VICBREW 2015

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife wouldn't let me anyway, she's mean like that!

Give her a few more of your beers to sweeten her up (or "other" things.... ;) ).

NB: Giving your spouse a riotously-good seeing-to on the washing machine during it's spin-cycle will not be an acceptable excuse for "rogue" entries to Vicbrew in a court of law.. :p

Got my steward app in and trying to paid for my brew entry, I select 'pay for my entries' and it just says 'payment pending'. What happens next?

Should add from there all i cant seem to do is cancel payments and it goes back one step, weird?

One day I will start brewing (as a spouse of an entrant). Before you ask, we haven't got around to dropping off entries yet. I haven't looked into it but are you required to use Compmaster, or is it optional?

A style question. a smoked helles entered in smoked beers(specialty) or helles (pale lager) categories? Think along the lines of a Schlenkerla Helles if you've ever had the joy of trying one.

I know I can enter in both..... by the way.

I don't think there is actually a "smoked beer" style within the specialty category. There is a "classic rauchbier" but a smoked helles would have to be entered as "other" I'm assuming??

Smoked helles in pale lager would suffer.
Spec for sure although it should be judged as a helles and what the spec ingredient brings to the overall balance. Good helles is really delicate (still complex) - smoke could easily overshadow.

MartinOC said:
I feel for you, sport....but them's the rules/guidelines:
Lucky Black n Tan has a Grolsh Bottle. Unfortunately this new rule rules out the Saison and Brett Saison I bottled In Champagne 9 Months ago.
I was giving them time to mature just for this comp. When was the decision to not allow these bottles made?

Will there be leniences regarding carbonation in the styles which a carbonation level id be frighten to put in a standard longneck is the expectation?

Does this rule carry through to the Nationals? or will your Vic brew winning under carbed comp beer be then judged against beers in appropriate bottles for style?

I get Champagnes a pain in the arse, but plastics bullshit for a big Belgian ive put my heart and soul into, and I cant imagine vic brews suggesting I run the risk delivering a bottle bomb to a steward.

HoppinMad said:
I don't think there is actually a "smoked beer" style within the specialty category. There is a "classic rauchbier" but a smoked helles would have to be entered as "other" I'm assuming??
Thanks "Other" it may well be then. Can't imagine it would fit classic rauchbier.

I used Comp Master about four weeks ago to enter and was not prompted for any OG FG yeast etc. do I need to do anything about this prior to dropping off my bottles next week?

Charst said:
Lucky Black n Tan has a Grolsh Bottle. Unfortunately this new rule rules out the Saison and Brett Saison I bottled In Champagne 9 Months ago.
I was giving them time to mature just for this comp. When was the decision to not allow these bottles made?

I've been bitching to the Committee about champagne bottles for years & it came to a head following last year's comp. The decision to exclude them for this year's comp was taken during the debrief. Rule changes are an ongoing evolution to improve the overall running of the Comp. Unfortunately, you've been caught by this one. Better luck next year.

Will there be leniences regarding carbonation in the styles which a carbonation level id be frighten to put in a standard longneck is the expectation?
Beers are judged as they are presented.

Does this rule carry through to the Nationals? or will your Vic brew winning under carbed comp beer be then judged against beers in appropriate bottles for style?

This rule applies to Vicbrew. I'm unable to answer for the AABC, nor for any other State competitions.

I get Champagnes a pain in the arse, but plastics bullshit for a big Belgian ive put my heart and soul into, and I cant imagine vic brews suggesting I run the risk delivering a bottle bomb to a steward.

I'm sure you & your friends will enjoy the beers you have, irrespective of whether they're entered in Vicbrew or not.

Andy_Chil said:
I used Comp Master about four weeks ago to enter and was not prompted for any OG FG yeast etc. do I need to do anything about this prior to dropping off my bottles next week?
No need to do anything at this stage. As long as the category/style is clearly stated, we'll take it from there.

"I've been bitching to the Committee about champagne bottles for years & it came to a head following last year's comp. The decision to exclude them for this year's comp was taken during the debrief. Rule changes are an ongoing evolution to improve the overall running of the Comp. Unfortunately, you've been caught by this one. Better luck next year. "

This says to me that the rule has been created because one person in the committee has a problem with champagne bottles. It almost sounds like you are saying that brewers are lucky you let us enter at all... so deal with it.

I don't see a single state comp this year disallowing champagne bottles, so is there are reason why chief stewards of those states can run a comp with champagne bottles and Vicbrew can't?

Also, I completely agree with charst with regards to carbonation levels of some beer styles not being suited to regular beer bottles. I certainly wouldn't be bottling a batch that required 4 volumes into regular beer bottles!

Rant over.... <_<

HoppinMad said:
"I've been bitching to the Committee about champagne bottles for years & it came to a head following last year's comp. The decision to exclude them for this year's comp was taken during the debrief. Rule changes are an ongoing evolution to improve the overall running of the Comp. Unfortunately, you've been caught by this one. Better luck next year. "

This says to me that the rule has been created because one person in the committee has a problem with champagne bottles. It almost sounds like you are saying that brewers are lucky you let us enter at all... so deal with it.

I don't see a single state comp this year disallowing champagne bottles, so is there are reason why chief stewards of those states can run a comp with champagne bottles and Vicbrew can't?

Also, I completely agree with charst with regards to carbonation levels of some beer styles not being suited to regular beer bottles. I certainly wouldn't be bottling a batch that required 4 volumes into regular beer bottles!

Rant over.... <_<
Wrong! We all hate them. They are too tall for our storage crates, which need to be stacked head high in the limited cool room space we have. A single champagne bottle can mean that we can't stack our crates in the order of which the beers will be judged. It is a massive PITA and it is not that hard to not use them.

Might I also add that this comp is run on a wholly volunteer basis where we give up a lot of time to further the cause of Victorian homebrew on a limited budget. If you would like to provide us with 40-50 stackable crates that hold champagne bottles then maybe we can revisit the issue.

HoppinMad said:

Your interpretation is incorrect. The ENTIRE organising Committee has a problem with champagne bottles. The rule was introduced for the better running of the comp. & was a unanimous decision by the committee as a whole, based on the suggestion raised by the Chairman himself. Deal with THAT!

As above, I can't answer for any other State or the National comp. This is a Vicbrew initiative.

I agree too. If that's the case, then don't put them into Vicbrew that excludes entry in those bottles & just enjoy them yourself. Simple!
Rant over.... <_<

Vicbrew does a sterling job but I feel the introduction of the 'no champaign bottle' policy has been poorly thought through and implemented:

1/ Changes to Vicbrew rules such as this require adequate notice. This has not been provided with the first notice of this change being embedded in the fine print of the entry form that was uploaded to the Vicbrew website in the last few weeks. If this is to become policy then make it for Vicbrew 2016. Implementing this rule with no notice will only adversely affect our representation at the AABC 2015 which is a key aim of Vicbrew: this is taken form the website "To represent the interests of Victorian amateur brewers at the national level and to promote the Australian Amateur Brewing Championships (AABC) in Victoria."

2/ Some styles require high carbonation and plastic bottles are not really suitable (or necessarily safe at high carbonation). So have a no champagne bottle policy but exempt the certain categories ie. 15. Belgian Strong Ales. This would mean only one category could include champagne bottles and would still address the storage issues, allowing most crates to be stacked. Surely that is a reasonable compromise??

OK, I've tried being diplomatic, but now I'll be blunt:

The rule stands. No further correspondence will be entered-into on this subject.

Thank you for your consideration.

Black n Tan said:
allowing most crates to be stacked. Surely that is a reasonable compromise??
only at the event itself, the people collecting them still have to be able to transport them which is also a PITA, if you're picking up from multiple venues and you have to shuffle bottles to different crates etc,.. well.. its shit..

PET can handle it..

Quote from Dr Google

Interestingly, the only time the cap failed was when they heat treated the
coke bottle beforehand, as shown in in these tests:
http://home.people.net.au/~aircommand/procedures.htm
Interestingly, in general, the larger the bottle, the lower the burst
pressure.
For example, while the standard 2 liter coke bottle with label burst at 168
psi, the standard 1.25 liter coke bottle burst at 185 psi.
Also interesting was the more gas (less liquid), the higher the burst
pressure; for example, that same 1.25 liter coke bottle burst at 190 psi
when it contained significant air.
In their last reported test, a 2 liter PET bottle failed at a lower psi
than you'd expect (150 psi) after simulated use (held at 130 psi for 3
minutes). This test might indicate plastique fatigue occurs with repeated
high pressurization.
So, I'd say Coke's report that all their bottles can handle 150 psi seems
reasonable as the MOP (maximum operating pressure) for PETE bottles.
BTW, those numbers are all way higher than the "guesstimates" made here:
http://www.instructables.com/answers/how_much_psi_does_a_coke_bottle2l_hold/

From Dr Gizoogle
No thangs up in dis biatch found fo' Interestingly, tha only time tha cap failed was when they heat treated tha coke forty beforehand, as shown up in in these tests:, up in general, tha larger tha bottle, tha lower tha burst pressure. For example, while tha standard 2 lita coke forty wit label burst at 168 psi, tha standard 1.25 lita coke forty burst at 185 psi. Also bangin-ass was tha mo' gas (less liquid), tha higher tha burst pressure; fo' example, dat same 1.25 lita coke forty burst at 190 psi when it contained dope air. Shiiit, dis aint no joke. In they last reported test, a 2 lita PET forty failed at a lower psi than you'd expect (150 psi) afta simulated use (held at 130 psi fo' 3 minutes). This test might indicate plastique fatigue occurs wit repeated high pressurization. I aint talkin' bout chicken n' gravy biatch. So, I'd say Cokez report dat all they bottlez can handle 150 psi seems reasonable as tha MOP (maximum operatin pressure) fo' PETE bottles. BTW, dem numbers is all way higher than tha "guesstimates" made here:

Just a suggestion, not really further correspondence...

Given it is too late to change the rules for this year anyway perhaps the good Vicbrew folk could/should acknowledge the feedback and say "thanks for the input - well take it on board for next year"

And then perhaps next year the rules could state something like "champagne bottles only accepted where it is appropriate to style" or more specifically "champagne bottles only accepted for style no. x.x"

Then all the brews that are best suited to big tall champagne bottles could be put in the same crate/s and just stacked to the side.

AND...as an even wilder thought. given that Vicbrew's stated objective is ""To represent the interests of Victorian amateur brewers..." they could send out a post comp survey to all entrants to gauge what their "intersts" are and ask the question "how could we improve on Vicbrew"

But for now I would like to sit back and have a nice home brew and think how lucky I am to have the Vicbrew volunteers. Thanks to all and sundry for all the hard graft that goes into the comp.

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Got my steward app in and trying to paid for my brew entry, I select 'pay for my entries' and it just says 'payment pending'. What happens next?

Should add from there all i cant seem to do is cancel payments and it goes back one step, weird?
Think I got missed in the midst of ze conundrum... :)

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Think I got missed in the midst of ze conundrum... :)
Sorry, I should've let you know I sent this issue to the Compmaster admin. to look at first thing this morning. Waiting on a reply (or there will be a response from one of them directly here).

Latest posts

Back