New to this - Want to home brew plus get popular beers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epsryn

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am brand new to the game. I want to test out home brewing and also be able to connect kegs from known beers for parties and just to have on tap. I have seen models out there that seem to do one or the other:

Homebrew package for keg

beer brand package

I like these guys, they seem really helpful but I want to check here first. They say if i buy a homebrew package all i would need is A &/or D type couplers and I would be able to also attach most beer brands or get the beer branded package and buy a wide range of empty kegs as I want from lots of different places. It seems simple enough but when i look at empty kegs there are so many types - fermentors, ball lock? etc.

Does anyone have any idea if the advice seems right? I am happy to pay for something that will last. I have always wanted to get a keg, and pefect a homebrew but I think having the ability to put in known beer kegs would be smart.

I am thinking of a 2, 3, or 4 tap. Any advice for a newbie?

Thanks all1

My understanding if you want “craft” beer commercially, then you’ll only need the A-type. A mate of mine has ball lock kegs that I fill for him from time to time and the bulk of his beer he gets from craft breweries using the A-type.
We also added ball lock connectors into his A-type coupler, so he can simply click his kegerator gas and liquid lines onto the coupler and then attach the coupler to commercial keg. Easy to disassemble the coupler from the system and clean in a sink, etc.

• A Type Coupler: Toohey's, Coopers, XXXX, and most craft beer/microbrewery kegs.
  • D Type Coupler: Carlton Draught, CUB, Fosters & VB Kegs.
  • S Type Coupler: Asahi, Heineken, Hofbrau Kegs.
  • Home brew ball lock.
You can have as many taps as you like, limiting factor is the size of the fridge to cool the beer.
You can have different types of couplers connected to different taps to plug and go.

My understanding if you want “craft” beer commercially, then you’ll only need the A-type. A mate of mine has ball lock kegs that I fill for him from time to time and the bulk of his beer he gets from craft breweries using the A-type.
We also added ball lock connectors into his A-type coupler, so he can simply click his kegerator gas and liquid lines onto the coupler and then attach the coupler to commercial keg. Easy to disassemble the coupler from the system and clean in a sink, etc.
Thanks mate, I like that idea. I'll have a look around for ball lock connectors and buy a 2-4 tap with 1-2 ball type kegs (to get started on my own) , and an A and/or D type coupler. Thanks for the reply. That sounds like an easy way to do it

• A Type Coupler: Toohey's, Coopers, XXXX, and most craft beer/microbrewery kegs.
  • D Type Coupler: Carlton Draught, CUB, Fosters & VB Kegs.
  • S Type Coupler: Asahi, Heineken, Hofbrau Kegs.
  • Home brew ball lock.
You can have as many taps as you like, limiting factor is the size of the fridge to cool the beer.
You can have different types of couplers connected to different taps to plug and go.
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated

Latest posts

Back