Free Food & Beer This Weekend At Vicbrew In Melbourne

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfy

Reaction score
There is already a VicBrew thread in the 'Brewing Competitions & Results' forum, but not everyone reads that forum and some more help is needed, besides everyone should appreciate Free Food & Beer*.

When: Sat 2nd and Sun 3rd October 2010
Where: Belgian Beer Cafe Eureka, 5 Riverside Quay, Southbank
What: Help as a Judge or Steward at VicBrew
How: Email the competition organiser: Mark Hibberd

VicBrew is on this weekend in Melbourne and some additional people to help would be most appreciated - the preliminary schedule has some categories short on Judges and some Stewards managing two categories.

You do not need to be an expert brewer or have an extensive knowledge of beer or home brew to help out.
Even if you have never entered or participated in a Home Brewing competition before, everyone is most welcome, you do not need BJCP or any other special qualities or qualifications.

Assisting as a Steward is no more difficult than sorting bottles of beer, pouring beer into glasses and keeping a record of what you've done.
If you have experience, BJCP qualifications or are familiar with the BJCP guidelines you may like to offer to help as a Judge.
It's also a great chance to see how a competition is run, see and experience what other Home Brewers are making and to improve your own beer-making or competition entries in the future.

*Free food & beer disclaimer:
All Judges will be provided with 11 to 36 samples of top quality home brew beer to judge.
Judges will be provided with copious quantities of palate-cleansing cheese, fruit, bread or crackers.
Stewards may get a chance to sample some top quality home brew beer.
Lunch is provided for all Judges and Stewards.

pleasssseeee help! Ive only got 36 entries to drink judge :icon_drunk:

no seriously, support your state, we need you! :beerbang:

Sounds awesome...if I had a few more weeks to organise myself I bloody should have. Sorry to let the Vic side down...

more info and might be interested..free on sunday.

Sessions start at 9:30 Saturday and 10am Sunday.

Stewards and Judges required for both - as per Wolfy's original post.

Sunday is a smaller session, would expect it to be done mid-arvo-ish or thereabouts.

If you can help out - be sure to let Mark Hibberd know on the email addy above in the OP.

more info and might be interested..free on sunday.
On Saturday there are 12 Categories scheduled to be judged and 6 (plus one carry-over) on Sunday, so according to the preliminary schedule, some more judges are needed on Sunday but Stewards are fine.
On Saturday (with the grand final replay and all) a number of additional Judges and Stewards would be very helpful.

But if you can come and help on either day, send Mark and email as per the OP.

Will check travel arrangements and email. Would love to get involved.

i contacted Mark last night and stewarding or judging here i come!! Last year was great :party: Got a mate coming along for the first time and he's keen to steward too. :p

Good on you Brett!

The more the merrier!

Andy

would be nice if ALL you guys were this excited about other vic clubs comps. Pale Ale mania struggled this year, how many of you enterd or offerd to judge/steward?

would be nice if ALL you guys were this excited about other vic clubs comps. Pale Ale mania struggled this year, how many of you enterd or offerd to judge/steward?

Fents - I offerred to assist a few times, even inquired as to what was going on - big fat zero response.

That couples with the fact that entries were only accepted at Greensborough might explain why the response was underwhelming.

Obviously not every comp can be in an inner city location & it would make sense that the comp be sort of near where the club is based but the problem for me is that all the other comps are in whoop, whoop pretty much.
Pale Ale Mania - Diamond Creek, Belgian -Yarra Valley, German - Dromana, Beerfest - Mirboo, British - Belgrave (I think).

I'm not lucky enough to have a SWOBLAHBLAH to be my designated driver for a day & using Pale Ale Mania as an example it would take me roughly an hour and a half each way on public transport.

Vicbrew being a central location for everyone and being maybe a slow 5 minute walk from Flinders St is pretty handy & also the fact that it's the qualifying comp for AABC is obviously going to mean people are more interested.

Hey Fents, while I understand where you are coming from, there was not even an 'advertisement' here on the forums to promote this years Pale Ale Comp, or a public request for judges/stewards (that I saw then or can find now), so if you (or the organizers) don't ask ... then help cannot be offered.

if was around at the time and the competition was local to me i would of offered.if staff was asked for

Latest posts

Back