kg Dark Crystal

Hops:
15g Warrior @ 60min
30g EKG @ Cube

Yeast:
2 Packs M07 - British Ale. Ferment at 20
Wow this is a big percentage of Brown malt! have you brewed with this sort of % before? Certainly not knocking it I'm just used to 10% ish Brown malt :)

And to finish off my 4 brew extravaganza weekend(ish), tonight I will get the following cubed. This will mean I have 4 cubes up my sleeve and now I can brew for fun :) Also means I wont run out of beer for a while. Now I'm a happy camper...err....brewer.

Recipe: Rye Pale Ale
Brewer: Russell Paulin
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 26.96 l
Post Boil Volume: 24.96 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l
Bottling Volume: 21.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated Color: 16.1 EBC
Estimated IBU: 37.9 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 75.1 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
4.04 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) ( Grain 1 73.2 %
0.45 kg Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC) Grain 2 8.1 %
0.45 kg Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC) Grain 3 8.1 %
0.36 kg Crystal, Medium (Simpsons) (108.3 EBC) Grain 4 6.5 %
0.22 kg Carapils (Briess) (3.0 EBC) Grain 5 4.1 %
14.00 g Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 22.7 IBUs
29.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 6.2 IBUs
20.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 2.4 IBUs
29.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 30.0 Hop 9 6.6 IBUs
1.0 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35. Yeast 10 -
50.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs

Never used Rye so keen to see how this turns out. And I have 6.25 kgs of it, so better turn out alright :)

A few ferments on the go at the moment:
- Rye Golden Ale
- Kottbusser
- Czech Saaz Pils
- Light Brown Ale with dried oregano.

Bottled a Rye Altbier on the weekend. I think I am addicted to putting rye in ferments.

Next a Dortmunder Export (as I've never made one before), a pale ale with palm sugar, and a Belgian Dubbel with what's left of last year's frozen morello cherry crop.

Back again! Found myself a little free time and a lot of honey, so I made a mead!

Using the Staggered Nutrient Additions-ish method.

7kg of mixed "raw" wild honey from Ballina, DAP, White Labs Yeast Nutrients and Fermaid-A. Made up to 25L and given a big blast of pure oxygen. Pitched champagne yeast.

Now we wait.

I've got a basic APA hopped with Mosaic (+Magnum bittering) cold crashing at the moment due to be kegged on Saturday, after which the next batch will go straight into the FV after cleaning it. It's a variation on my regular red ale recipe, also using Mosaic hops. Trying to fill keg after keg is quite fun... means more brewing!

And then I'll have two empty cubes to fill! I'm thinking another Bo Pils then not sure about the next one but it will be an ale of some type anyway. Might do a porter to stash away til next winter. :wub:

Nizmoose said:
Wow this is a big percentage of Brown malt! have you brewed with this sort of % before? Certainly not knocking it I'm just used to 10% ish Brown malt :)
I've used it at 15% and really liked it so thought I'd test it out. I also was reading a book about the development of porters and about how the basically used brown malt as the base but until after I ordered the grain I didn't realise the malting process for brown malt has changed quite a bit.. It should be interesting how it turns out, am expecting quite a strong chocolate and coffee flavour coming through that will hopefully balance with the roast and hops

I can't exactly remember, bur I ordered from National Homebrew so it has to be either Simpsons or Gladfield brown malt

Brewing a 30L batch of Jamil's "Call Me!" Blonde Ale from Brewing Classic Styles. Decided to attempt an over gravity brew in the run up towards christmas, will fill 2 15L cubes and add 5L to each when I go to ferment them, so I can have 2 kegs worth for friends and family. I adjusted the recipe using Beersmithand a bit of maths.

6.35 kg Gladfield American Ale
0.37 kg Gladfield Light Crystal

20 IBU Hallertau at 60 mins (adjusted for dilution).

Once again came in over gravity, 77% BHE last brew, 82% this brew so I guess milling my own grain has boosted my efficiency by about 10%.

hwall95 said:
I've used it at 15% and really liked it so thought I'd test it out. I also was reading a book about the development of porters and about how the basically used brown malt as the base but until after I ordered the grain I didn't realise the malting process for brown malt has changed quite a bit.. It should be interesting how it turns out, am expecting quite a strong chocolate and coffee flavour coming through that will hopefully balance with the roast and hops
Awesome hopefully it turns out well I love a good chocolate coffee forward porter

Code:
02-10-2015 American Brown

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L):          25.00    Wort Size (L):    25.00
Total Grain (Kg):         6.85
Anticipated OG:          1.055    Plato:            13.64
Anticipated SRM:          20.8
Anticipated IBU:          35.5
Brewhouse Efficiency:       68 %
Wort Boil Time:             60    Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

%     Amount     Name                          Origin        Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 87.6     6.00 kg.  Pale Malt(2-row)              America        1.036      2
  7.3     0.50 kg.  Weyermann Carahell            Germany        1.035     13
  5.1     0.35 kg.  Chocolate Malt                America        1.029    350

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount     Name                              Form    Alpha  IBU  Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 25.00 g.     Centennial                        Pellet  10.50  26.6  60 min.
 40.00 g.     Nelson Sauvin                     Pellet  11.10   9.0  5 min.
 40.00 g.     Kohatu                            Pellet   6.80   0.0  0 min.

Yeast
-----

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Name: Ale October 2015

Total Grain Kg:        6.85
Total Water Qts:      19.26 - Before Additional Infusions
Total Water L:        18.23 - Before Additional Infusions

Tun Thermal Mass:      0.00
Grain Temp:              22 C

Step   Rest   Start   Stop  Heat     Infuse   Infuse  Infuse
Step Name            Time   Time   Temp    Temp  Type     Temp     Amount  Ratio
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dough In               0      0     71      71   Infuse    78       18.23   2.66
Sach-1                 0     50     64      66   Direct   ---     -------   ----
Sach-2                 0     30     70      70   Direct   ---     -------   ----
Mash Out               0     30     78      78   Direct   ---     -------   ----

"JZ Fruh" Kolsch from Brewing Classic Styles, although I didn't have any Pilsner or Hallertau on hand so subbed in Gladfield American Ale and Tettnager.

23L Batch.

94% Gladfield American Ale
6% Gladfield Vienna

60g Tettnager at 60 mins for 22 IBU's

Will ferment with WLP029.

Milled grain according to 77% efficiency this time and hit my predicted numbers, still can't believe how much of an impact milling my own grain has had on my efficiency. Can't wait until the new spider coupling arrives and I can get the motor working, milling by hand gives you a big workout!

Extra extra long weekend, so with the house to myself this morning I decided to do a no-chill brew (fermenter still has last weeks Pliney clone dry hopping away)

St. Rogues Red Ale Clone

OG: 1052
FG: 1015
IBU: 42
SRM: 26
ABV: 4.8%

BIABacus calcs/recipe:
62.6% Joe White Ale (6 EBC = 3 SRM) 3017 grams
8.8% Munich Light (15 EBC = 7.6 SRM) 424 grams
8.8% Carared (40 EBC = 20.3 SRM) 424 grams
11% CaraMunich I (80 EBC = 40.6 SRM) 528 grams
8.8% CaraMunich III (150 EBC = 76.1 SRM) 424 grams

Columbus Pellets (14.8%AA) 24.6 grams at 90 mins
Centennial Pellets (10%AA) 32.6 grams cube hopped (recipe calls for whirlpool or hopback, cube hop should be close enough)
Might add some Centennial dry hopped to the fermenter also

Mash Type: Pure BIAB (Full-Volume Mash): Saccharifiaction for 90 mins at 68 C
Mashout for for 1 mins at 76 C

Fermentation: Wyeast 1056

First time cubing so I kept it simple. Put this one down this week;

Quaffers Kolsch - No Chill
OG: 1.048
FG: 1.012
IBUs: 21.1

90% Weyermann Pilsner
7% Weyermann Vienna Malt
3% Weyermann Pale Wheat Malt

Magnum (11.7%AA) @ 45min to 21 IBUs

5g of Brewtan B in Mash water at beginning of brewday.
5g of Brewtan B, 5g of brewbrite & 5g of Yeast nutrient at whirlpool just before cubing.

Wyeast 2565 Kolsch re-cultured from frozen stepped up to a 2.5lt starter.

Stepped Mash: 52'c for 15min, 66'c for 50min, then overshot to 78'c for 15min (instead of the 72'c target) but it should be fine...

Fermenting at 16'c in the brewfridge right now.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Notes: I know most Kolsch have either Vienna or Wheat malt in them but I kinda wanted the fluffiness that wheat would provide and the rich malt that Vienna gives so I upped the Vienna 2% and added 3% of Wheat malt, hoping I might get the best of both worlds...

Had a smash vienna and pacifica blonde ale fermenting on coopers yeast. I was given some brett starters so Ill be adding some the yeast bay lochristi brett blend in the secondary.

SBOB said:
Extra extra long weekend, so with the house to myself this morning I decided to do a no-chill brew (fermenter still has last weeks Pliney clone dry hopping away)

St. Rogues Red Ale Clone

OG: 1052
FG: 1015
IBU: 42
SRM: 26

BIABacus calcs/recipe:
62.6% Joe White Ale (6 EBC = 3 SRM) 3017 grams
8.8% Munich Light (15 EBC = 7.6 SRM) 424 grams
8.8% Carared (40 EBC = 20.3 SRM) 424 grams
11% CaraMunich I (80 EBC = 40.6 SRM) 528 grams
8.8% CaraMunich III (150 EBC = 76.1 SRM) 424 grams

Columbus Pellets (14.8%AA) 24.6 grams at 90 mins
Centennial Pellets (10%AA) 32.6 grams cube hopped (recipe calls for whirlpool or hopback, cube hop should be close enough)
Might add some Centennial dry hopped to the fermenter also

Mash Type: Pure BIAB (Full-Volume Mash): Saccharifiaction for 90 mins at 68 C
Mashout for for 1 mins at 76 C

Fermentation: Wyeast 1056
why the long boil where an extra little grain and hops would get the same gravity and bitterness?

Not questioning, just curious.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back