Hey there!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys/gals.
Just a quick intro post. Names Ken. Been a Homebrewer since 2015. Started with the usual kits and bit for about a year, moved up to all grain BIAB with a modded crown urn, then kegging. Sort of lost a bit of interest and/or too busy for the last 2 years but getting back into it with a vengeance. Buying a heap of new gear and first new brew will be in a few weeks.
So far accumulated a new allrounder 30l (got sick of chasing leaks in my 27l fermzilla), RAPT temp controller, Pill, Heat belt, Maltzilla and shortly will buy the final pieces of the puzzle, that being a Brewzilla 35 Gen 4, bluetooth thermo, heat exchanger plate for it, whirlpool arm etc etc. Already have a 4 stage RO filter but have bought new filters and membrane for that so good to go again.
Favourite style is West Coast IPA's followed closely by Hazies, but I do love me some Imperial stouts and sours as well. Very keen to get this new setup all running nice. I had all my numbers pretty spot on with the old setup but now I have to do it all over again damn it. Ah it's all fun though.
Cheers and beers guys. 🍻

Hi guys/gals.
Just a quick intro post. Names Ken. Been a Homebrewer since 2015. Started with the usual kits and bit for about a year, moved up to all grain BIAB with a modded crown urn, then kegging. Sort of lost a bit of interest and/or too busy for the last 2 years but getting back into it with a vengeance. Buying a heap of new gear and first new brew will be in a few weeks.
So far accumulated a new allrounder 30l (got sick of chasing leaks in my 27l fermzilla), RAPT temp controller, Pill, Heat belt, Maltzilla and shortly will buy the final pieces of the puzzle, that being a Brewzilla 35 Gen 4, bluetooth thermo, heat exchanger plate for it, whirlpool arm etc etc. Already have a 4 stage RO filter but have bought new filters and membrane for that so good to go again.
Favourite style is West Coast IPA's followed closely by Hazies, but I do love me some Imperial stouts and sours as well. Very keen to get this new setup all running nice. I had all my numbers pretty spot on with the old setup but now I have to do it all over again damn it. Ah it's all fun though.
Cheers and beers guys. 🍻
If you can stretch the budget and have a 15A outlet go for the 65L.
More headroom and faster heating. Budget a pump upgrade too (for sanity's sake) 😊

If you can stretch the budget and have a 15A outlet go for the 65L.
More headroom and faster heating. Budget a pump upgrade too (for sanity's sake) 😊
yeah I did think about that. I don't do double batches though, so it would only be for bigger than about 7% beers. Plus I figured if I wanted to stray into imperial territory I could just grab the extension and bigger malt pipe down the track?

65L gives you flexibility to do full volume mashes for single batches of standard beers, rather than needing to do a rinse/sparge, if that interests you.
I used to do full volume mashes with my biab setup, surely sparging will get me better efficiency?

I used to do full volume mashes with my biab setup, surely sparging will get me better efficiency?
Slightly, probably. Is it worth the extra effort though? Not pushing one way or the other, I do both. You rinse/sparge, you get more of the wort rinsed from the grain. But the wort remaining ('lost') in the grain contains less extract in a full volume mash than a (pre -rinse/sparge) partial volume mash. How much of that extract is then released by the rinse/sparge? In a single vessel brewery I'd contend that you're only talking a few percent difference at the end of the day, but full volume mashing is more predictable. Whatever feels right to you though.

Back