VICBREW 2015

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking forward to Vicbrew this year.

I am looking at my biggest entry in a comp ever with 7 submissions.

For all but one of them I have a back up bottle on the off chance every else submits infected bottles and I get into the Nationals.

How many is everyone else getting in?

primusbrew said:
About to register a couple of entries through compmaster. Just curious as to why OG, FG and yeast strain is required? I don't have a problem with it, just wondering what that info is used for. Does this help the judges?
I do know that OG and FG are used to create order of the flight, such that the lighter styles beers are judged before the heavier styles. Not sure if the judges are privy to this though.

primusbrew said:
About to register a couple of entries through compmaster. Just curious as to why OG, FG and yeast strain is required? I don't have a problem with it, just wondering what that info is used for. Does this help the judges?
Long story short, that extra information requirement goes back a long time (PM me if you want to know the sordid details....) & yes, that information is used in sorting-out the serving order & correct category allocation.

It's there this morning when I looked at entering a Belgian Pale but wasn't there where I entered my RIS...

Dunno...

Bugger. I've added it in for past entries. Guess it hasn't been fully fixed yet. I'll just include it with my entry I guess.

Sorry, fellas. No idea what's going on there. Maybe AndyD is doing some updates? I'll shoot him an email & see what's going on & get back to you.

Compmaster changed so all my entries have no descriptions.. just on the bottles.. but the last beer i put in late has compmaster descriptions.

Same, I entered last week and extra options weren't there. might add a label with ABV to each bottle.
Oh somehow I managed to find 6 entries B-)

1441245617548.jpg

GrumpyPaul said:

How many is everyone else getting in?
I did a carpet bomb with some average beers

MartinOC said:
Geez, mate. That's some SERIOUS restraint!!

Wouldn't it be ironic if you were to take-out Best Novice & Champion Beer of Show gongs....
Ha, little chance of that.

Restraint came from not feeling like I had any knowledge to contribute, so I've just been reading and learning over time. I might actually get prepared for next years comp and start bottling a few more batches.

MartinOC said:
Sorry, fellas. No idea what's going on there. Maybe AndyD is doing some updates? I'll shoot him an email & see what's going on & get back to you.
OK, this was brought to AndyD's attention last night & has been fixed. It looks like when last year's comp was transferred to the updated version, these fields got missed. All good to go.

beaker said:
Ha, little chance of that.

Restraint came from not feeling like I had any knowledge to contribute, so I've just been reading and learning over time. I might actually get prepared for next years comp and start bottling a few more batches.
No problem, sport! Everyone starts off like that. Perfectly natural. You're increasing your knowledge & that's where the improvements start to take-off. Beer is made in the head first......Then you gotta drink 'em to find out how much better you're getting...

GrumpyPaul said:
Define carpet bomb....
Indiscriminate (ie. inaccurate) flooding of categories/comps with as many beers as you can in the hope of hitting the target. A numbers game, rather than a quest for accuracy.

There was a bloke many years ago that did this (as well as other unscrupulous stuff). That's why there's the "2 entries per category/1 per sub-style" rule.

MartinOC said:
Indiscriminate (ie. inaccurate) flooding of categories/comps with as many beers as you can in the hope of hitting the target. A numbers game, rather than a quest for accuracy.

There was a bloke many years ago that did this (as well as other unscrupulous stuff). That's why there's the "2 entries per category/1 per sub-style" rule.
Mine are all in style, for me it was 13 different styles that had had brewed over the last 6 months, some are quite average, but I bottled them so the judges can have em as well

Hi Martin,

I don't know if it's too late, but I have put my name down as 'judge' for Saturday. More just spectate and see how things are done.

Cheers,
Idzy

mxd said:
Mine are all in style, for me it was 13 different styles that had had brewed over the last 6 months, some are quite average, but I bottled them so the judges can have em as well
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......shiiittttttt............ZZZZZZZZZZ............Can SOMEONE please increase the drag on this reel????....zzzzzzzz.........

idzy said:
Hi Martin,

I don't know if it's too late, but I have put my name down as 'judge' for Saturday. More just spectate and see how things are done.

Cheers,
Idzy
Possibly too late to be allocated as a dedicated judge, but if you want to learn your palate/judge-craft, there shouldn't be a problem with slotting you in with a panel so you get to see how everything is done. Each panel should have a BJCP qualified judge on it, so you'll get some valuable experience/guidance. Just come & see me on the day & we'll work it out. :)

I heard that if you have too many entries for a style you can just enter them in your wife's name as long as she helped you bottle them. Is this true?

I know that situation to which you refer, oh brewer of utmost integrity....

It has to be accepted ('though frowned-upon by those that know the people involved...) & un-challengeable according to the rules.

The brewer's wife is no longer able to qualify as Novice etc...etc.....

Let it be said that if there is/are winning entries from the spouse, that words will be had with the offending person...

Back