been awhile but wanting to get back into it

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael eade

Reaction score
Gday All

been awhile since i last home brewed would nearly say 10 odd years ago and imagine a hell of alot has changes since then with equipent etc

i have been looking at either getting

grainfather or robobrew system

I am thinking more on grainfather due to where the control box is situated as i wont need to bend down as i would be brewing at floor level or on some wooden box
I also like on the grain father that it has bluetooth and you do everything by computer or mobile phone bluetooth

Robo brew i like the looks of it, however with my aching back and my Knee caps not wanting to be bent down or rested on , i dont like where the Control box is situated for brewing at floor level and i am not sure my good partner wants to be doing this for me

Now for price i know grain father is a higher premium but for less i can get the 65litre robobrew system for less...

If i was to go the robo brew 65 litre i may consider even getting the 35 litre robo brew as well as my thoughts you could use one for heating sparge water and vice versa yep i know can be a bit of an over kill
Fermenters

I am thinking of getting 2-4 fermenters 30litre so i can have a couple of batches on the go at any given time and have a couple spare for secondry fermentation etc

but i am also thinking of getting a fermzilla

also looking at getting some cubes so i can use the no chill method

if you was to basicly start again after awhile what would you look at buying between the robo brew and grainfather as well as fermenting?

Cheers and beers
ozdevil

If you're looking at the Robo you should also look at https://www.keg-king.com.au/keg-king-guten-70l-brewery-system.html
You probably wont be brewing on the floor as the drain tap is at the bottom of the system, I have a Robo and it sits on a bench 600mm high, no problems seeing the screen or operating the controls.
There's a thread here about the Guten v the Robo, the Guten initially had problems with it's overflow pipe, I'm pretty sure that's been fixed now, the Robo has been upgraded after having problems of its own.
The grainfather is just too expensive for what it is, and bluetooth is not the most reliable technology out there. imho.
For heating sparge water https://www.keg-king.com.au/turbo-boiler-2000watt.html.html or 35L DigiBoil - Digital Turbo Boiler 2400watt
There's threads here about fermenters, search fermentasaurus to get started, then fermzilla.

If you're looking at the Robo you should also look at https://www.keg-king.com.au/keg-king-guten-70l-brewery-system.html
You probably wont be brewing on the floor as the drain tap is at the bottom of the system, I have a Robo and it sits on a bench 600mm high, no problems seeing the screen or operating the controls.
There's a thread here about the Guten v the Robo, the Guten initially had problems with it's overflow pipe, I'm pretty sure that's been fixed now, the Robo has been upgraded after having problems of its own.
The grainfather is just too expensive for what it is, and bluetooth is not the most reliable technology out there. imho.
For heating sparge water https://www.keg-king.com.au/turbo-boiler-2000watt.html.html or 35L DigiBoil - Digital Turbo Boiler 2400watt
There's threads here about fermenters, search fermentasaurus to get started, then fermzilla.

i have pretty well decided as much as i like the looks of grainfather and i agree for what it is its a hell of alot of difference in coins and i can't really afford the g70 in the grainfather its well out of the price range and bluetooth i agree its not the most reliable thing anddont really need it as your pretty well near the vessel at all times..

i had a good read over but it did my head in with the negativity between a certain companies and took away from really what the thread was about but got some useful info just the same..

for the sparge have had a look at both of those and will keep them in mind , but i just might buy a couple of 20litre pots and boil the sparge up on the stove as i plan to brew in the kitchen.. then once the dollars free up then look at these 2 boilers

thanks for your input much appreciated

cheers
ozdevil

If money is a serious concern but you really still want a larger batch, you could look at the old hands-on methodology of a 3-piece brew kit.
It will also provide real brewing experience, as opposed to arms-length automated brewing.
You'll need an esky/cooler with a lauter manifold and fittings to connect a hose; and a boiler/keggle and if you're feeling extravagant, a pot or two. for sparge water.
John Palmer's "How To Brew" book is online, and should help with sizing of vessels and design.
Automation, you don't need it.

Back