VICBREW 2015

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mardoo said:
I can shift to Sunday if you need more folks on Sunday Martin.
It's not just a matter of needing more folks on a particular day (this is difficult to explain, as it's a bit of a juggling-act...). Saturday is the BIG day, when we try to get through the bulk of the entries & break the back of what we've got to get through. I think we've currently got enough bodies to achieve that.

Sunday is still important, but is generally a bit more laid-back as we wind-down into the close. That said, there's a lot more cleaning/clearing/sorting & re-packing all the gear on the Sunday. Plus, the "weird-stuff" tends to come out on the Sunday... Choose your poison, my friend. You will be welcome either day.

Yob said:
Do it.. Speciality is Sunday if I'm not mistaken...
If last year is anything to go by, it'll go all weekend. It was the largest category by far....

Blind Dog said:
In for Sunday
WOOF!!!!

worthogs webmaster said:
Might be able to get Glenn up on one or both days, but I can't promise.
Oh, go on! Give the fella a leave pass! At least you'll know where he is.....

I'm hassling him to go! I've got him saying he'll do the Sunday, he's certainly got a leave pass from me. At least it's not my birthday this time!

worthogs webmaster said:
I'm hassling him to go! I've got him saying he'll do the Sunday, he's certainly got a leave pass from me. At least it's not my birthday this time!
You say that like you don't like a room full of blokes singing "Happy Birthday" to you??? It was my partner's Birthday one year & I went & got flowers & got everyone to sing for her. BOY, did I cop it (in the nicest possible way ;) )!!!

MartinOC said:
Correct.

I'll also add NO STUBBIES OR CHAMPAGNE BOTTLES WILL BE ACCEPTED! (ie. two 375ml stubbies submitted as a 750ml total entry will not be accepted - it's just too hard to manage logistically & for storage, as they don't fit in our crates).

I'll put this up in a Status update as well, just in case this post gets missed by some entrants.
Hmmm no champagne bottles :angry: Surely a change such as this needs to be broadcast to the brewing community well before it is implemented. Some beers are suited to champagne bottles such as highly carbonated and aged Belgian styles. I have a Belgian dark strong that was bottled sometime ago in champagne and grolsch bottles (450mL), so what do i do? Surely others will similarly caught out, so how about a transition period or some flexibility based on styles i.e.. champagne bottle only allowed for certain styles?

Black n Tan said:
Hmmm no champagne bottles :angry: Surely a change such as this needs to be broadcast to the brewing community well before it is implemented. Some beers are suited to champagne bottles such as highly carbonated and aged Belgian styles. I have a Belgian dark strong that was bottled sometime ago in champagne and grolsch bottles (450mL), so what do i do? Surely others will similarly caught out, so how about a transition period or some flexibility based on styles i.e.. champagne bottle only allowed for certain styles?
I feel for you, sport....but them's the rules/guidelines:

http://www.vicbrew.org/Files/EntryFormVicBrew2015.pdf

Rules & information:

"4. One bottle per entry (750ml preferred) with a minimum of 500 ml beer. No Champagne bottles please."

Now, with that stated & written in stone as the rules ARE, I can feel a certain laissez-faire, sorta-kinda vibe happening here with your 450's....... ;)

I can tell you from experience that champagne bottles are a massive PITA. They are slightly too tall for the storage crates which makes it a nightmare to stack crates in the cool room at the venue, which has limited space to begin with. As one of the monkeys who has to repeatedly stack and unstack crates I can tell you that the 750ml champagne bottles are really unhelpful.

I perfectly appreciate the reason for the rule, I was mainly concerned with the notice period for a change in rules.

Actually I am pretty sure those Groslch bottles I have are 500mL ones (quite rare, new glass blower with bigger lungs or some such), my mistake, move on, nothing to see here.

GalBrew said:
I can tell you from experience that champagne bottles are a massive PITA. They are slightly too tall for the storage crates which makes it a nightmare to stack crates in the cool room at the venue, which has limited space to begin with. As one of the monkeys who has to repeatedly stack and unstack crates I can tell you that the 750ml champagne bottles are really unhelpful.
WOT HE SAID!

manticle said:
Make a label for the 450s that says ~500mL
:rolleyes:

Black n Tan said:
I perfectly appreciate the reason for the rule, I was mainly concerned with the notice period for a change in rules.

Actually I am pretty sure those Groslch bottles I have are 500mL ones (quite rare, new glass blower with bigger lungs or some such), my mistake, move on, nothing to see here.
Enter it...it'll be fine.

Edit: Go & change your armour....

Drop off Early Saturday 12/09/2015

What classifies as "early".. Doesn't bother me as I'll be dropping mine this weekend but might be good to have a clear time for peeps

That would be before the collection points close for business on that day, since entries will be collected before they close.

so wouldnt it be best to state a 10am time or some such, as a previous mule, I know that some people get multiple shop to collect from at they need to be at the LAST one by COB, which means they might be at their first on 10-11am..

Im just suggesting stating an early time so as folks wont miss the mule.. some folks dont bottle till the day, I know I have in the past, setting an early time may save some grief..

:)

Quote from one of the "Mules":

"Pickups will be from 12/09
In the very rare case where a country pickup is at say 11am and some dil
complains his entry submitted to brew store at 12:59 didnt make it we
tell them its too bad unless they arrange to get entry to us themselves
by (arbitrary deadline).

In reality many collection points will have pickup a few days after the
deadline but its not possible to have someone in Sale and Geelong and
Ballarat and Bendigo at closing time of brew shop on Sat 12th"

Lesson from this is to get your entries in THIS weekend if you're unable to get them there during the week. Don't leave it until the death-knell on the 12th.

About to register a couple of entries through compmaster. Just curious as to why OG, FG and yeast strain is required? I don't have a problem with it, just wondering what that info is used for. Does this help the judges?

Back